Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 12:48 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,556,796 times

Advertisements

PS: Just checked, direct flights from Dulles to Boise. Can't wait to hang out at the new lake house, which looks friggin' AWESOME!!! Congrats!

Bears driving a speedboat. Now, that's hilarious!

PPS: I'd get a smart thermostat as well (assuming you have wifi at the house). That way you can warm it up while you're on your way to it in the winter, be nice and toasty when you walk in. And, of course, a couple of movable wifi cameras so you can check in on the view from afar (say, at work on a Wednesday).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 01:57 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,743,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
PS: Just checked, direct flights from Dulles to Boise. Can't wait to hang out at the new lake house, which looks friggin' AWESOME!!! Congrats!

Bears driving a speedboat. Now, that's hilarious!

PPS: I'd get a smart thermostat as well (assuming you have wifi at the house). That way you can warm it up while you're on your way to it in the winter, be nice and toasty when you walk in. And, of course, a couple of movable wifi cameras so you can check in on the view from afar (say, at work on a Wednesday).
Thank you!
We do need to get the smart thermostat, good idea!
We have cameras already.

Old 10-11-2018, 01:59 PM

7,785 posts, read 18,826,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
I’m not overly concerned about a backsplash being dated, as long as it blends well and looks nice. The plan is for this place to be a family place for us, our kids and grandchildren and probably won’t be sold at least till after DH and I die.
This is what I have in my “real” kitchen in town. I picked it three years ago when we remodeled and I love it’s warmth and the way it looks. Suits the cherry cabinetry and oak floors very well.

I don't mind the wall color, which looks pretty "earth neutral" but I definitely don't like the darker ceiling.

I like the glass tiles in your "home" kitchen - what is that countertop material?
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 10-11-2018, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
I don't mind the wall color, which looks pretty "earth neutral" but I definitely don't like the darker ceiling.

I like the glass tiles in your "home" kitchen - what is that countertop material?
Its a quartz countertop.
My kitchen flows into a room that we made into the dining room and it has a big stone fireplace and chimney and barrel vault ceiling. The countertop kind of echoes the look of the stone in a subtle way.

I love having a dining room with a fireplace. Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners are amazingly cozy.

The gold color works...it’s just not my personal favorite. And definitely not the ceilings. Even the detached garage is completely gold inside.
After years of being a vacation rental it definitely needs a paint job from top to bottom. Everything in its time.

Old 10-11-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Given the size of the kitchen, and granted all personal opinion here (and my tastes usually suck anyway), I like the smaller tile idea personally. Think it would give a more proportionate feel to the overall size of the kitchen.

This is our last house. Time these two picture were taken, the tile was 3 years old and had held up perfectly. Home Depot specials, I'm sure we've all seen these already, but we loved them. Came in 12 x 12 sheets whereby the tops were straight but the edges were not (one row of tile would extend about a tile longer than the one above and underneath) which prevented the appears of squares. Flowed together seamlessly. I used a sticker paper to mount them, and it held up perfectly. Made it very easy. A little mortar and cleanup after install. Took me a Sunday to do and was done. I can't recall cost exactly, but certainly less than $1,000 for everything.
Love the backsplash!

The bears in the speedboat print....I love this Montana artists work. It’s kitschy, but great kitschy.

Mason Maloof Designs

Old 10-11-2018, 02:25 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
Misty,

I don't know if this is your taste or not, and it may be too "busy" for some people, but we are going for a tin tile backsplash in our new build. It's cheap and easy to install, but it's probably not everyone's taste. I personally love the rustic/industrial thing.

https://www.americantinceilings.com/...acksplash.html

(I am not associated with this company in any way - it's just what we are using)

Old 10-11-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Misty,

I don't know if this is your taste or not, and it may be too "busy" for some people, but we are going for a tin tile backsplash in our new build. It's cheap and easy to install, but it's probably not everyone's taste. I personally love the rustic/industrial thing.

https://www.americantinceilings.com/...acksplash.html

(I am not associated with this company in any way - it's just what we are using)
I love this! Copper would be nice too.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:56 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,403,838 times
Not sure why you think the cabinets aren't "warm", they look like a warm maple-tone to me. And I agree the floor kind of clashes with it, even in the picture you took from the living room. The first thing I would do is get under-cabinet lighting, as someone else recommended -- it is way too dark in there.

As for tile, I'd probably look for something neutral that ties together the cabinet, counter and appliance colors. So the maple color with some black and some gray....nothing with white because it's gong to look awful with the floor, and not just straight beige because you'll have too much beige between the cabinets and floor.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Not sure why you think the cabinets aren't "warm", they look like a warm maple-tone to me. And I agree the floor kind of clashes with it, even in the picture you took from the living room. The first thing I would do is get under-cabinet lighting, as someone else recommended -- it is way too dark in there.

As for tile, I'd probably look for something neutral that ties together the cabinet, counter and appliance colors. So the maple color with some black and some gray....nothing with white because it's gong to look awful with the floor, and not just straight beige because you'll have too much beige between the cabinets and floor.

Hmmm.
Well, I would *guess* that the reason I said they aren’t warm is because they aren’t. They are a bleached type of wood and dont look warm at all in real life. They are quite cool in tone. You can insist that they must be really warm in tone if you like, but it’s of no help to me because they aren’t. I’m not sure why you’d think I’d lie about it.

As i also said earlier, there IS under cabinet lighting and the room is actually quite light and airy from the many windows and sliding doors. Not dark at all.
Thanks for your opinions though.

Old 10-12-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Hmmm.
Well, I would *guess* that the reason I said they aren’t warm is because they aren’t. They are a bleached type of wood and dont look warm at all in real life. They are quite cool in tone. You can insist that they must be really warm in tone if you like, but it’s of no help to me because they aren’t. I’m not sure why you’d think I’d lie about it.

As i also said earlier, there IS under cabinet lighting and the room is actually quite light and airy from the many windows and sliding doors. Not dark at all.
Thanks for your opinions though.
Oops. Looks like I didn’t say there is undercabinet lighting.
There is. Just hadnt turned it on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating