Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2018, 09:37 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
I found these panels at lowes. They are exactly the colors I love and only $15 a piece. I think they would look nice. Also I was thinking maybe an antique french door over the couch horizontal with a wreath or possibly some photographs in the panes
I like those and I think they’d look very nice. Get some decent black rods. Now build on those colors with some other accessories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2018, 09:41 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,627,476 times
I like to put my money into a comfortable seating area and places for you to get comfortable. You can buy cheaper lamps and things but you are going to appreciate a good seating area for years to come.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:54 AM

603 posts, read 445,480 times
Quote:
I found these panels at lowes. They are exactly the colors I love and only $15 a piece. I think they would look nice. Also I was thinking maybe an antique french door over the couch horizontal with a wreath or possibly some photographs in the panes

I would choose the rug first and then the curtains.

I like the french door idea.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:48 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Very pretty. I would caution you about putting a french door with window panels over the couch. And the reason is because - it would be a giant pain to clean/dust. I'm assuming you don't have to worry about earthquakes in NJ? We can't put things like that over furniture out here in CA, in case of earthquakes. But, even still, it would be a real pain to have to climb up onto the couch to clean and dust it. It might look really cool on a different wall, though, that you could reach more easily.

I had another thought when someone mentioned the living room had a bowling alley effect. Why not put a chair or small loveseat (if there is enough space to get around it) - to close off the seating area in there?

Make the seating area a "U" shape in front of the fireplace, instead of the "L" shape it's in now. Put an area rug in the "U" and it would make it cozy. Maybe even use one of the sectional pieces? I need to look at the photo again to see if that would be possible. But, if not, put a comfy chair to close up that space.

Old 11-03-2018, 10:54 AM

Actually, looking at the photo again - is there any way you could bring the whole seating area in front of the fireplace - away from the window? Bring it all closer to the fireplace, and maybe put a window seat bench under the window or writing desk or something. But, having the seating way over there under the window is too far away from the fireplace, and just looks off-center. Can you bring the seating all in front of the fireplace to create a cozy "U" in front of it? And still have a path to the window area? I'll look for some photo ideas online.

Old 11-03-2018, 11:25 AM

I also noticed that the TV is over the fireplace. I really think you need to move the seating to be in front of the TV and fireplace, so you don't all have to crane your necks. Here are some ideas that show the seating away from the walls, and moved in front of the fireplace/tv:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e7/6a...9ae5b6bfed.jpg

This one shows a window seat and you could put storage under it - the idea being that you can put the furniture in a "U" in front of the fireplace, and have a separate window seat at the window behind the sectional:

https://cdn.homedit.com/wp-content/u...nding-unit.jpg

This one shows a sectional moved over in front of the fireplace, and a separate seating area by the window, too:

https://kelleynan.com/wp-content/upl...ookshelves.jpg

Here's another option, where you turn the sectional around, if that's possible, and just leave a traffic flow in front of the fireplace - just showing a different furniture placement:

https://www.ballarddesigns.com/howto...furniture3.jpg

This website has a ton of drawings of options on how to place furniture different ways in different rooms and also has lots of good decorating advice:

https://fredgonsowskigardenhome.com/...oom-furniture/

Old 11-03-2018, 03:01 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
The panels look great, and they will brighten up the space. Just be sure you get the 96" (guessing, based on your room, be sure to measure) length and hang the rod halfway between the ceiling and the top of the window trim, and make sure the panel goes all the way to the floor.

Using accurate measurements of your room, measure from ceiling to floor and don't hang the rod so it hugs the window, like this:

https://stylebyemilyhenderson.com/bl...ains-all-wrong

If you scroll down, you'll see examples of how not to hang pre-made panels.

It's gonna look great!

Old 11-05-2018, 06:01 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
While I like your creativity with the French Door idea, I will toss a word of caution into the mix. I think you are correct on identifying the span of space to decorate and add interest, but I think a door will add a "heaviness" factor that in my opinion you don't need. Instead maybe you could mock up a french door with moulding. The lack of the "door" will focus the attention on the art and not add weight. Just my opinion.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:35 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,247,148 times
Hmmm I'll do some research and see if I can find some inspiration photos to work off of. You may be right about it being heavy in the room with my already large sofa.

Old 11-05-2018, 01:55 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
Quote:
Just bought a new house and I'm decorating slowly. I just got the chairs I ordered for the reading nook. I'm worried it looks crowded. It doesnt feel crowded though. Opinions?

1 pic is the reading area
2 pic is opposite the reading area

It's a very large long room
For the reading area, pull the chairs a little bit away from the window so you can add a nice curtain. Hang the rod high (use a nice looking rod) and two drapes on either side. Use a bright color. Add a half round rug if you can find one (rectangular if you can't) in proper dimensions (use masking tape to determine size. Add a tall lamp that will fit the table.

On the opposite side use the same style rod and drapes for that window. If you can, pull the couch away from the window so the long end of the sofa's end is a few inches across from the end of fireplace. Add a sofa table under the window for two lamps and ditch the corner lamp. A small rectangular rug similar to any rug you use on the reading end. ETA: Seeing the other picture, move the kiddie chair and pull the couch down to where it is so that it is more in line with the fireplace. Put the kiddie chair next to the fireplace, you can move it easily if needed for tv watching but for everyday look sit it next to the fireplace for now ditch it when the kiddie can't fit anymore.

Add pictures, no rush, choose wisely.

ETA: Add colorful toss pillows

Last edited by NorthofHere; 11-05-2018 at 02:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating