Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2018, 05:07 PM

1,042 posts, read 873,216 times

Advertisements

My house is crazy quircky! Our garage has a room built over it. Turns out that the 'garage" was actually where the animals lived,and the room above was the original house. When, after walking the 37 concrete steps [ 50 original settlers wagon wheels as rails] up the side of the mountain to reach the "new" house,you have to decide which of the doors to knock on.Most people choose correctly, as one door is pretty much at ground level and the other you have to climb a few steps to reach. If you pick the wrong door,and open it,you will be standing in front of the top half of our basement and the bottom half of our main level.

While waiting to be invited into the home. you probably won't miss the many MAPLE wood raised gardens. That is what we did with the built-in murphy beds. You also might notice the 2 seater outhouse and the old fashioned incinerator, in perfect condition,now overflowing with dried out flowers and vines [winter has hit]

When you walk through the french doors, you will be hit with the warmth emanating from the huge fireplace
and smell something cooking from a lil invention my husband built into the fireplace.

Someone will request that you open a door, any door other than the one you just walked through. That is when you will notice that all of the interior doors to our home have 6 inch thick solid doors.

The bedrooms, you will notice,have tons of windows, but the rooms are actually quite small.But we have built in so much storage that it all works.

When you walkinto the kitchen, it will feel so regular, like any other kitchen, until we tell you that the original countertops extended only 10 inches, and when you look at the faucet, we remind you that there was no running water until a bit over a year ago.

Our bathroom, until a little over a year ago, did not exist.It was a part of our huge great room. Also, if you look on the window from the outside.you will see the rope and pulley that was used to hoist in supplies without having to carry them up the many steps.

Our house is small,but people who are not familiar with it tend to get lost in it and call it a maze.

We have put so much work -our work, not a contractors, including rebuilding all 37 steps- into this quircky little house. We have had to make upgrades, like plumbing and electricity, but we have donne nothing to interfere with its' quirkiness. This has been an awesome retirement project.so, does anyone else have a quircky little house that they love?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 05:18 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times
Sometimes I have seen houses that are quirky and not what I would logically build. But sometimes they are so charming that the "flaws" are worth it.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:19 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
Sounds charming and much loved! Can you post pics?

Old 11-11-2018, 05:21 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Yes, I would love to see some pictures. It sounds intriguing!!

Old 11-11-2018, 06:15 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Sounds really fun!

I've rehabbed and built different homes and cabins. Nothing as unique as yours, though. But, I love refurbishing and remodeling a place, so it sounds like great fun to me :-)

Old 11-11-2018, 06:55 PM

1,042 posts, read 873,216 times
I have never figured out how to put pictures up online, but when my nephew shows up on Tuesday or Wednesday I will ask if he will help me with it. Of course I'll have to throw in a few pictures of our goats and chickens too.

Old 11-11-2018, 08:50 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
It is obvious that you love your house. May you have many years of happiness in it.

Old 11-12-2018, 06:05 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
VICKY, do you know the history of the home? Or as an addict to Antique Roadshow, the provenance?

Old 11-16-2018, 05:13 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,194,222 times
Your house sounds so cool! I love homes that are kept to their uniqueness.

Old 11-16-2018, 01:07 PM

25,436 posts, read 9,793,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky3vicky View Post
My house is crazy quircky! Our garage has a room built over it. Turns out that the 'garage" was actually where the animals lived,and the room above was the original house. When, after walking the 37 concrete steps [ 50 original settlers wagon wheels as rails] up the side of the mountain to reach the "new" house,you have to decide which of the doors to knock on.Most people choose correctly, as one door is pretty much at ground level and the other you have to climb a few steps to reach. If you pick the wrong door,and open it,you will be standing in front of the top half of our basement and the bottom half of our main level.

While waiting to be invited into the home. you probably won't miss the many MAPLE wood raised gardens. That is what we did with the built-in murphy beds. You also might notice the 2 seater outhouse and the old fashioned incinerator, in perfect condition,now overflowing with dried out flowers and vines [winter has hit]

When you walk through the french doors, you will be hit with the warmth emanating from the huge fireplace
and smell something cooking from a lil invention my husband built into the fireplace.

Someone will request that you open a door, any door other than the one you just walked through. That is when you will notice that all of the interior doors to our home have 6 inch thick solid doors.

The bedrooms, you will notice,have tons of windows, but the rooms are actually quite small.But we have built in so much storage that it all works.

When you walkinto the kitchen, it will feel so regular, like any other kitchen, until we tell you that the original countertops extended only 10 inches, and when you look at the faucet, we remind you that there was no running water until a bit over a year ago.

Our bathroom, until a little over a year ago, did not exist.It was a part of our huge great room. Also, if you look on the window from the outside.you will see the rope and pulley that was used to hoist in supplies without having to carry them up the many steps.

Our house is small,but people who are not familiar with it tend to get lost in it and call it a maze.

We have put so much work -our work, not a contractors, including rebuilding all 37 steps- into this quircky little house. We have had to make upgrades, like plumbing and electricity, but we have donne nothing to interfere with its' quirkiness. This has been an awesome retirement project.so, does anyone else have a quircky little house that they love?
You house sounds awesome! I love quirky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating