Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 06:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Hi, y'all. I have a question. Paint is not my strong suit - I just want to pick a color I like and for that color to look great but it doesn't work that way!

I have rich tan, almost like a butternut squash color, on two opposite accent walls in a large space. I am going 25 percent of that color, which is still pretty darn rich and deep believe it or not, on the walls, and I have white trim. I have a big open staircase and then a dining room ceiling (lower but still ten feet) and an office ceiling across the stairwell from the dining room (ten feet tall also). Lots of trim, which will be painted a warm white.

What color do you think I should do the ceiling? White or white with just a touch of the tan color in it? There is a lot of light in this area. I'm leaning toward the white with a touch of the tan in it but to be honest I don't guess I've ever looked at ceilings that hard before!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 08:03 AM

15,143 posts, read 27,781,251 times
I'd go w/white for a crisper look - a "touch" of tan in it could be it look stained/like a smoker lived there..... You might try a drop or two of blue - that actually brightens it.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:06 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
White ceilings, always.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:08 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,927,723 times
Oh gosh, that is a tough question. I am leaning toward white since you mentioned you had white trim. I personally love white trim and ceilings. I love the contrast of any color against white. However, your idea of a slightly colored tan ceiling to go with the walls sounds good also. In the house I'm in right now all my ceilings are white and so is all the trim, but in past houses I have had colored ceilings blending in with the wall color. I seriously loved them all, both white and colored ceilings. A lot of help I am, right? Haha!

Old 11-29-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I'd go w/white for a crisper look - a "touch" of tan in it could be it look stained/like a smoker lived there..... You might try a drop or two of blue - that actually brightens it.
Hmm... Good point about the tan looking stained. I didn't think of that.

KA, since you mentioned "there is a lot of light in this area", I don't think you need to brighten it with blue. White is plenty bright.

Last edited by geebabe; 11-29-2018 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: Hmm...

Old 11-29-2018, 08:12 AM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Wear goggles/glasses when you're painting.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Wear goggles/glasses when you're painting.
Oh, I'm not painting it! I'm hiring it done.

They are going to bring me a sample of the paint with five percent tan in it today.

I actually like the idea of a slightly, slightly blue tint. What I DON'T want is a ceiling that's exactly the same color as the trim because there is so much crown molding that I want to show off and right now the ceiling and trim are the same color and it's just blah.

I painted my porch ceilings a very light eggshell blue and I love them, but those are outside. Still...hmmmm. I feel another trip to the paint store for samples coming on!

Old 11-29-2018, 08:51 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
If your trim is a warm white, choose a “ ceiling white”. Believe me, it WILL show off the trim.

Old 11-29-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh, I'm not painting it! I'm hiring it done.

They are going to bring me a sample of the paint with five percent tan in it today.

I actually like the idea of a slightly, slightly blue tint. What I DON'T want is a ceiling that's exactly the same color as the trim because there is so much crown molding that I want to show off and right now the ceiling and trim are the same color and it's just blah.

I painted my porch ceilings a very light eggshell blue and I love them, but those are outside. Still...hmmmm. I feel another trip to the paint store for samples coming on!
Oh, that makes sense about the crown molding. I trust you'll know the right color when you see it. Judging by the photographs you've posted in the past of your home, you have a good handle on color and placement.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
Oh, that makes sense about the crown molding. I trust you'll know the right color when you see it. Judging by the photographs you've posted in the past of your home, you have a good handle on color and placement.
Thank you - I can't believe how difficult it is to find the right color. That's why I'm not in the paint business. It stresses me out because color is so important to me but color changes so much with lighting and whatever else is going on, type of wall, other colors throughout the home, etc.

Believe me, I never even noticed the color of the trim and then the paint guys were all "what color of white is this?" I don't know - it's twenty years old and I didn't pick it out! YIKES!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating