Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 10:07 PM

37,588 posts, read 45,944,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I just googled out of curiosity--- is this it?
https://www.lowes.com/pd/allen-roth-...Sample/3743949

It sounds like it will go with what you have (but yes it would be good to post pix of what you actually have- not what I am imagining ... but it is busy.
That said though, if you picked it you must like it and if that is the case, go for it!
If that^^ is it, I would definitely select another pattern. It looks like a granite wannabe, but an old spotty dated granite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 05:44 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,412,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
You are going to think I am crazy, but, when I picked our my granite, I too was worried about it being too busy and kept looking and looking at different slabs. The salesperson at the granite place told me to stand back and squint at the slab and it might help me not "see" the pattern and see the overall look. I must say as silly as it sounds he was right. He was an older man and I really thought he was pulling my leg when he said it. Of course, you probably are only looking at a sample, but I would see if that trick works.
You know, this reminds me back in the day looking through wallpaper sample books (talk about dizzying!!) and someone suggested looking at it in a mirror. It was very helpful and probably a bit similar to what you are describing. Somehow easier to see the overall effect and view rather than looking directly at it.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:06 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,404,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post

If that^^ is it, I would definitely select another pattern. It looks like a granite wannabe, but an old spotty dated granite.
I hate to rain on the OP's parade, but I agree. It's ugly and busy and passe. Though the fact that it's passe wouldn't really matter if it wasn't busy and ugly.

Now if resale doesn't matter and you really love it and don't like anything else, then ignore us. But if I were buying your house, that counter would be the first thing to go. Open up a design magazine and you won't see busy spotted counters anywhere.

You already have dark wood cabinets that aren't changing. About the only thing that keeps a kitchen with dark cabinets looking fresh, is white or cream counters.

Old 12-03-2018, 03:16 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
If you have warm wood colored cabs, you might consider a cooler background for your counter. Saffron is a beautiful yellow. But you are going to have a lot of visual warmth in that one room.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:20 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
I have a dark brown with flecks of other colors (I didn’t pick it). I don’t like the dark color because you can’t see the dirt on it.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:15 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,404,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

I have a dark brown with flecks of other colors (I didn’t pick it). I don’t like the dark color because you can’t see the dirt on it.
Tell me about it. I am renting a not too old house with splotchy Formica-type counters. The counters are in good shape, but they are SO ugly. The colors and pattern look like actual dirt, so I always feel dirty just looking at them even when freshly cleaned.

I'll probably be here another year, so that's another year of staring at something gross. I have no doubt the person who built it thinks it's great. The sad thing is that they could have installed Formica that looks decent.

I rented one house with solid cream counters and all the rest have been busy granite. I think the last one had a less busy granite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating