Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 10:09 AM

7,245 posts, read 7,071,499 times

Advertisements

One of these days I will figure out how to upload full sized pictures and not just these thumbnails...

So here are the pics. The color is a light gray. Pics are showing the following, not necessarily in order:

The look of the piece after I sanded it.

The nail holes for the doors puttied - I'm not putting the doors back on.

Paint job - top and sides.

The shelves that I cut to replace the glass shelves I'm not going to use again. Simply I always feared breaking them, to be honest. The wood is some maple I got from Lowes, believe it or not!

Today I am going to:

Cut the shelves (done!) - prime them (done!) and then paint them gray (upcoming)

Install the shelves. I have L brackets and bracer pieces for that.

Buy and cut the backboard. I'm going to get a piece of beadboard to replace the original board - mostly just because I like beadboard.

If I can get all that done I will be happy.

Tomorrow we have guests coming over so no work planned until Sunday.

Still to do after that: I'm going to look at cutting the scrap I will have left of the beadboard to fill in the two side pieces which were originally glass. This may be a disaster and not work, or it might look like crap - I'm trying to visualize it but I can't quite tell if it will work. If it fails, I may do one of three things - leave it open - get decorative sheet metal instead (expensive tho) - or put the glass back on the sides (worst option).

LUNCH TIME!

Last edited by kab0906; 01-05-2021 at 01:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 02:20 PM

Well I didn't get as much done as I wanted.

Got the beadboard. Got it cut, including the curly side panels which was a bit tricky. Got a bit more painted but that was it. Frankly I ran out of energy and my back is tired!

Here's what the side panel will look like. Of course I need to paint it first but I think it will work ok.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:49 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
Wow, it's really beautiful! Love the chalk paint.

Old 12-08-2018, 05:54 AM

10,048 posts, read 18,064,388 times
Agree with NoMoreSnow! I know you were worried about how the beadboard would turn out, OP, but do you like it? From that 1 picture in post #22, I think it looks great (I love beadboard too!).

Old 12-08-2018, 10:21 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
So far so good - I think this looks great!

Old 12-08-2018, 02:09 PM

I'm pretty happy with it so far!

All the pieces are now painted and ready for assembly. Our guest thing today went a bit sideways so I did have a chance to finish the painting .

Here it is with all the pieces just set into place. Tomorrow I will begin waxing the individual pieces - I figured it would be easier to get inside it while still unassembled. I won't actually assemble it until the waxing is finished.

Old 12-08-2018, 02:53 PM

215 posts, read 258,632 times
Turned out beautiful, love it! So great to repurpose things and give them new life!

Old 12-08-2018, 08:40 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,491,098 times
Wow, I just love it. You'd never recognize it. I'm pleased with your decision to remove the top piece that dated it. Without it, and the more popular chalk paint, you'd never know it was a dated piece. It's just gorgeous. You should feel really proud and pleased!

You're inspiring me to paint an old dresser I got for free that's super dated, that I have in my hobby room. I attached a couple of slats to the back of it, and attached grow lights to those via a couple of plant hangers, and I have the grow lights over a large tub full of thriving fresh basil. It's my indoor garden and that room always smells so heavenly with the fresh basil, and I have a shelving unit with some other herbs and plants. It just smells so good in there.

In that same room, I also have my converted dresser that I made into my tool bench that I uploaded photos to above. I call that room my hobby room. I'm thinking maybe I should paint both of them with a matching chalk paint, to match the wall color. It would make that room look so much bigger...

Whoever said retirement is boring? There's always another project... :-)

Old 12-09-2018, 08:17 AM

322 posts, read 280,749 times
Quote:
Wow, I just love it.

me too NoMoreSnow. i would love similar sort of with the frenchy cabriole type queen anne? legs - up a little higher. for tv stand. whitish.

Now I am so motivated. Good job kab0906!!! you did good.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:37 AM

Thanks everyone. No update today, too many other things going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating