Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 11:12 PM

389 posts, read 595,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Either perfect wood floor match or new carpet.
I agree. It would look very odd to have two different hardwoods.

If you are able to find the same hardwood and match to what is existing, great!

If not, then I would just replace with new carpet. I prefer carpet in a bedroom anyways. I have a "no shoes policy" on my carpets and they don't have a single stain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2019, 01:33 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
OP, I don't think you've clarified whether that is hardwood or not, and also whether or not you have the budget to re-finish all of it if you wanted to. From the photos, it looks more like engineered to me but it's not a great photo. If it's a manufacturered product (which could also include prefinished hardwood), I would try to figure out exactly what it is and see if it's still available, and match it exactly even if it's not your preferred color.

2nd choice would be to match it as closely as possible, and hope that any difference is insignificant - look at different brands and styles to get as close a match as you can.

3rd would be to replace with carpeting, again, understanding it's not your preference but you are limited by what's there.

and a very, very, very distant 4th would be to replace with something completely different, which includes a completely different color of wood or tile. It's just too small of an area to have multiple flooring material there. People understand the wood/carpet transition (or a carpet/tile transition for a bathroom) because enough people like a carpeted bedroom that it's relatively common to see those transitions. But other than that it's just too visually jarring.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:43 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Since we're all obsessed with resale value, you should know it's second to murder if you don't have matching hardwoods throughout the house, only exceptions being the bathrooms and maybe the kitchen.
LOL. Not even close. Most everyone in my social circle wants carpet in the bedroom. And lots of folks have discovered the new rigid core flooring. which looks great and is far less expensive than wood. It’s even less than the new carpet I just had installed last summer - although granted I chose an excellent carpet.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:25 PM

20,027 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
LOL. Not even close. Most everyone in my social circle wants carpet in the bedroom. And lots of folks have discovered the new rigid core flooring. which looks great and is far less expensive than wood. It’s even less than the new carpet I just had installed last summer - although granted I chose an excellent carpet.
Sacrilege! You take that back or the gods at HGTV will unleash their wrath on you! LOL

Old 02-10-2019, 06:08 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Sacrilege! You take that back or the gods at HGTV will unleash their wrath on you! LOL
Haha. Yanno I don’t have cable so I only see bits and pieces of HGTV, mostly at work in the break room or at the gym. I enjoy some of their content..but it’s just entertainment. It is cool to see the different things that can be done, but it’s just a source for ideas. I think the only people that consider them “Gods” are themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating