Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 07:10 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,430,427 times

Advertisements

I’m on CD a lot but seldom here so bare with me if this is repeating. When we were replacing a microwave we discovered the top cabinets were pulling away from the wall. Given this are most likely original cabinets in a 20 year old home we decided it made more sense to replace the top cabinets than repair. This is a second, snowbird, home in Florida so I’m trying to keep costs down by only doing the top but my problem is matching. It is a white kitchen and I’m concerned abut matching whites. Here are my questions.

Has anyone done or seen a darker color on top in kitchen cabinets? I’ve usually seen light over dark so have a hard time visualizing it. One designer found a nice taupe color that is t so dark and actually matches my counter too. Hopefully I can add a picture where the sample is above my microwave. I’m concerned about trying to match whites given the age and knowing there are multitudes whites out there.

Another question is construction. I know the pros and cons of pressboard vs plywood but wondered just how much I should consider it. I’m concerned with the weight of pressboard and hanging a large 42” high cabinets on a wall that I don’t know what’s behind. I know in Florida there the humidity issue but it is in climate control so again not sure how much of an issue this is for upper cabinets.

I have almost a double in cost estimates between white presswood vs color plywood. I was told the plywood is about 20% more so know much of the differential is due to plywood and color, just trying to figure out what is important. Will color look good or am I taking a chance on matching whites? I intend to get a backsplash in as well and will be redoing the hardware overall to pull it together. Just need to figure out color and construction. Any thoughts, suggestions or experiences are appreciated.

Edit, I know a picture will be tremendously helpful, but how do I add one from my iPad?

Last edited by choff5; 01-11-2019 at 07:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 07:17 AM

2,509 posts, read 2,496,198 times
If you keep the white on the bottom, I would paint them a dark color (like a dark grey or a navy) and then put new white ones up top. I still think you might have some issues getting a top and bottom 20 years apart to look ok together. But the dark paint on the bottom might help

Other than that, have you considered taking them down and putting up shelving. That is quite "in" right now and could look really pretty. You could even put the backsplash up the entire wall

Something like this

https://www.elledecor.com/design-dec...tchen-shelves/

This is cute too (first picture)

https://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/ro...racks-pictures

Old 01-11-2019, 07:49 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,429,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
I’m on CD a lot but seldom here so bare with me if this is repeating. When we were replacing a microwave we discovered the top cabinets were pulling away from the wall. Given this are most likely original cabinets in a 20 year old home we decided it made more sense to replace the top cabinets than repair. This is a second, snowbird, home in Florida so I’m trying to keep costs down by only doing the top but my problem is matching. It is a white kitchen and I’m concerned abut matching whites. Here are my questions.

Has anyone done or seen a darker color on top in kitchen cabinets? I’ve usually seen light over dark so have a hard time visualizing it. One designer found a nice taupe color that is t so dark and actually matches my counter too. Hopefully I can add a picture where the sample is above my microwave. I’m concerned about trying to match whites given the age and knowing there are multitudes whites out there.

Another question is construction. I know the pros and cons of pressboard vs plywood but wondered just how much I should consider it. I’m concerned with the weight of pressboard and hanging a large 42” high cabinets on a wall that I don’t know what’s behind. I know in Florida there the humidity issue but it is in climate control so again not sure how much of an issue this is for upper cabinets.

I have almost a double in cost estimates between white presswood vs color plywood. I was told the plywood is about 20% more so know much of the differential is due to plywood and color, just trying to figure out what is important. Will color look good or am I taking a chance on matching whites? I intend to get a backsplash in as well and will be redoing the hardware overall to pull it together. Just need to figure out color and construction. Any thoughts, suggestions or experiences are appreciated.

Edit, I know a picture will be tremendously helpful, but how do I add one from my iPad?
Personally I don’t care for two toned cabinets. I bet your cabinets are like mine, really not paintable but if they were I would get cabinets unfinished on the top and have both top and bottom painted. Get cabinets in white as close to the same white as the bottom. In otherwords, if bottoms are creamy white get creamy white. You can get a sample door to compare. Seeing they are at two different heights separated by countertop and wall you probably won’t notice the difference. As to pressboard vs plywood, what are your cabinets now?

Old 01-11-2019, 10:07 AM

Kitchen Cabinets, type and color questions-7beffb72-f5d3-492a-8471-ae6a7b53155d.jpeg

I’m still trying to upload. Think I got it but it may be upside down!

Thanks for the comments so far. Definitely not doing open shelves as I want to hide my mishmash of assorted dishes, etc. Current cabinets are the presswood, whatever it’s called. Maybe I shouldn’t worry about weight as I have no idea when or why the other ones started pulling out. I think my main issue is how to match what’s there. I need to get a sample of white to really see how it looks with my current white.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:40 AM

Maybe I missed it, but why not try to repair and re-anchor the current cabinets? Perhaps they weren't installed correctly the first time

Old 01-11-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookspage View Post
Maybe I missed it, but why not try to repair and re-anchor the current cabinets? Perhaps they weren't installed correctly the first time
I have no idea. I guess my thoughts are if they are over 20 years old, is it worth repairing? Maybe I am being short sided but just wasn’t sure if it was worth putting money into something that old.

Old 01-11-2019, 11:14 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
Quote:
I have no idea. I guess my thoughts are if they are over 20 years old, is it worth repairing? Maybe I am being short sided but just wasn’t sure if it was worth putting money into something that old.
cabinets can and should last 20 years and beyond. as long as nothing's warped/bowed. you can also look online and see if the cabinet is still manufactured. if that's the case, maybe you could replace just the one upper?

Old 01-11-2019, 11:47 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Completely depends on the cabinets. If they are well built, you may never have to replace them.
Mine were built “ in place” buy an excellent local well known cabinet-maker, before he got to be “ well known” here. I probably could never afford him today. My house is 24 years old and in perfect shape. I did just paint them when I updated my kitchen. They look wonderful.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Completely depends on the cabinets. If they are well built, you may never have to replace them.
Mine were built “ in place” buy an excellent local well known cabinet-maker, before he got to be “ well known” here. I probably could never afford him today. My house is 24 years old and in perfect shape. I did just paint them when I updated my kitchen. They look wonderful.
You are fortunate. This house was built by Pulte in 1997 so while I think it may have been one of the models, I highly doubt these are top of line cabinets. Haven’t found a name on them and both Home Depot and Lowe’s designers looked at the pictures and said they weren’t being made anymore. They are raised panel and I know I can come close on the dstyke but it and paint that concerns me.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
My house is twenty years old too, so I hear you

This would be my thought process. If I could afford to rip them all out, top and bottom, and update them all, great. If not, I wouldn't want to replace the top and have them not matching. I'd be unsure they would ever look right. In that case, I'd rather repair/re-anchor them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating