Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2020, 02:32 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,956,016 times

Advertisements

We're looking for ideas for our galley kitchen. I wish we could make it bigger, but I think we're going to just move the appliances around. The fridge blocks the view of part of the eating area and towards the den, and we don't use both of our (double) ovens.
In our proposed layout, the fridge would move where the raised double ovens are, so there won't be any loss of counter space. Then we'd put the oven(s) under the range that we already have in that space (one unit). The rest would be counter space all the way around the corner, which would add some storage to partly make up for the lost second pantry. The wall where the pantry was would be gone, so we'd have more visibility to the den. I think counterspace is needed more than second pantry, when we're all trying to make food, fix lunches, etc in the morning and need space. We're going to get some quotes later this year.

Please post some pics of your updated galley kitchen.

Our current layout:

Proposed layout:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 03:19 PM

2,373 posts, read 1,911,170 times
We had a similar plan that we loved. Similar to #1. Except the bathroom was elsewhere. And instead there was the recessed space/not front wall/ with bookshelves when we moved in which was perfect for us. We put a chair in that section for reading.

At your table, we found a narrower rustic looking farm table was better for space. That side had windows at our house so it was good for the view. It was also great as a buffet table.

The pantry had two levels. The lower double door cabinet with pullout drawers for the heavier things like cans. The upper cabinet had double doors (better for space if the pantry door opens and someone wants to pass through from the den). And there was a two level large turntable there which was great for seeing things, reaching...because the pantry cabinets were deep. The turn table almost reached the sides. The spaces at corners or a little at the sides we could put jars or boxes of things.

If you can, get a light in there. The previous owner of our house loved electrical work and outlets. Since there was an outlet in the pantry cabinet we put a nightlight in it for some handy lighting.

In the pantry there was was additional height. It went up very high. At the top we kept the containers for cakes we brought events or people, containers that applied to the pantry such as chip containers, etc so we could put the product in the container right there and then on the farm table or right outside on the deck.

Our counter set up was similar. On the window side we had no fridge and a short counter where yours is long--> then a double sink--> then the longer counter with the d/w under it --> then the gas range --> then a medium counter.

You might look into whether you would like a microwave over the gas range. And then whether you want it to exhaust out or in. We wanted the smells to exhaust out. Remember requirements for height from stove top to microwave.

But before we got the over oven microwave we had a smaller one on the right end beside the stove top.

On the opposite side we had a sort of wrap around but not curved. Ours was originally a squared countertop but we got one that cut off the point of the square for better spacing and continued it back much like you are showing....to the pantry. Beside that the fridge and beside that the wall oven.

Cabinets above...the former owner made good use height. Above the fridge, above the oven. And below the oven. So a step stool was part of the kitchen.

Old 04-19-2020, 03:33 PM

4,834 posts, read 3,262,003 times
I might move the range a bit more toward the table so as to have more counter between it and the fridge... but other than that, I like it.

Old 04-19-2020, 06:01 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,514,297 times
Given the bathroom is in the only location available, you're limited to stick with the galley style kitchen.

You've done about all you can do with the revised plan. It'll work just fine. You can also put a bunch of shelving in the small pantry, and you wouldn't believe what all you can get in there with a little planning. I measured the diameter and height of my cans when I put the shelving in my pantry.

We had one of the GE Profile ceramic top electric ranges with the double convection ovens below. Loved it.
We have stacked double Kitchenaid convection ovens in our new house, and they're so slow to heat up. But replacements would be between $2750 and $3250--ouch. We're keeping them, however. We suggest looking to see if an induction cooktop would be affordable on your new stove.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:27 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,956,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I might move the range a bit more toward the table so as to have more counter between it and the fridge... but other than that, I like it.
I hadn't thought of moving the range. Electrical and the water line for the fridge are easy to run behind the cabinets. I've seen it done that way to avoid as much work in walls or slabs. That's another option to consider, but I think I do like it being across from the sink for some reason.

Thanks for the replies so far.
I'm also wanting one of those drawer microwaves that are in the lower cabinets (currently it's over the range). That way we can have a hood.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:50 PM

17,707 posts, read 29,800,391 times
What does your kitchen designer say?

Old 04-20-2020, 09:55 AM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
I'm also wanting one of those drawer microwaves that are in the lower cabinets (currently it's over the range). That way we can have a hood.

Why on earth would you sacrifice cabinet space for a drawer micro!? A standard galley kitchen have so little cabinet space to begin with...

O/R microwaves are exhaust vents- it's just a matter of actually venting it to the exterior- and that usually is hard to accomplish because either the location is an interior wall, the ceiling above has living space, the joists are running in the wrong direction, the distance to the exterior exceeds the code requirement, or the floor of the kitchen is concrete.

Galley kitchens are a very efficient use of space- and they are a true "one person" kitchen! Most ideas I've seen that try to make a galley kitchen something it isn't fail; because it's a galley kitchen.

Old 04-20-2020, 10:46 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,310,989 times
Personally I'd slightly rather have the refrigerator on the same side as the sink, because a great deal of the stuff that comes out of the fridge and ends up on the stove or in the oven goes across the sink in the process (vegetables, etc.)

Depending on how you use a pantry you may want to reconsider going back and forth constantly from the kitchen around your kitchen table to get stuff. In a small house you're likely to be running into the corner of that table and the chairs constantly.

Old 04-20-2020, 10:48 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,310,989 times
I never understand why so many people hate galley kitchens. For efficiently preparing food, you can't hardly beat that layout. They're called "Galley" because they're derived from the kitchen on a ship - you know, where a small number of cooks have to rapidly prepare a large amount of food for hungry sailors, then clean up efficiently and maintain sanitation.

Old 04-20-2020, 11:18 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,888,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I never understand why so many people hate galley kitchens. For efficiently preparing food, you can't hardly beat that layout. They're called "Galley" because they're derived from the kitchen on a ship - you know, where a small number of cooks have to rapidly prepare a large amount of food for hungry sailors, then clean up efficiently and maintain sanitation.
A dead end galley kitchen is problematic but one like this open on both ends is fine, very efficient and generally easy to cook in if the distance between the countertops is sufficient but not too wide. Also beneficial to have the sink and range if on opposite sides to be offset a bit so that a person can be at each station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating