Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 04:00 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,959,953 times

Advertisements

On the dark wood floors—I had my light oak floors stained dark, and I love them. But because of them, I ended up using brown for my shades and blinds.

I think painted cabinetry is popular now. But it will not be forever trendy. If you love painted cabs, go for that. White is very, very popular now. Choose white wisely. There are cool whites, warm whites, yellow whites, green whites, blue whites—you get the picture. Stay away from true white. You could also choose from a multitude of grays, greens or blues.

But if you love wood toned cabs, I think they would be fine too. If you choose dark floors, choose similar tones for cabs, but lighter. Do not do dark cabs. IMO, they would look dated, unless they are very modern in style.

I would also advise you to get a color match for your blue walls to the litho. Go online at Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams to search for a match. If you can obtain a color chip, so much the better. Since this is the known thing in your scheme, get a chip and possibly a quart of paint. Paint a big piece of white foamcore, leaving white margins all around. Look at it. Imagine having it on all your walls. Make sure it is what you want, and proceed from there.

When you choose your floors, you can hold the painted board up to the stain samples and see how they look together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 05:03 PM

385 posts, read 320,718 times
silibran -- excellent advice. Thank you.

I did make an effort to find an interior designer. I found three listed for Montrose, and drove to their locations, and all three had closed down and gone out of business. There is so much outdated information still on the Internet -- we need crawlers to "roam" the Internet and delete, delete, delete . . .

However, I found an interior designer who does color coordination in Grand Junction, and I am also waiting on an interior designer to call me (she works in Ridgway), so things are cooking.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,959,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by townshend View Post
silibran -- excellent advice. Thank you.

I did make an effort to find an interior designer. I found three listed for Montrose, and drove to their locations, and all three had closed down and gone out of business. There is so much outdated information still on the Internet -- we need crawlers to "roam" the Internet and delete, delete, delete . . .

However, I found an interior designer who does color coordination in Grand Junction, and I am also waiting on an interior designer to call me (she works in Ridgway), so things are cooking.
I think your plan to consult with a designer is excellent.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:38 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,673,422 times
May I make some suggestions after viewing your floorplan.
First: There's a lot of windows for a house that size. Windows let in heat in the summer and don't insulate well during the winter. And with all those windows means less space to hang shelves and wall storage because that house is very small and you'll want more than a tiny bedroom closet to store your stuff. Closet space is the first thing I think of in a house.

Another suggestion is there are two doors to go through to get to the bathroom at night. If that were my house, I'd move the door to the bedroom closer to the mudroom and take the door off the bathroom. I don't know if you're planning on company - I didn't read all your post, mainly just looked at the floorplan. If you need a private toilet, then make a toilet stall by itself with a door.

If you love windows, put an opening on one of those interior walls. Add a barn door to slide across. Another part of having something open on the interior walls is for heat, light, air flow. That's why open concept homes work.

As for paint - Look up popular paint colors in neutrals. There are tons of listings on designers that use certain colors and colors that sell houses. Revere Pewter - Look that color paint up and see what I mean. I discovered all that when searching for common colors due to HOA restrictions and providing pictures of what the painted result would look like. Yeah, it wasn't fun.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:45 AM

385 posts, read 320,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
May I make some suggestions after viewing your floorplan.
First: There's a lot of windows for a house that size. Windows let in heat in the summer and don't insulate well during the winter. And with all those windows means less space to hang shelves and wall storage because that house is very small and you'll want more than a tiny bedroom closet to store your stuff. Closet space is the first thing I think of in a house.

Another suggestion is there are two doors to go through to get to the bathroom at night. If that were my house, I'd move the door to the bedroom closer to the mudroom and take the door off the bathroom. I don't know if you're planning on company - I didn't read all your post, mainly just looked at the floorplan. If you need a private toilet, then make a toilet stall by itself with a door.

If you love windows, put an opening on one of those interior walls. Add a barn door to slide across. Another part of having something open on the interior walls is for heat, light, air flow. That's why open concept homes work.

As for paint - Look up popular paint colors in neutrals. There are tons of listings on designers that use certain colors and colors that sell houses. Revere Pewter - Look that color paint up and see what I mean. I discovered all that when searching for common colors due to HOA restrictions and providing pictures of what the painted result would look like. Yeah, it wasn't fun.
I appreciate your post, but I think you were looking at a different floor plan -- possibly the Alaskan? After clicking on my hypertext link, you have to select my floor plan -- Base Camp. The Base Camp has no mudroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating