Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 11:59 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,338,834 times

Advertisements

OK, I am not satisfied completely with the kitchen countertop in my modest 1939 house. If someone thinks of an option I haven't listed below, let me know.

- Tile; this is what was original. Hard, grout, can crack. Would prefer not to have this.
- Wood (butcher block style); looks pretty good, will age and develop patina and stains and so on, will not look new for very long, even with fanatical care which I am not going to do.
- Quartz/granite: too anachronistic for me, at least all of it I've ever seen.
- Marble: fragile, stains easily, probably way too grandiose
- Formica: what's on there now; it's OK, love the price and ease of replacing, pretty durable, but haven't really found a color I like. The metal-edged 50s/60s style I like, but it doesn't fit a 1939 Art Deco style house.
- Corian/similar: anachronistic, but it can look like all kinds of things, but I haven't seen any I really thought would look good.
- Soapstone: probably a good fit for the age of the house, but I think it only comes in dark colors, is that correct?
- Linoleum: Also probably fits with the age, but I am not sure I've ever seen it done in real life. Does it also need a metal edging?

Other possibilities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 12:00 PM

14,496 posts, read 12,141,672 times
Can you post a picture?

Old 03-25-2019, 12:08 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
I think you have them all covered.
There is concrete...and epoxy counters look cool.

Agree that a picture would be most helpful.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:06 PM

4,694 posts, read 3,478,467 times
My 1936 house has recycled glass countertops. Obviously they aren't original but boy do I love them.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:12 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,227,947 times
If you like the idea of marble but not the maintenance, there are lots of quartz options that look like marble, so you'd have the age-appropriate appearance with the easier care and durability of a modern material

just one example but most of the brands have several marble-looking options

https://www.caesarstoneus.com/collec...ra-white-5151/

Old 03-25-2019, 09:45 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,905,530 times
There are so many laminate countertop options that are vastly better than the cheap, thin products that so many of us are used from decades back. I would seriously look into a color-through, high quality laminate product that you could have fun with the multitude of pattern and color variations that might work great for your vintage, artsy home.

I’ve worked in commercial/institutional architecture firms where we are constantly exposed to the vast array of products out there- you might be surprised with the truly high quality options available.

Linoleum (now called Marmoleum) isn’t really a countertop product but rather a flooring product.

Old 03-26-2019, 04:51 AM

38 posts, read 21,126 times
Post a picture so we can get better idea.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:31 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,426,982 times
Soapstone, when left alone, will go grey. It's needs to be oiled to stay looking darker, I think my folks said they do theirs twice a year. But if you want "perfect looking" (per your comments on butcher block), this also isn't the right choice. It's a Very soft material and takes dings, nicks and scratches easily. There's also a variation to the coloring (like all natural products). It's easily my favorite counter material, but I like rustic looking that develops character... I had "perfect looking" before, it takes too much effort to keep it looking that way.

Your choice depends on what you want to look to be, none of us are spending the money nor do we have to live with the results. Where I like natural products (butcher block is #2 on my list), you clearly don't. I also tend towards period correct for historic homes, so I'd be looking for tile options with a super-thin grout line.

You'll probably get better ideas (and corrections of misconceptions) by visiting a professional to see different options.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:38 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,094,679 times
Since you added some negative connotations to pretty much all countertop materials- I don't think you'll be satisfied with any choice.

Perhaps revisit your list and note all the positive things that are attributed to each material- then perhaps you can make an educated decision based on the information before you.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:42 AM

10,101 posts, read 6,444,912 times
You might try Wilsonart Laminate. It's like Formica but has many more color and pattern choices. I know the kitchen place that is going to do the counters in my 1959 house offers both but lists them separately on their website. My neighbors had Wilsonart countertops and they were pretty stunning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating