Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2019, 12:01 PM

913 posts, read 884,831 times

Advertisements

I will be remodelling a kitchen this summer and found the quartz countertop I would like to use, but it doesn't give the color name or make of it. I am just hoping someone may be familiar enough to offer information. TIA
Attached Thumbnails
Does anyone know the name of this quartz?-screenshot_20190327-083218.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 12:08 PM

3,550 posts, read 3,112,174 times
White Princess and White Fantasy are the two names I hear people use when they want a white quartz that looks like White Carrara marble.

One thought, though. This type of quartz has been very heavily used and promoted by the HGTV redecorating shows for the last 3-4 years. Which means it will soon be associated with a particular era. Decorating features that become associated with an era are always the first features to look really dated. It might not matter to you (and hats of to you in that case, since I've always thought people should get what they like and not give two hoots if someone else considers it dated). But be prepared for friends who might say "Oh, your kitchen looks SOOOOO 2016!"

Old 03-27-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
White Princess and White Fantasy are the two names I hear people use when they want a white quartz that looks like White Carrara marble.

One thought, though. This type of quartz has been very heavily used and promoted by the HGTV redecorating shows for the last 3-4 years. Which means it will soon be associated with a particular era. Decorating features that become associated with an era are always the first features to look really dated. It might not matter to you (and hats of to you in that case, since I've always thought people should get what they like and not give two hoots if someone else considers it dated). But be prepared for friends who might say "Oh, your kitchen looks SOOOOO 2016!"
Lucky for me I always just do what I want. I am doing a smaller white shaker cabinet kitchen and love the grays, but hate the solid colors or blotchy colors. I love the look of quartzite, but in reading up on it I am concerned about needing to seal it twice a year and etching. Low maintenance girl here. I will check out the 2 names you named though.Thanks

Old 03-27-2019, 12:56 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
What you want to search on is: Quartz Calacatta

Old 03-27-2019, 01:34 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post

Those are marbles - NOT quartzes. They actually get marketed as quartzite, and then people buy them and find out they scratch and etch....but if you love marble, and can deal with it, they are beautiful.

Marble will never be dated. It's been used for thousands of years.

Old 03-27-2019, 01:41 PM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradrops View Post
Lucky for me I always just do what I want. I am doing a smaller white shaker cabinet kitchen and love the grays, but hate the solid colors or blotchy colors. I love the look of quartzite, but in reading up on it I am concerned about needing to seal it twice a year and etching. Low maintenance girl here. I will check out the 2 names you named though.Thanks
You don't need to seal quartzite IF you get one that is a TRUE quartzite. The problem is that natural stone is just that - natural - and as such can have many different properties. Most, if not all, of the quartzites that "look like marble", are in fact, mostly marble. There may be some quartzite in there, but the composition is mostly marble. And as such, it will behave as a marble does. I have seen many "quartzite"
counters that wound up with marks around the edges where water soaked into the stone. Using a poultice to remove it, and then sealing it properly, is the only way to prevent that on these types of stone.

Quartz on the other hand, NEVER needs sealing. EVER. Check out LG Viatera Rococo.

http://www.lgviaterausa.com/products/289/188

Old 03-27-2019, 04:09 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I will have to look at granite as well I think. Most of the quartz I see is more of a white marble look with gray veining, I am looking for something more gray with gray and white veining. I just want the counters to have more gray than white because I don't want it to look to sterile, white on white cabinets. The search continues but I have time.

Old 03-28-2019, 05:50 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
That does look more like quartzite to me rather than (manufactured) quartz.

I would recommend taking the photo into a granite yard near you and asking them what they have that looks like it.

Old 03-29-2019, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
That does look more like quartzite to me rather than (manufactured) quartz.

I would recommend taking the photo into a granite yard near you and asking them what they have that looks like it.
So in searching for hours I have to agree with you saying it looks more like quartzite. I think I found a good granite match though.

https://5.imimg.com/data5/YL/JE/MY-7...te-500x500.jpg .

Old 03-29-2019, 01:04 PM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauradrops View Post
So in searching for hours I have to agree with you saying it looks more like quartzite. I think I found a good granite match though.

https://5.imimg.com/data5/YL/JE/MY-7...te-500x500.jpg .
That is definitely more gray which is what you were looking for. I also prefer granite. Well done!! (now to find it locally
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating