Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 10:26 AM

577 posts, read 493,266 times

Advertisements

A nice old house. The one thing that caught my attention that I hope the floor contractor addresses, is the old "dropped mortar bed" floor method that was used to install the floor tiles in the bath room.

We framed some homes back in the early 70's for floor tiles just like they did in the old days prior, using the same method as the OP homes bathroom shows being used. And it has since been proven by tile contractors to not be the best method, to use today.

The sketch attached that I have drawn is my attempt, at trying to point out what I am stating. The mortar bed ends up thinner on top of the joists in most cases, while trying to keep the height of the tile floor to a minimum for door way transitions to the floor outside the bathroom/room. Joist deflection and thin mortar bed can = cracks. JMO

Last edited by greglovesoldtrucks; 05-22-2019 at 06:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2019, 10:35 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greglovesoldtrucks View Post
A nice old house. The one thing that caught my attention that I hope the floor contractor addresses, is the old "dropped mortar bed" floor method that was used to install the floor tiles in the bath room.

We framed some homes back in the early 70's for floor tiles just like they did in the old days prior, using the same method as the OP homes bathroom shows being used. And it has since been proven by tile contractors to not be the best method, to use today.

The sketch attached that I have drawn is my attempt, at trying to point out what I am stating. JMO
I really appreciate the feedback. I've been more focused on the plumbing and electrical for the space while the walls are open (making sure the fan/heater is on a dedicated circuit with proper wire sizing, proper slope of drain lines etc.) but that is good feedback. I will to talk to my GC regarding how he plans to build that bed back up just out of curiosity.

What do you typically see done for an old house like this. Build it back up with cement board?

Old 05-22-2019, 12:16 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I love the house. I'm pretty familiar with those types of homes, living near Dallas and being interested in real estate anyway. I used to be a licensed realtor and my "specialty" was historic and older homes, though I practiced real estate in the Tyler area.

I agree with your decision to update the bathroom, even though I grieve the loss of the tile. Just don't make it look like every other bathroom! I love when vintage homes are kept in a similar style in which they were built.

No need for a towel warmer in the Dallas climate - just my two cents' worth.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I love the house. I'm pretty familiar with those types of homes, living near Dallas and being interested in real estate anyway. I used to be a licensed realtor and my "specialty" was historic and older homes, though I practiced real estate in the Tyler area.

I agree with your decision to update the bathroom, even though I grieve the loss of the tile. Just don't make it look like every other bathroom! I love when vintage homes are kept in a similar style in which they were built.

No need for a towel warmer in the Dallas climate - just my two cents' worth.
Thank you

As you probably know then, due to the age of our our neighborhood, it is a very interesting mix of houses. They range from 800ft2 to over 3000ft2. There are absolutely gorgeous custom mid century modern homes that I would weep for if people tore them down or gutted them, there are classic texas ranches...and then there are tiny boxy, brick cottages with very little personality. Construction in this neighborhood mostly ranges late 40s to late 60s. This house used to be one of the carbon copy brick cottages until the previous owner put a lot of work into it.

The bones of this home are great. The foundation passed with the home inspector and two different foundations companies (a sigh of relief in this area), the electrical panel has been updated and nearly the entire house (with the exception of one room, which I am fixing) has been updated to grounded outlets and GFCI where required. The laundry was brought from the one car garage into the home. The plumbing was updated nearly everywhere except the bathroom and part of the main leaving the house. It's in very good condition for the age. But I guarantee you that lots of the other potential buyers would have torn it down. Many of these small brick homes in this neighborhood have been torn down for new construction in the 3 years that I have lived in Dallas.

I know not everyone will agree with remodeling a vintage bathroom, but I just feel glad to continue to utilize this older home, instead of seeing it turned into a 3000ft2 new construction renters duplex.

Old 05-22-2019, 02:17 PM

577 posts, read 493,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbather View Post
I really appreciate the feedback. I've been more focused on the plumbing and electrical for the space while the walls are open (making sure the fan/heater is on a dedicated circuit with proper wire sizing, proper slope of drain lines etc.) but that is good feedback. I will to talk to my GC regarding how he plans to build that bed back up just out of curiosity.

What do you typically see done for an old house like this. Build it back up with cement board?

It is up to your builder really. He may not even have any issue, with the way the drop down floor is built. Because if its changed = more money for you to spend. But if I was renovating my bathroom and it had the dropped mortar bed flooring, I would do what is in my sketch for my new tile floor.

Your builder AND the tile contractor should have the answers for your question though. It is all about where the top level of the BR tile will be when its done, at the Bathroom/Hall way floor transition. Do not want a large "step up/down" transition in a doorway.

NOW, if you tell them that, " A guy on the internet told me my old bathroom floor system is not built good enough for new tiles to be laid on ".... then prepare yourself to get from them a big sigh, and maybe even them doing a face palm or two. JMO

Last edited by greglovesoldtrucks; 05-22-2019 at 06:33 PM..

Old 05-22-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greglovesoldtrucks View Post
It is up to your builder really. He may not even have any issue, with the way the drop down floor is built. Because if its changed = more money for you to spend. But if I was renovating my bathroom and it had the dropped mortar bed flooring, I would do what is in my sketch for my new tile floor.

Your builder AND the tile contractor should have the answers for your question though. It is all about where the top level of the BR tile will be when its done, at the Bathroom/Hall way floor transition. Do not want a large "step up/down" transition in a doorway.

NOW, if you tell them that, " A guy on the internet told me my old bathroom floor system is not built good enough for new tiles to be laid on ".... then prepare yourself to get from them a big sigh, and maybe even them doing a face palm or two. JMO
haha. I understand and I appreciate the insight. What you showed is similar I had in mind with the concrete board. But of course I will defer to the contractor. He came recommended from friends who are pretty picky, and he has passed the sniff test for me so far on the electrical and plumbing items I had and his proposed solutions. It is just nice to understand how other people have approached these projects as well.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:29 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Quote:
I am definitely adding another receptacle to the bathroom. Probably one on each side of the vanity.
Not the same as adding an outlet for the fancy toilet washlet.
Do it now as it will cost almost nothing.
Adding it later will be expensive.

Same with towel warmer.
Prewire now.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Not the same as adding an outlet for the fancy toilet washlet.
Do it now as it will cost almost nothing.
Adding it later will be expensive.

Same with towel warmer.
Prewire now.
We're not really interested in a bidet but for someone that is, it would be a good idea to put it in now for sure.

As far as the heater, I debated heated floors and I debated a towel warmer. But it is Dallas and we very rarely would utilize that. I am however putting in a bathroom exhaust fan with a built in electric heater (on a separate breaker from the rest of the bathroom). The heater will be on a dedicated switch with a timer so that you can set it to run for a certain amount of time when you hop in the shower and it will auto cut off. Also provides some safety vs someone accidentally leaving it on.

It's a very small bathroom and will get very toasty, very quick with the 1.4 kW heater. We'll probably still only use it a dozen times per year in Dallas. But, it didn't cost much more to get the fan with the heater and to wire the extra switch.

I also have a receptacle going in the area where I am installing floating shelves so that small electronics can be plugged in. Something like a phone or a smart speaker can be plugged in and left on the shelving during a shower, not sitting near the sink/water.

Last edited by Sunbather; 05-23-2019 at 11:13 AM..

Old 05-24-2019, 07:37 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
We're not really interested in a bidet but for someone that is, it would be a good idea to put it in now for sure.

As far as the heater, I debated heated floors and I debated a towel warmer. But it is Dallas and we very rarely would utilize that. I am however putting in a bathroom exhaust fan with a built in electric heater (on a separate breaker from the rest of the bathroom). The heater will be on a dedicated switch with a timer so that you can set it to run for a certain amount of time when you hop in the shower and it will auto cut off. Also provides some safety vs someone accidentally leaving it on.

It's a very small bathroom and will get very toasty, very quick with the 1.4 kW heater. We'll probably still only use it a dozen times per year in Dallas. But, it didn't cost much more to get the fan with the heater and to wire the extra switch.

I also have a receptacle going in the area where I am installing floating shelves so that small electronics can be plugged in. Something like a phone or a smart speaker can be plugged in and left on the shelving during a shower, not sitting near the sink/water.
When we renovated our master bath a few years ago, we debated a heated floor and/or towel warmer as well. We live near Dallas as well, and we decided against both because like you say, there's just not a lot of need for them. We put in a heater like the one you are describing and we love it. And wow, it gets toasty warm in there in just a few minutes. We've only had to turn it on a few times over the past two years - I mean like maybe 3 or 4 times. So I am really glad we decided on that route. And our bathroom is on the north side of the house. I expected to have to use it more often than we actually do.

Old 05-24-2019, 10:07 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
What a great house! I was thinking I didn't really care for that porch pillar and you beat me to it - the one you have the picture of is going to look great! I'm surprised that the prior owner didn't do something more interesting with it when they replaced the entrance.

RE: the bathroom, I can see the arguments about keeping it vintage, but I think it's also ok to update to make it more consistent with the rest of the house.

I hope you'll keep posting more photos as you go through this process!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating