Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 03:25 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,058,991 times

Advertisements

We’re refreshing our kitchen—floor, backsplash, counters. I’d like to paint our maple cabinets. Contractors have warned us off painting. They say it will chip, especially the high use cabinets.

So, if you have had your cabinets painted professionally, how are they holding up and how long ago were they painted? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 07:41 PM

997 posts, read 1,311,653 times
We're going to do the same thing, so interested in what others say. I was just browsing this site below for inspiration.

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/Kitchen-Cabinets

Old 05-30-2019, 08:54 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
Well, my kitchen cabinets were first painted about 80 years ago.

I suppose there are occasional chips.

If you have natural finished wood, that you want to paint, you need to clean all surfaces thoroughly, sand lightly, and use a primer. In other words, normal paint prep work. In painting the prep takes typically more than half the total time if it's done right and it is critical to the success of the final paint job.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:20 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
In one of my homes we painted the cabinets, in the seven years we had them they never chipped and we got a lot of compliments on them. They make paint specifically for cabinets, and while a little higher than regular paint, it was worth paying for it. At the time we did it Home Depot had kind with a limited number of colors but the Benjamin Moore kind could be tinted to pretty much any color in their formulary. We ended up using Home Depot’s kind because they had a color we liked and it was cheaper. We were told, and I think it’s true, that proper prepping makes a huge difference. We cleaned the cabinets twice with TSP, sanded them, vacuumed off the dust in addition to using a rag, used a good primer, then added two coats of the cabinet paint. There are videos out there worth watching on the topic.

Old 05-31-2019, 02:08 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
A friend's mother told me about marine paint. I used it in our kitchen and never had a chip. Easy to scrub and clean too.

Old 05-31-2019, 02:18 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I've painted kitchen cabinets myself more than once. I agree with everyone that it's really important to do it right and use good paint. I had good luck with the paint and primer in one from Home Depot (Behr brand). I suggest a satin or semi-gloss for easy wipe-down.

Old 05-31-2019, 04:35 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
You’ll need to use a shellac primer like BIN, and a urethane enamel ( I used Emerald urethane from SW). Regular latex paint will not hold up.

I’m not a fan of painted cabinets though. I have painted them if they’re in such bad shape that I have no choice, but I would never paint cabinets that are in good condition.

Old 05-31-2019, 04:51 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
I have only repainted cabinets that had been painted previously or that were solid wood builtins that had been previously “updated” with a stain/polycoat combo that looked awful. Both were repainted by professionals and looked great for the few years I owned the houses.

That said I would never paint light wood like maple or pickled oak. I’m old fashioned and love the look of natural woods. But only if the varnish/poly has stayed clear and not yellowed with time. Dark woods are usually stained though, and dreary, so I don’t feel they need preserving. Paint should only chip if it’s applied too thick and you have door slammers.

Old 05-31-2019, 11:08 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Paint should only chip if it’s applied too thick and you have door slammers.

Say what!???

Old 05-31-2019, 12:06 PM

37,592 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
We’re refreshing our kitchen—floor, backsplash, counters. I’d like to paint our maple cabinets. Contractors have warned us off painting. They say it will chip, especially the high use cabinets.

So, if you have had your cabinets painted professionally, how are they holding up and how long ago were they painted? Thanks.
I painted them myself, 2 years ago. They looked awesome then and they still do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating