Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 10:51 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times

Advertisements

Did you buy a new dishwasher? and would you buy the same one again?

I haven't had to buy a major appliance in quite awhile and am about to go out into the world of appliances in the $600 range. Suggestions from experience ? and is it best to get a private plumber to install, or rely on the store's installers? Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 05:37 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
In our house which we sold last year, I got the top rated but bottom priced Bosch dishwasher from Lowe's. I know Bosch is super highly rated, and it was ok but I was not bowled over by it. We did use their (Lowe's ) install and that was great. I don't know if that varies by state, but we were in NJ and they used master plumber to do it.
The Bosch was fine, I don't mean to say it wasn't but I just don't see what makes it such a star. In any case, it was just under $600 and at the time, there was some sort of rebate on the installation (which is pretty pricey).
In my new to us home, there is a 20plus year old GE dishwasher which still works fine- super noisy though and will be replaced sooner than later as we re-do the kitchen. I would most likely consider KitchenAid, Whirlpool, Maytag and maybe Bosch again.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:34 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
We bought LG about a year ago. Not happy with it due to a condensation leak from the door -- small but noticeable. LG says they are aware of the issue but cannot do anything about.
caveat emptor I guess.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:29 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
I bought a Bosch in my last place before the one I'm in now. I was pleased but that model did not have a heated dry cycle....didn't like that. It was so quiet hard to tell if it was running. The lack of heated dry cycle was the drawback.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:51 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
whatever you do don't buy Samsung they suck under their warranties . My sister in law bought one it was less than two months old and they told her she did something to it (BS !!!) . they were trying to get out of the warranty to pay for it . She had to obtain the service of an attorney and as soon as Samsung heard attorney they sent her a check for a replacement dishwasher . I was like whoa . Now I have had no problems with fridgadaire and I like that brand .

Old 06-13-2019, 10:46 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
We bought a 899.00 model Bosch on sale for 599.00 nearly 3 years ago from an independent dealer and it's been a great reliable no hassle dishwasher. Price included installation and taking old unit away.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:03 AM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
I have a GE and would NOT buy it again - I really dislike it - got it when I replaced other appliances in my kitchen and gave a neighbor friend the old one which still worked great (and it's still working and they use it much more than I ever did) - it was a Maytag.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:55 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
We bought a 899.00 model Bosch on sale for 599.00 nearly 3 years ago from an independent dealer and it's been a great reliable no hassle dishwasher. Price included installation and taking old unit away.

That sounds like you got a great deal ! Independent dealers usually charge a lot more; at least the one around here does; no matter the brand.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:56 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
I bought a Bosch in my last place before the one I'm in now. I was pleased but that model did not have a heated dry cycle....didn't like that. It was so quiet hard to tell if it was running. The lack of heated dry cycle was the drawback.
European dishwashers don’t have heated dry cycles for energy efficiency reasons.

I got a $1300 Bosch dishwasher (the 39db model) with the 3rd rack option for $1000 about a year ago and am pleased with it.

You definitely need to use rinse aid though. It makes a difference in drying.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:02 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I have a GE and would NOT buy it again - I really dislike it - got it when I replaced other appliances in my kitchen and gave a neighbor friend the old one which still worked great (and it's still working and they use it much more than I ever did) - it was a Maytag.
I have had GE Monogram dishwashers twice. The first one had the detergent reservoir that worked well except if you ever mixed enzyme with bleach detergents (not always clear) - it would gel up requiring me to disassemble the inside panel and clean it out.

The second ones (2 in a new kitchen build) had lackluster cleaning performance despite being top end.

Much happier with my Bosch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating