Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 09:29 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Valspar offers a free consultation service if you go to the bottom of the website. See link below. One thing that jumped out at me was the very description uses the word Golden Yellows. So that should have been a clue. But all is not lost. Have you tried to change the light bulbs in the rooms and then see if you can find it more to your liking. Different bulbs have different values. I am attaching a link that will explain it better than I can. Select the different lights for the kitchen shown and you will understand.

https://www.1000bulbs.com/land/color-temperature

https://www.askval.com

Do try the light bulbs. You will be amazed how the "temperature" of the light will change the appearance.

If this was my disaster paint color, I would put a greyed down umber glaze over it. But that usually costs a lot for painters to do. Did you call your painting contractor? They might be able to completely repaint for a lot less than the original $3500. They would have a nice clean base to work with.

I would rather have the wall color I was happy with than spend money on the flooring. Plus you don't want to end up with flooring that won't work with the wall color you switch to.

Don't feel bad about this. Everyone who has ever decorated has had a disaster or they haven't really done much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 08:34 AM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
It's one thing though when you did the work yourself. It's another thing when you've paid to have all the furniture moved, room painted and then furniture all put back.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:46 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
Understood. But if the proposed solution is to pay to buy all new furniture, rugs, window treatments etc (which would involve moving all the existing stuff out and moving all new stuff in, plus shopping)... is that really any cheaper? or easier? I bet the answer is no, to both questions. And on top of that, you're doing it all to coordinate with a paint color you don't want.

Last edited by Sunbather; 07-10-2019 at 08:59 AM..

Old 07-11-2019, 06:58 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
LOL I am sorry, OP but this reminds me of when I painted our living room a lovely rich honey tan, or so I thought - and my son in the second grade went to school and told his teacher that "this weekend we painted the living room orange."

I agree to try to replace the lighting with cool light bulbs. I also agree to see if the painters will come out and repaint for less than the original cost.

And finally, I also agree that you should repaint the room that bugs you the most. Different rooms take on different tones depending on lighting and the direction the light comes in. Sometimes we just can't live with a color.

Old 07-11-2019, 08:17 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
I will confess to a painting disaster that was not my fault. I love color. I wanted my former kitchen in a tangerine shade. I went to BM and purchased a primer with tint since it was going over a granny apple green (told you I love color). I bring it all home including the tangerine and the painters paint. The green bled through so I had to go back and get a deeper primer. I had blocked out a certain amount of time to be home for a paint job but I had to leave for an appointment on day 2. I loved the color on coat #1, it was exactly what I wanted, but he was going to need more paint. When I came home, I literally cried an ugly cry. My entire kitchen was bright orange-red. Think like Home Depot but much deeper in the reddish tone. I asked the painter what happened as this was not the color I picked out. He showed me the can and said this is what you gave me. I had indeed. I went back to BM and explained what had happened and he asked I had the can from the first coat. It was in the garage to toss away, but I did. So, back home I went and back to the store I go with can 1 in hand. I had left can 2 at the store. I returned and he said that it was their fault they used a deeper base in the second batch by mistake. Apparently, when I returned to get more paint they made the mistake. The good news was that BM sent a crew to my house and repainted my entire kitchen for nothing, but I did tip the guys. I literally freaked out when I saw it.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:19 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I just repainted a room myself. I picked out what I thought was a pale muted yellow.
Once painted though it turned out to be too intense...I'd need to put a box of sunglasses out for anyone !

That was the first coat. I still had to do a second coat and had a full can of paint. Went to HD and got a gallon of white and a 5 gallon bucket. I mixed the two and painted. It came out perfect..the exact pale yellow that I wanted.

Sometimes mistakes can be fixed.
Good thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating