Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 12:17 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,481,027 times

Advertisements

I’d go with replacing those flush mount fixtures with the recessed likes like you said. They can make a world of difference. I wouldn’t use daylight bulbs. I used to use them and eventually they appeared harsh to me. I’d instead buy “bright white” bulbs (2900k), brighter and less yellow than soft white but not as harsh as daylight. I also prefer ge reveal bulbs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 04:45 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,197,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I don’t understand how some people like those blue lights in their house. To me they make things look cold and sterile, it’s like being at the doctors office.
They are LED lights and their not blue but a bright day light and it really makes a difference.We used them in a dark bathroom and its amazing how much lighter it is in there.

Old 07-20-2019, 05:32 AM

71 posts, read 219,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Before painting the cabinets, what about just changing the pulls to something new and bright? White, or a bright color?

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Hardware...4705,4703,8562

One tip... don't choose something that will catch clothing when you walk by.... the round design you have is best, except for color.

On edit.... now that I read your post more carefully... I see you already are going to try this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollieMan View Post
Were they talking about the cabinet hardware or the replacement door hardware?

I'm still staunchly on the "paint the cabinets" side... A high quality enamel spray with good prep work should take a day and will be durable as you can get.
Both will be replaced, although I'm leaning towards brushed nickel for both. I wouldn't think white hardware would work on the existing cabinets

Old 07-21-2019, 02:22 PM

403 posts, read 273,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tel0004 View Post
Both will be replaced, although I'm leaning towards brushed nickel for both. I wouldn't think white hardware would work on the existing cabinets
Definitely not white on the dark wood if you’re going for nickel on white for the replacement doors.

The project you’re thinking of really isn’t that hard. Prep work is tedious and important, but it’s more time consuming than anything, there’s not a lot of skill involved in removing the doors, sanding/priming/painting.

Definitely do a spray though. Rollers never look right for what you’re trying to do.

Old 07-21-2019, 04:05 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I remain confused. I thought op was already replacing the wood with white doors?

Old 07-21-2019, 06:00 PM

32,939 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I remain confused. I thought op was already replacing the wood with white doors?
She's replacing the doors to the rooms, closets. The cabinets would still be stained - unless she has them painted.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:20 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,531,949 times
It looks like the one section of cabinets was a later addition to a narrow hallway.

I would paint the ceiling haint blue as though it were a porch ceiling in need of light. & also change out the light fixture.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:58 PM

32,939 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
It looks like the one section of cabinets was a later addition to a narrow hallway.

I would paint the ceiling haint blue as though it were a porch ceiling in need of light. & also change out the light fixture.
No one really likes that breast light fixture. My son sent me photos of his new place, and I made a comment about the boob fixture.

Thanks mom.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 323 times
I would definitely paint the cabinets a nice bright white to match your baseboards. There is so much DIY on youtube to show you how to do that. If you had the budget I would also tackle the doors and paint them either the same white as your baseboards and cabinets or add some contrast, depending on your color scheme and paint the doors a dark grey. You mentioned doing a can lighting. I would actually use an accent pendant lighting rather which will give the space some personality such as something like this https://industrialfurnitureworld.com...silver-finish/. Hope that helps! Would love to see photos of the finished space! Cheers!

Old 07-22-2019, 04:37 PM

71 posts, read 219,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmainedecor5 View Post
I would definitely paint the cabinets a nice bright white to match your baseboards. There is so much DIY on youtube to show you how to do that. If you had the budget I would also tackle the doors and paint them either the same white as your baseboards and cabinets or add some contrast, depending on your color scheme and paint the doors a dark grey. You mentioned doing a can lighting. I would actually use an accent pendant lighting rather which will give the space some personality such as something like this https://industrialfurnitureworld.com...silver-finish/. Hope that helps! Would love to see photos of the finished space! Cheers!
I think i'm leaning towards painting the cabinets. Also, the doors are being replaced, not painted (although they will be painted white).

I do like that fixture, but I have 8 foot ceilings, so I need something flush mount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating