Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2019, 01:38 PM

4,341 posts, read 2,226,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Incorrect, cheap looks cheap. The pedestal sink my husband installed is beautiful and fits the bathroom well. It is not cheap. Cheap builder grade cabinets look cheap but everyone has them. My niece has neat retro 40's sinks (pink of course) that attach to the wall no pedestal. They look really nice and are in great condition. Would not think of ever replacing them with any cabinet sink.
Well, in my universe my opinion is always right. So no; I'm always correct.

But, thanks for playing; pedestal sinks remind me of cheap hotels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2019, 01:53 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,424,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post

I don't go to cheap hotels As I said cheap is cheap. Spend more money and you are in my universe.

Old 09-26-2019, 01:57 PM

3,139 posts, read 1,594,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
We're moving into a new-to-us home so I've been looking at model homes getting ideas about wall colors, curtains and furniture, just so I can be more up to date. Also using some of these ideas to make our home-to-be-sold look fresh too. Replacing bathroom vanity and mirrors and painting bathroom light gray with white trim. looks so nice (vanity installed next week).

I am not the best interior decorator, mainly due to being not high on my list of things to spend money on, but visiting family and seeing how nicely one home has been decorated I've gotten interested, at least for the next 3 months.

Curtains: my pet peeve is the trend of seeing curtains on a nice rod, some with grommets and others with sliding rings, that are so skimpy they would not cover the windows if they were closed. I'm guessing they never get closed because they are in a model home. I like to close my curtains at dark and want them to cover the whole window expanse.

Nice relatives house (referred above) had NO curtains on living room windows so they are black holes at night. Not my style at all.

Do you have a current interior decorating pet peeve?

For example, I've heard that some people HATE vertical blinds, they (not me) think they're tacky. My current home has them on three sliding glass doors (Florida). I removed them from living room and replaced it with nickel colored rod and white curtains with sliding rings. Probably keeping the other 2 verticals but adding a nicer valance.
I am not a fan of curtains. Have none on the ground floor and have lots of windows and sliders. Bedrooms have room darkening shades for nightime. Our home was new construction so we planted some trees, evergreens and small bushes for privacy on first floor. The view from any window is a tree or evergreen. I never have to run around opening curtains, don't worry about dust, etc. Love natural sunlight streaming in at all times. Our walls are harmonious light colors from nature. I used a pillow I loved for inspiration. We are generally reading at night so have a lot of lamps lit and fireplace on (in winter) so don't even notice dark windows at night.

Old 09-26-2019, 04:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post

I’ve seen some extremely beautiful pedestal sinks. They are not for me, but gorgeous porcelain pedestal sinks exist. You can visit a high end plumbing supply shop and see for yourself.

Old 09-26-2019, 05:04 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
I guess one of my pet peeves is a room that got stuck in a previous decade, and has never been refreshed. If you have been living in the room for thirty years, you should have been adding and subtracting things. My former great room was in that category, although I tried to make some small changes when I could.

I remember feeling so helpless because changing things required so much effort and money. I felt so relieved when we finally were able to replace our tired dining room set.

But, whenever possible, I think rooms should be refreshed periodically. And if you add something, you might need to subtract something.

Old 09-26-2019, 07:03 PM

106 posts, read 300,806 times
Gray everything. I'm seeing homes with gray paint, gray floors AND gray cabinetry. I've heard gray is the new beige, but this is just ridiculous.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:42 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I guess one of my pet peeves is a room that got stuck in a previous decade, and has never been refreshed. If you have been living in the room for thirty years, you should have been adding and subtracting things. My former great room was in that category, although I tried to make some small changes when I could.

I remember feeling so helpless because changing things required so much effort and money. I felt so relieved when we finally were able to replace our tired dining room set.

But, whenever possible, I think rooms should be refreshed periodically. And if you add something, you might need to subtract something.
Why do you think I "SHOULD" be "refreshing" my interior periodically? Assuming occasional replacement of things that truly wear out or break, as long as it continues to meet my needs, why "SHOULD" I change it? Why "SHOULD" I have been adding and subtracting things? Am I going to be graded on whether my interiors keep up with trends? Is there a quiz? What's the prize?

My current bedroom furniture is the furniture my grandmother left me, which she bought in about 1959. I have added to it some artwork we've had since (approx.) 1990. Done! The dining room furniture we bought around 1995; it dates back to the 30s or 40s. Most of the living room furniture we bought new in about 1990, but we have added a large painting recently - but the general look of our living room has been the same since 1990 though we've lived in five houses since then.

Most of the tchotchkes on shelves for decoration in our house go back to our parents, grandparents, or great-grandparents, or to trips we've taken that were meaningful to us. Why would we want to change these things? I am not tired of looking at the vase my parents bought on our first big family vacation in 1970, and I'm not expecting to ever get tired of looking at it.

I will admit that the books in the bookcases change as new ones come in and periodically we donate or sell old ones.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:44 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdrogers View Post
Gray everything. I'm seeing homes with gray paint, gray floors AND gray cabinetry. I've heard gray is the new beige, but this is just ridiculous.
I don’t mind gray paint, since there are so many different shades and tones. What I don’t like are the gray and white striped wood floors everywhere. Those are going to get dated fast. Give me a nice classic normal medium brown floor, please.

Old 09-27-2019, 06:45 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdrogers View Post
If I wanted to look at all grey surfaces all day long I'd have enlisted in the Navy and requested constant sea duty.

As a lifelong civilian, since I am not an inmate of an institution, I prefer to live somewhere that does not look like one.

Old 09-27-2019, 08:15 AM

2,539 posts, read 1,906,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy Grey View Post
I gave up on over the shower caddies and placing shampoo bottles and the like on the corners of the tub. The shampoo and conditioner bottles always fell over in the caddy, and the corners of the tub get all gunked up with soap and shampoo. When I moved last year I solved the problem by purchasing a plant stand with a pot and placing it next to the tub. All my shampoos and conditioners are stored there. The only products that live on the corners of the tub are the shower soap pump bottle and my face wash.
The plant stand is a smart solution!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating