Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2019, 06:03 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,388,492 times

Advertisements

my pet peeve is a home filled with too much stuff.

Decorating style is personal and if a friend has a different decorating style than the one I prefer it doesn't bother me in the least (except real dead animals used as décor).

However, when I visit someone's home and can't easily walk through the living room because it is crammed full of furniture, sit on a piece of furniture because it is completely covered in throw pillows, or set my coffee cup down on a coffee table because it is covered with tchotchkes, I get pretty anxious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 06:22 PM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,020 times
I hate, hate, HATE overhead lighting! Ok occasionally in the kitchen and bathroom, but only in certain situations. People who don't have lamps and task lighting drive me crazy. Overhead lighting makes everything look drab, depressing and off-putting. Should be against the law!!!

Old 08-02-2019, 10:14 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I hate, hate, HATE overhead lighting! Ok occasionally in the kitchen and bathroom, but only in certain situations. People who don't have lamps and task lighting drive me crazy. Overhead lighting makes everything look drab, depressing and off-putting. Should be against the law!!!
I agree.

My daughter and I have a dream that one day we open up a shop that's only open on Tue, Wed and Thursday. We will sell unique lamps, plants in cool containers (antiques, vintage, unusual, etc), homemade soaps, lotions and candles, and organic teas. Maybe the occasional stool or table, to of course HOLD a lamp or a plant.

Anyway, it would smell fabulous in there. AND NO OVERHEAD LIGHTING. I absolutely detest it.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:25 PM

403 posts, read 272,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I agree.

My daughter and I have a dream that one day we open up a shop that's only open on Tue, Wed and Thursday. We will sell unique lamps, plants in cool containers (antiques, vintage, unusual, etc), homemade soaps, lotions and candles, and organic teas. Maybe the occasional stool or table, to of course HOLD a lamp or a plant.

Anyway, it would smell fabulous in there. AND NO OVERHEAD LIGHTING. I absolutely detest it.
That's funny. I don't own a single lamp - cannot stand "pools of light". I pay attention to lighting temperatures and paint colors, but everything is overhead.

Old 08-03-2019, 06:08 AM

805 posts, read 524,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollieMan View Post
That's funny. I don't own a single lamp - cannot stand "pools of light". I pay attention to lighting temperatures and paint colors, but everything is overhead.
I’ve seen that done well, with thoughtful placement and selection of fixtures.

But more often it’s just the one fixture in the middle of the ceiling, and likely the one the builder put there. Unpleasant.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:10 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
We have loads of can lights in the ceilings of our house and I love them! DH gradually put long life LEDs in all the fixtures, so we’ll never have to replace a bulb as long as we live there.

We have long dreary winters here. They aren’t so much frigid, as they are damp, rainy and dreary. I like being able to turn on so much light with the flick of one switch,

Old 08-05-2019, 11:14 PM

8,492 posts, read 4,738,627 times
Too much heavy, dreary detail. Think Rococo. Or crown moldings one chair rails.

Also, any reluctance to experiment with colour. You might well go wrong with your bold colour choice, but I’ll appreciate it immensely.

Old 08-06-2019, 02:57 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,981,246 times
White walls in a huge home. Huge to me is over 4000 sq ft.

Brass fixtures .
Cherrywood furniture.
Walls of mirrors.
Candles.
A fully carpeted home.

Old 08-06-2019, 09:57 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,532,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Well, I can only say that I feel sorry for people who design the layout of the furnishings of their home to please others and not themselves! Our home is for us to live in and enjoy, and not to please any professional decorators or critics.

Old 08-06-2019, 05:53 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
In the living room of the house we will probably be buying - No, we will NOT put the TV above the fireplace. But there is a niche there FOR A TV. No thank you. THERE ARE NO OUTLETS in the floor. What the heck. Oh well, thank goodness for battery operated lamps.
I don't think I've ever seen outlets in the floor of a home, is that popular where you live?

How does that even work, are there outlets in the floor throughout the entire area? Do they have a cover to help them blend into the flooring, so they're not exposed? Or are they only in certain areas and you pretty much are forced to arrange your furniture a certain way based on where the floor outlets are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating