Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2019, 12:54 PM

16 posts, read 9,055 times

Advertisements

So my wife and I are considering luxury vinyl in our bedroom as part of a home update. We are replacing carpet that currently extends to the vanity area and need something at least somewhat water resistant. Due to the design of the room, one floor type across both bed and vanity areas makes the most sense as we do not have the funds for a more significant remodel.

Believe it or not, one of our biggest concerns is the floating aspect of the floor. I don't think I could live with any kind of hollow, not firm, feel of the floor. We are used to the glued-down hardwood and tile in the rest of the living areas.

Is my concern warranted? My other thought is to install engineered hardwood that perhaps, might be okay for the vanity area. FYI, the shower and toilet are in an enclosed room adjacent to the vanity so it could have it's own floor.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 01:03 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,317,520 times
I have floating LVP in the kitchen and in one of the upstairs bedrooms. Never had a problem with it feeling like it was not firm. With so many things resting on it, it doesn't move at all.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Our LVP was glued down. We like it a lot. Why would your LVP need to be floated?

For many years we had Pergo in a kitchen and laundry. It had a distinctive sound when walked on, but it felt fine under our feet.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:14 PM

7,066 posts, read 4,510,340 times
Ours is floating and you can’t tell.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:55 AM

3,339 posts, read 5,985,828 times
If the subfloor is flat you won't notice the floating aspect. If the surface below is wavy (as a basement concrete slab can be) you might notice it more. It isn't a major thing I notice with our floor and I think if the concrete had been totally flat it wouldn't be noticeable at all.

Old 08-17-2019, 11:06 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
We have recently had a bizarre experience with a client's floor. They put in brand new floors, supposed to be a floating floor, product they bought at Lowes, and it buckles and warps in the sun. Every place the sun hits it and gets warm, it is buckling.

Lowes said to put up drapes or put a rug over it. Not sure how that is going to end, but that's not an answer!

Old 08-17-2019, 08:06 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
I’m actually right in the middle of a project very similar to this. Thread is out on the House forum re: basement engineered wood floors. I went back and forth with the LVP idea, as it would make perfect sense for a basement like mine. But I just couldn’t do it, and the types that I might’ve liked were too expensive. I went engineered hardwood with a 2-1 vapor barrier that is ⅛ of antibacterial cork and 6mm plastic. HDepot sells it. It’s turning out extremely well. I did have to level a few areas to the best of my ability (I’d give it a solid B+). But finding the little areas that still have a slight dip in the floor is easily “shimmed” with an extra piece of underlayment tucked in. I’m honestly not noticing any hollow or bouncy effect this far, but the wood is ½ thick wide plank and pretty stiff/sturdy. I might notice more if LVP as it’s a little more flexible.

Not sure if that helps or not... but can offer the OP a suggestion that might help the most, the wallet. Check out builddirect website. They have a ton of options and some excellent deals on basically all hard flooring ideas. I bought mine from there and very much impressed with it, regardless of the cheap $2.49 psf price. Stores around my area sell basically the exact same thing for anywhere from $5.50ish to $8.50ish - same wear layer, near same pattern, same protective coating.

Old 08-18-2019, 04:50 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,194,222 times
We put LVP in my den and a rental home. It looks like it did when we first put it in, it has held up well. And there is no sound when you walk on it and its seems more comfortable to walk on.

Old 08-18-2019, 12:04 PM

23,255 posts, read 18,764,714 times
I installed floating vinyl plank flooring in a previous house. After 10 years of use no issues with it anywhere except one place where the subfloor wasn't perfectly even. My current house had a major facelift a couple of years before I bought it. They installed floating vinyl flooring in the kitchen and 3 baths. It's solid, doesn't move, and is completely firm everywhere except one part of one connected closet. Again, probably the subfloor. What's underneath it matters.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-18-2019 at 01:29 PM..

Old 06-03-2020, 10:58 AM

685 posts, read 1,104,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
We have recently had a bizarre experience with a client's floor. They put in brand new floors, supposed to be a floating floor, product they bought at Lowes, and it buckles and warps in the sun. Every place the sun hits it and gets warm, it is buckling.

Lowes said to put up drapes or put a rug over it. Not sure how that is going to end, but that's not an answer!
Can I ask what floor brand?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating