Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2024, 04:03 PM

187 posts, read 449,210 times

Advertisements

We'll be using Sherwin-Williams Pure White for the walls / trims / doors of our 3br apartment. But the 2 smaller bedrooms have limited natural light (only 1 window in each, both partially obstructed by the window air conditioners). Does it make sense to use a higher LRV paint for these 2 bedrooms - such as BM Chantilly Lace, SW White Snow, SW Cheviot, SW High Reflective White, etc.? Or SW Pure White is good enough?

I read some comments that if the rooms have low light, this type of paint is not the best because its LRV is 84 and it might look dingy/grey/dark.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2024, 04:21 PM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
You WILL have lighting in those rooms, right?
You can go with just about any color, not just off-whites.

Old 03-29-2024, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
You WILL have lighting in those rooms, right?
You can go with just about any color, not just off-whites.
Yes, there will be lighting there for sure.

I do want the off white/white type color.

Old 03-29-2024, 08:41 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoNYC View Post
We'll be using Sherwin-Williams Pure White for the walls / trims / doors of our 3br apartment. But the 2 smaller bedrooms have limited natural light (only 1 window in each, both partially obstructed by the window air conditioners). Does it make sense to use a higher LRV paint for these 2 bedrooms - such as BM Chantilly Lace, SW White Snow, SW Cheviot, SW High Reflective White, etc.? Or SW Pure White is good enough?

I read some comments that if the rooms have low light, this type of paint is not the best because its LRV is 84 and it might look dingy/grey/dark.
Can you paint walls in your apartment?
Apartments here usually are painted in very light neutral colors...

Old 03-29-2024, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Can you paint walls in your apartment?
Apartments here usually are painted in very light neutral colors...
Yes, these are neutral colors. Obviously, I can paint the walls in my own apartment.

Old 03-30-2024, 05:12 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoNYC View Post
Yes, these are neutral colors. Obviously, I can paint the walls in my own apartment.
Not so obvious.
A lot of apartment complexes forbid painting or require permission, using a pre approved list of colors. Only once has anyone I known been able to freely (some colors, like black, were forbidden) paint an apartment, and then only with the stipulation that they paint it back to the original color upon moving out. ]

I think he means he owns the apartment like a co op or condo .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 03-30-2024 at 09:25 AM..

Old 03-30-2024, 05:25 AM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Not so obvious.
Well, it kinda is when the title asks:
Sherwin-Williams Pure White for the bedroom walls with low natural light

Old 03-30-2024, 06:35 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Well, it kinda is when the title asks:
Sherwin-Williams Pure White for the bedroom walls with low natural light
??? you don't think people make assumptions about permission to do whatever in apts? Like the roomie who was positive that painting the walls black was an OK thing?

Old 03-30-2024, 07:09 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
'Apartment' in NYC may well be owned.

Old 04-01-2024, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Not so obvious.
A lot of apartment complexes forbid painting or require permission, using a pre approved list of colors. Only once has anyone I known been able to freely (some colors, like black, were forbidden) paint an apartment, and then only with the stipulation that they paint it back to the original color upon moving out. ]

I think he means he owns the apartment like a co op or condo .
Yes, it's a coop. And yes, I submitted all the necessary paperwork to the management company and received the permission to paint the walls and the ceilings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating