Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 11:50 AM

62 posts, read 153,478 times

Advertisements

We're moving into a new house and doing new curtains throughout.

Originally, I planned to put a long drape on the one long kitchen window, and pull it to the right with a sash. Then, place a matching valance over the small over-the-sink window.

I just realized there are windows above the door next to the window (see picture).

Should I:
a) put a long rod over the width of the door/window pair, and just pull the drape the right as planned (aka, leaving the rest of the rod empty?)
b) mount a short rod to the FRAME of the window, and put the drape there (with nothing over the door window area)
c) put a long rod over the width of the door/window pair, and put a valance over the small windows, with the panel drape pulled to the right on the big window?
d) scrap a curtain altogether, and just do the sink valance, and put the curtains in the living room (adjoining the kitchen, so colors will be complementary)?
e) any other suggestions????

Thanks for ANY help!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Help!  Curtain placement advice needed!-window2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 12:07 PM

935 posts, read 3,445,685 times
Thanks for posting the picture. What are your needs? Is there a privacy issue where you need to cover the window so you cannot see in from outside? Or simply trying to add something to tie the decor in the living room to the kitchen?

Its a very nice window, but a bit of an odd layout.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:55 PM

Thanks for your reply... basically, I just wanted decor... I wanted a splash of color -- privacy isn't the issue. The window looks out onto a screened porch, which is in a fenced backyard. I just wanted something to make the kitchen feel homey. Thoughts?

Old 08-05-2011, 01:21 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
I would treat the "transom" and the top portion of the window as one, with a long rod and valance. Then since privacy isn't an issue add sheers on the window alone or the window and door. If yo elect to leave the door curtain free you might find a small decorative sun catcher to put on the door if you feel you need color. There is also something I recently saw and when I heard about it, I thought "yuck that has to be tacky". I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Etcheddesigned.com is where she ordered them from.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:17 PM

Thanks - that's what I was leaning toward, too. What's your feeling on putting the same curtains/valances in the kitchen as the living room, versus a complementary color in the living room? (the living room and kitchen are in an open area and visible from one another)

Old 08-05-2011, 04:15 PM

For me, I usually prefer to change the curtain, and the color but depending upon what the room looks like, i.e proximity to kitchen. I might simply follow through the entire room. I would need to see all the window and doors relative to each other and the wall color.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:38 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
nutstouiam, I tried to go to etcheddesigned.com but it's not a good site. Did you mean to write etcheddesigns.com ? If so, I agree -- they have some very nice decals there.

Last edited by TFW46; 08-05-2011 at 05:07 PM..

Old 08-05-2011, 04:41 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
And, shay, you have a lovely doorway and it looks like a beautiful covered porch. I guess I'm surprised that they didnt put french doors there -- or at least double doors.

Of course, if you have a small dog, underneath that window would be the perfect place for a doggie door.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
nutstouiam, I tried to go to etcheddesigns.com but it's not a good site. Did you mean to write etcheddesigns.com ? If so, I agree -- they have some very nice decals there.

Yes, fingers typed too fast. You can also search on ebay. I was so impressed that I purchased the Christmas tree and can't wait until I can put it in my window this season.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:55 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
That is kind of an awkward window/door situation. I would have just skipped the window altogether but what is done is done.

I would be tempted to just put a shade of some kind on the window and door-"inside" mount so it just covers the glass on both. You could get some kind of a fun printed solar shade or cellular shades to add some punch to that area. I think a curtain on a rod would clutter up that corner even more and I think you would eventually get frustrated with the "mess" of dealing with that. I would not put anything on the transom. Eventually I would take out the window personally.

It will also help to put some art on the wall to the left of the door to get some color over there--maybe a large vase or something in the corner to the right of the door/window??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating