Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2019, 05:43 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times

Advertisements

Well, two comments.

1) Of course one can put a plastic tub in their single kitchen sink for washing dishes, though that doesn't actually help anything. It makes better sense (and I've done it) to set the tub on the countertop next to the sink and fill it with your rinse water while filling the sink with your soapy water. But the double sink is easier because you fill one side with soapy water and the other side with rinse water. (Use the side with the disposal for the soapy water.)

2) I think the people who complain that they can't fit pans into the double sink don't have a double sink problem, they've got a cheap undersized double sink problem. I can't remember having an issue with any of my normal pots or pans fitting in my double sink (which has two bowls of equal size). I doubt that my giant iron frying pan would fit, but I don't soak that one anyway. Now if I were routinely using giant stock pots to cook soup for 20 or entire turkeys, stuff like that wouldn't fit, but it probably wouldn't fit in any normal residential kitchen sink. At any rate, if your pot or pan is too big, use the pan itself as the sink, fill it with soapy water to sosak, and put it on the counter over night.

But the double sink in my house I personally chose for function (not aesthetics) when a new countertop was being installed. If you find yourself stuck with a cheap undersized doubl sink of insufficient depth, a single might well be better than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2019, 05:52 AM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingdomgirl View Post
So why is this single sink a trend? Seems ridiculous and totally dysfunctional.
Why?
Are you saying that one can't hand-wash dishes in a single sink?
I have both. In my US house I have double sink, overseas my condos have single sink.
I don't have dishwasher in either locations, by choice, but I am perfectly capable to do all my dishes in a single sink. And I cook at home from scratch 90% of the times.

Tell me please about serious disadvantages of a good size, deep single sink?
That would be something new to learn today...
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Hand washing dishes is much easier if you have two sinks. One for soapy water and one for rinse water.
Well, that's not the way I wash my dishes, even in my double sink. So, I don't see any hardships of having a single sink.
I find rinsing dishes in standing water insanitary.

Last edited by elnina; 10-04-2019 at 06:09 AM..

Old 10-04-2019, 06:07 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,074,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL well for starters, I'd rather stick a hot poker in my eye than go to Wal Mart.
Amazon.

Just sayin'

Old 10-04-2019, 06:16 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Amazon.

Just sayin'
Yeah but on top of that, I don't want a plastic tub in my sink. I just want a double sink - which I have and which fits every single one of my pots and pans. But I'm not shocked or dismayed or whatever when other people do things like wash dishes differently.

Old 10-04-2019, 06:18 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I find rinsing dishes in standing water insanitary.
Don't eat in any restaurant then.

Personally I'd rather not waste hot water pouring it down the drain to rinse dishes. If rinsing dishes in a sink full of water passes health code that's good enough for me.

Old 10-04-2019, 06:35 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Don't eat in any restaurant then.

Personally I'd rather not waste hot water pouring it down the drain to rinse dishes. If rinsing dishes in a sink full of water passes health code that's good enough for me.
I have a well-functioning dishwasher and do few dishes by hand. When I have a few, I soap and scrub them, sit them on the stainless steel grid in the bottom of the sink, then just run clean rinse water over the lot with the sprayer, picking them up to do both sides. How do you get clean glass that isn't cloudy by dipping items in soapy used "rinse" water? I don't see how that works well. I had a double sink in my former house, but he prior owners of my new house had installed a large, single granite composite sink and I just love it.

Old 10-04-2019, 06:41 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
If I had my druthers I prefer the double sided sink with a 'large pan' side. But I grew up with a single sink.
Fifty years ago this is pretty much how we washed dishes at home. The clean dishes were stacked in the sink for rinsing. Rinse a stack, dry and put away, rinse a stack, dry and put away, rinse and repeat, literally. Not a lot of fun after a big dinner when the pan full of soapy water would turn cold and you'd have to dump and fill it again a few times.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._Abwaschen.jpg

Old 10-04-2019, 09:43 AM

71 posts, read 44,804 times
I actually should clarify after re-reading my original post. I had actually been looking at kitchen remodels with truly single sinks. I didn't clarify that they were not farmhouse size. They're a single sink - a basic sink and "maybe" sink and a half size. What I couldn't fathom was how to make those work, knowing I use both sides of my sink during cooking. I wish I remembered where I saw them. I'd post a pic. I also probably should have posted this in the trends peeve thread, which is what made me think to post it to begin with.

I used to have an old farmhouse sink which I like, but I loved my 3-bowl sink the most!

I just see so many new trends that don't do much for real-life functionality. And the price tags. Good heavens! There was a thread somewhere else on the the cost vs functionality vs longevity of appliances, even faucets! LOL. So the single sink made me wonder how really functional it is. I feel in some areas we superceed function for aesthetics and gadgets.

As far as my dishwasher, it's simply a lousy model. According to the directions, it's working as it should, other than the control panel. Yes, I've already made calls. But I've been pondering minimalizing this particular expense due to the gadgetry they (appliances) come with. Afterall my hands are still working. LOL. I think I'll save my money and have non-etched glasses. I have to wash most of the knives and pans anyway. I also have a small family. My dd and I enjoy doing the dishes and chatting. Sort of old-fashioned fun.

Old 10-04-2019, 09:57 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL well for starters, I'd rather stick a hot poker in my eye than go to Wal Mart.
You don’t have to.
Walmart.com
I shop with them as they ship kitty litter to my front door for free.

Old 10-04-2019, 10:20 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,129,439 times
Don’t understand how a single sink is dysfunctional, my large farmhouse sink is not only prettier than the double stainless sink I had before, it’s more roomy. I can easily set a large load of pots and pans on the stainless grid, scrub, use the sprayer, then put away. For draining a colander of pasta or rinsing salad, simply move anything in the sink over, there is plenty of room. A smaller double sink doesn’t have this versatility. Most pots would end up sitting on the counter, until it was their turn in the sink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating