Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 11:04 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
...also, get cabinet drawer that slide out instead of having to dig to the back of those that doesn't slide.

This begs the question- how do you dig into a drawer that doesn't slide? Or better yet, Is It a drawer if it doesn't slide?

Ya know... just sayin'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2019, 11:35 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
We are about to embark on a kitchen remodel. Any things we should know?
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Never, ever think about re-sale. Make it for you and your style of...
Be sure about project costs value vs your continued tenancy; and vs the neighborhood 'standard'.

When we're 30ish and look forward almost any expense can be 'justified'. When 60ish... less so.
Well, unless you're so flush that costs truly don't enter the picture.

Old 10-20-2019, 02:26 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
When we're 30ish and look forward almost any expense can be 'justified'. When 60ish... less so.
I disagree.
We remodeled our kitchen at ages 69/60.
We plan to be here for decades.
I think 30-somethings are more likely to move than 60-somethings.

Old 10-20-2019, 03:15 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I disagree.
And you missed my point.

I don't disagree with YOU choosing to do what YOU wanted...
just that the philosophy is not in any sense universal.

Old 10-20-2019, 03:35 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Think about custom cabinets. They can provide for much better use of space than pre-made. I have large drawers for pots and pans, a narrow pullout for cutting boards and cookie sheets, a cabinet of pullout drawers for cans and jars with a slide-in space for cooling racks right next to the stove, a large pullout with 2 storage levels that serves as a liquor cabinet, and 2 "junk drawers." Just try finding all that stuff in a pre-made line. Do NOT forget about a pullout or some dedicated space for the kitchen trash can and recycling. Make sure the cabinet over the fridge allows at least 72" below which will expand your selection of refrigerators. Run the upper cabinets up to your ceiling which will give you more storage and eliminate a dust-collecting space.

Big under-mounted sink with a good sturdy faucet with pullout spray. Do not skimp on the faucet quality. This will likely be the most-used thing in your kitchen. Rev-a-shelf or similar organizational pullout under the sink to eliminate a dark pit of hell down there.

Cushy cupboard liners in those big drawers.

Adequate ventilation.

Many, many outlets. Do you want/need a recharging station?

Adequate lighting for all work spaces, including the sink. May include combination of pendants, flush mounts, semi-flush, under-cabinet.

Agree with recommendation above to downplay re-sale considerations, but do think about aging in place if you don't plan to reno again for a long time or this is a forever home. Put things within reach as per my cabinet recs above. Choose a flooring that's friendly to backs, hips, and knees, and a light-colored sink and countertops that are easy on aging eyes. Good lighting. Etc.

Take as long as it takes to plan every detail before you start talking with contractors. It will save time and money compared to change orders once the project gets started.

Old 10-20-2019, 05:51 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile Thanks for the replies

Most likely, we will go with the custom cabinets.

Like Dave, we plan to be in the home for a long time and even if we buy into a 55 plus eventually, this home will be the home base. We will keep it.

My husband loves the home and wishes to stay. Homes in Florida seem to need renovation about every 20 years.

Home was built in 1982 and is in a development but not as cookie cutter as today's homes. The development had about 10 builders and you chose which one, then they would do modifications. We bought into the community in 1989 - different home - and then bought this one in 1994. (We were then in our 30's).

Our children basically grew up here in this home.

Budget - anywhere from $15K to $40K but we also have to do the bathrooms (not as important as the kitchen though).

The home is 2800 SF, 4 bedrooms, pool on a lake. Our neighbors have renovated.

When our children have their children, we want them to be able to come here and stay with us.

You've given us some things to think about.

Even if we were to sell (very doubtful), we would need to remodel to get a decent price. It will be money well spent though.

Last edited by Bette; 10-20-2019 at 06:06 PM..

Old 10-20-2019, 06:52 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,416,035 times
If you ever buy pre made cabinets from Lowes or other big box store. BE SURE TO READ THE CUSTOMER COMPLAINTS ABOUT THE PRODUCT FIRST. The ones we got from lowes are little more than cardboard and several fell apart just trying to instal them.The company is a scam.

Old 10-20-2019, 10:05 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Thankfully never had to do a full remodel of any room. The previous owners took care of the 80s kitchen mostly, but there were some holdovers like the counters and floor.

For flooring it’s important to me st least that it’s functional. For Florida I’d definitely forego the hardwood flooring in a kitchen. I installed that and had to deal with a flooded sink and had to replace planks. And wait for them to match the rest of the floor :/

Recessed lights are nice, install more and update them.

Get a counter that’s foremost durable.

If you don’t have a wall oven/cooktop I’d personally get one. As a tall woman it’s been really handy to have to not bend down.

Undercabinet lighting.

42 inch cabinets. Anything higher than that to me is a waste.

Old 10-21-2019, 03:27 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
- Measure once, measure twice!

- exterminate. Best time is when pulling out old floors and cabinets.

- Fire prevention extinquisher/ dry mix ( graded for Kitchen fires) /first aide station - Best thing to have handy in your new kitchen.

- Think your floor is level- roll an egg across it . Then have the flooring expert fix the divets or inconsistent areas. So glad we had that done BEFORE hiring the installer.

Old 10-21-2019, 08:25 AM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile Presently....

We have the large white tile in the living room, dining room and kitchen.

It looks fine; hoping to keep it.

It seems level but we'll try the egg.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating