Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 09:10 AM

32,944 posts, read 3,925,010 times

Advertisements

I prefer drawers for my spices. Easy to see and get to - they're in the top drawers. Plus, I have them in alphabetical order. I mean, is there any other way?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 06:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe View Post
I prefer drawers for my spices. Easy to see and get to - they're in the top drawers. Plus, I have them in alphabetical order. I mean, is there any other way?!
Of course they need to be in alphabetical order!

Old 11-03-2019, 11:06 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,145,439 times
Undermount sink is an absolute must.

NO microwave over the range/cooktop...unless you have a tiny kitchen and there is no other option.

Nothing in the island (no sink, no cooktop...just pure, open space)...assuming your sink can go under a nice window.

Counter-depth refrigerator.

Walk-in pantry (or at least a good-size pantry relative to the size of the house).

Upper cabinets hung high enough so a KitchenAid stand mixer can fit beneath them. But if you're vertically challenged, don't hang 'em extra high just for a certain "look" unless you like constantly getting on and off a step stool.

Lots of light (adjustable) and plenty of outlets.

Old 11-06-2019, 01:55 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
My biggest thing would be using the corner spaces correctly with lazy susans. Many older kitchens had dead space under counter in the corners.

If you plan on ripping into soffits or coves above the cabs, make sure they do not contain piping or duct work first.

Buy a cabinet finish that can withstand cleaning especially around the pulls and knobs. Better yet, consider where to eliminate pulls and knobs.

I agree with previous advice to add more electric outlets than you think you need. You will need them.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:10 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,476,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Answers View Post
I have tip outs by the sink. I've always had them, every house. I use the handle to open them, no water gets on the front to damage them.

If you have room for a big island, don't make it so big that people can't get around it and 2 people can't work in the kitchen. Also, I like big deep drawers instead of cabinets with 2 doors and pull out shelves. Big deep drawers serve the same purpose and it's a one hand/motion thing to get inside, not 2 with the possibility of banging the shelf into the inside of the door.

A pantry cabinet should always have pull out shelves. They're worth the money.

Enjoy the process. Don't obsess over the dirt and dust and mess, it's temporary!
Great point about the cabinets. Except for the kitchen I actually designed for myself, any kitchen I lived in whether it was a house or an apartment, did not have kitchen cabinets that were realistic as far as housing pots, pans, etc., for a cook who actually used the kitchen.

It's so important, for anyone designing a kitchen to talk to someone who actuallly uses one every day - what do they need, how do you make it accessible when you need it, etc.

Old 11-07-2019, 04:43 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
I read these threads as I am going to be remodeling our kitchen shortly. I have been evaluating what I think I want and have had more than a few proposed plans.

I still don't quite get why people so prefer drawers.
I mean, I will have, as I currently do, one bank of drawers, and a single drawer at the top of cabinet doors but so many people say to get full banks of drawers instead of doors.
I will have a lazy susan where I think I will probably keep my pots and pans. I am trying to understand why drawers are so preferred over regular cabinet door with shelves.
I think they are also more expensive, but it's more the rationale for why they are more desirable.

I definitely agree about undermount sinks and single bowl deep sinks, and one handle faucets.

Old 11-07-2019, 06:48 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
I read these threads as I am going to be remodeling our kitchen shortly. I have been evaluating what I think I want and have had more than a few proposed plans.

I mean, I will have, as I currently do, one bank of drawers, and a single drawer at the top of cabinet doors but so many people say to get full banks of drawers instead of doors.
I will have a lazy susan where I think I will probably keep my pots and pans. I am trying to understand why drawers are so preferred over regular cabinet door with shelves.
I think they are also more expensive, but it's more the rationale for why they are more desirable.

I definitely agree about undermount sinks and single bowl deep sinks, and one handle faucets.
If you go with cabinets, get pullouts. Drawers or pullouts are easier on the back, and things don't get "lost" at the back of a cabinet.

Drawers are preferable in some cases to pullouts because things don't fall to the side of drawers like they do on pullouts. But sometimes drawers aren't feasible.

Lazy Susans are of the devil for me - I try to avoid all corner anythings because things tend to fall in the back, never to be seen again. Plus - a square is more usable than a triangle - more usable space. But sometimes a corner space can't be altered and in that case, I can see how a lazy Susan might be the best option. If you must use one, try to put a cabinet door on the other side if possible. That's not possible of course, if both sides of a triangular space back up against two walls which are at a right angle to each other. But sometimes the right angle is between a wall on one side and a peninsula on the other side.

Old 11-07-2019, 08:45 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post

My last kitchen had doors that opened to pull-out shelves. They worked out fine. My present kitchen has mainly drawers --and drawers. I recently discovered a forgotten drawer that has nothing in it. Yeah, I have a lot of drawers. I don't prefer them to cabs with the pull out shelves. If those aren't in the budget, then get drawers where appropriate. I don't like the look of them as well as cabinet doors, but I do like the functionality. They are just easier. And you will have upper cabinets, so you will have some cabinets.

But whatever you do, put a lazy susan in the corner(s) of your kitchen cabs.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:20 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
My last kitchen had doors that opened to pull-out shelves. They worked out fine. My present kitchen has mainly drawers --and drawers. I recently discovered a forgotten drawer that has nothing in it. Yeah, I have a lot of drawers. I don't prefer them to cabs with the pull out shelves. If those aren't in the budget, then get drawers where appropriate. I don't like the look of them as well as cabinet doors, but I do like the functionality. They are just easier. And you will have upper cabinets, so you will have some cabinets.

But whatever you do, put a lazy susan in the corner(s) of your kitchen cabs.
Yes I am putting a lazy susan in the one corner and will pretty much have pull outs where there are not drawers in the lowers. I still think I hear people prefer drawers to cabinets with pullouts but maybe I misunderstood. I prefer the pull outs.
Thank you-

Old 11-07-2019, 10:51 AM

4,605 posts, read 3,294,354 times
The reason I like a drawer for pots and pans instead of a cabinet, even with pullouts, is that you open the drawer and there everything is, all the way to the back of the cabinet area. For me, that's worth a lot, instead of losing things at the back. And the very, very worst are the kitchen pot and pan cabinets that have a half shelf at the back of them. Handy to put things on and never see them again. You have to stand on your head to see what's back there if you do want to see them again. I guess that got popular because they wanted to give you a tall space for - what? Something that would be so tall it absolutely occluded what was behind it.

So the only thing I can think of that wouldn't go in a drawer is a tall soup pan; I think even a mixer would fit in those drawers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating