Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How To Configure House?
Put Laundry Room in Living Room Expansion 3 15.79%
Put Laundry Room in Garage 15 78.95%
Other (Explain) 1 5.26%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 10:15 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
Having laundry in the garage may also depend on where the OP lives. If in a colder state, it may not be practical, unless he decides to build a room in the garage and heat it (or if the garage itself is heated). Otherwise, you have to worry about pipes freezing in the Winter, not to mention how unpleasant it might be working with the laundry in an unheated garage in the dead of Winter in, like, Wisconsin or something.
You have to have vents for heating run in there, or provide auxiliary heat. This of course adds to the cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2019, 12:28 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,700,812 times
Reps to all thoughts and ideas. Here's more details:

- Never below freezing. Attic access from either room and can (fairly) easily run new ducting to a register for heating, if desired, though I may just leave it unheated, depending on advice of contractor/inspection requirements.

- Current W/D are in the same location as the new garage room. Yes, they are in the dirty open spidery garage. Wife not too happy about that situation.

Moving them to the living room carve-out would mean running electric/water through new walls or attic. Drain line would have to be set in the new slab pour. Probably going to do this anyway, to put water/power/drain to a new kitchen island, depending on size/suitability of current washing machine drain line.

- Would rather not do stackable. I don't want to replace my current W/D, and I don't want to limit myself or future buyers to stackables with a too-small room.

+ Good points on noise. Didn't think about that.

- Do want utility sink. Don't care as much about shelving to fold. We don't fold in the laundry room, and future owners can replace or cover utility sink with a folding surface if desired.

- Biggest concerns / balance are between losing living room space and noise vs. losing garage/parking space (and the concern this would cause when selling). Most people around here fill their garages with crap and park on their driveways. We garage our cars, and the new carve-out of the garage would not prevent that (small cars).

Old 10-29-2019, 12:48 PM

23,303 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
We garage our cars, and the new carve-out of the garage would not prevent that (small cars).
But you need to consider that future owners may not have small cars. I've built three garages for my homes. I drive smaller cars, but always planned one large enough for at least one full sized pickup including door swing. A cramped garage is more likely to end up being storage.

Old 10-29-2019, 03:16 PM

We sold our home with a small two car garage, shortened with the laundry room carve out. I think they need to consider their needs,

OP, did you consider moving to a more suitable house?

Old 10-29-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We sold our home with a small two car garage, shortened with the laundry room carve out. I think they need to consider their needs,

OP, did you consider moving to a more suitable house?
I live in socal and bought in during the downturn. Prop 13 keeps my property taxes nice and low. Moving to another house would cost MUCH more than renovating.

Plus, my neighborhood can't be beat!

Planning to sell at retirement (if ever) and move overseas.

Old 10-29-2019, 09:25 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Our laundry set-up is in the garage in a separate alcove with a folding laundry table to work off. There are cabinets over the w/d area and a place to hang up laundry on hangars. All of our neighborhood homes were built that way. Works great, nice and quiet.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:13 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Maybe a wildfire will help with the remodel (and you'll get all you want/need)- JK!
They are no laughing matter- and hopefully you're not in the "line of fire"! LOL!

With more details I see this (new) laundry room being rather expensive for what it is- and the fact that it's already there.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Maybe a wildfire will help with the remodel (and you'll get all you want/need)- JK!
They are no laughing matter- and hopefully you're not in the "line of fire"! LOL!

With more details I see this (new) laundry room being rather expensive for what it is- and the fact that it's already there.
I wish.

My house is on the edge of a fire danger area. Fires burn up to the edge of the neighborhood about once a decade, but the wind pattern is such that no house has ever burned in 60 years of fires.

Actually, I was quite disappointed that my home didn't burn two years ago, when the fire came right up to the edge of my back yard. I could've gotten free demolition, free site remediation from the state, and a huge wad of insurance cash to rebuild, and also to rent while the rebuild was going on. Not to mention getting rid of all the old junk inside.

I'm sure, as soon as I get it remodeled just the way I like it, it'll burn down.

Old 11-01-2019, 03:10 PM

If you intend to spend another decade in this house, my advice is to make it right for you. A decent laundry room is something that makes life in a home easier.

I think you should talk to a designer or architect before making firm plans if you can manage it. And do keep us posted.

Old 11-05-2019, 09:16 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Mine is in the garage and I love it there. Very little noise filters into the house. If it were to ever develop a leak, you will be thankful it is there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating