Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 08:36 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Ok great - generally speaking though, it's pretty delicate. Good to know it may be able to be protected because it's beautiful when it's in it's pristine condition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 09:26 AM

14,956 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I love my cheap, laminate countertops. I remodeled 15 years ago & they are just fine now. I wouldn't put a hot pan/dish directly on my counter. So melting/marring isn't a concern. Yes they are the least durable, but for my small kitchen, they are just fine with me. I don't like the cold stone. But for someone who cooks/bakes a lot, I could see that other finishes would suit their needs better.
If it was up to me... same thing, but alas.... happy wife, I pay for it.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:39 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,397,832 times
Quote:
Granite looks like yesterday. Quartz looks like tomorrow.
Until it doesn't...
I am sticking with natural materials - stone, granite, wood - for the long haul. The "quartz" looks clean and modern but also somewhat plastic which I guess it really is some sort of synthetic resin mixed with quartz/rock dust. One can only imagine what the next countertop surface will be touted as the latest and greatest.

Old 11-06-2019, 07:14 AM

15,626 posts, read 10,380,316 times
The trend for kitchen countertops has been white for 15 years. if you want a trendy choice, go with white quartz or honed marble.

my house came with venetian gold granite kitchen countertops. I didn't like the yellowish counters at first, but they have grown on me. The granite has been so durable, never looks dirty, and visually warms up a kitchen with dark greige cabinets and sleek flooring. I never would have chosen this granite, but the color works great in our mid-century open concept first floor.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:45 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Innovations are always coming at you

Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
The "quartz" looks clean and modern but also somewhat plastic which I guess it really is some sort of synthetic resin mixed with quartz/rock dust. One can only imagine what the next countertop surface will be touted as the latest and greatest.
1. "Quartz" countertops are 93% quartz and 7% resin.

2. One newer surface is Dekton - https://www.dekton.com/usa/what-is-dekton/

3. Another is large format ceramic tiles - https://www.florim.com/en/large-format-tile/

Old 11-06-2019, 08:00 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
I'm really a fan of solid surface but in this house we have my favorite - absolute and black pearl granite. The polished/shiny kind. Never had to repolish it, I just use granite gold weekly.

Yes, if you leave water on it for too long it can leave a stain, but it can be removed professionally. I have a few of those but with black pearl they just blend in. No big deal. When we sell the house maybe we'll care.

It's sleek, durable, and I just love it. Black is one of those colors that pairs with everything and never really goes out of style IMO.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:40 PM

37,592 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Quartz is pretty much bullet proof. My only complaint is some very slight edge chipping, but that's my fault for going with the basic 1/8" roundover edge. In hindsight, a more radiused edge would be better.
It's not. Nothing is bulletproof. You can chip it, for sure. You can burn it if you fail to use a hot mat with a really hot pan.

And apparently, it can stain, depending on the type. I have never had anything stain my quartz but there are quite a few threads on HOUZZ where people have voiced their dissatisfaction:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/43...e-out#24790379

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/35...ter-top-stains

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/43...rtz-stains#n=7

Old 11-08-2019, 07:45 AM

2,539 posts, read 1,907,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
We have granite in our kitchen and quartz in 2 of the bathrooms. I much prefer the quartz.
I have the same...granite in the kitchen and quartz in the bathrooms. I like the granite for the kitchen. The counters were all replaced by the previous owner, but I am very happy with their choices.

Old 11-08-2019, 08:03 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
We replaced recently with quartz. We looked at many granites, but they’re just too busy for me. Quartz is very easy care and no sealing needed.

Old 11-08-2019, 02:49 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
We replaced recently with quartz. We looked at many granites, but they’re just too busy for me. Quartz is very easy care and no sealing needed.
don't care for busy granites either, that's why I'm a big fan of absolute black, black pearl, black galaxy, etc. I like the uniformity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating