Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 06:35 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
I love my cheap, laminate countertops. I remodeled 15 years ago & they are just fine now. I wouldn't put a hot pan/dish directly on my counter. So melting/marring isn't a concern. Yes they are the least durable, but for my small kitchen, they are just fine with me. I don't like the cold stone. But for someone who cooks/bakes a lot, I could see that other finishes would suit their needs better.
When I sold my house after 32 years, the laminate in the kitchen still looked great and was very functional. but young people don't want that. I put in new granite before it went on the market. My feeling is that granite fell out of favor with designers when it became more affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 09:30 AM

1,449 posts, read 1,147,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
When I sold my house after 32 years, the laminate in the kitchen still looked great and was very functional. but young people don't want that. I put in new granite before it went on the market. My feeling is that granite fell out of favor with designers when it became more affordable.
Kinda off topic, but...

When I'm house-hunting, I *much* prefer homes that have the still-looks-good laminate in the kitchen over those that have newly installed granite (or whatever). It could be the difference in my making an offer on a home or not. I'd keep the laminate while I shop around for the exact countertops I'd want, knowing the laminate is super easy to replace. Then again, I've long since left the "young people" demographic.

Old 11-11-2019, 12:57 PM

298 posts, read 303,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Hi: Thanks for your response. I went to the link you posted. Do you know if you can put hot pans directly on these countertops? I really use my kitchen so want to make sure I can put a hot pan on it or anything else hot like a cookie pan.

Old 11-11-2019, 01:01 PM

298 posts, read 303,463 times
Thanks so much for all the responses! I am leaning towards soapstone but realize there isn't many color choices. I really use my kitchen I make everything at home and very seldom do we buy premade or fast food or even restaurant except for special occasions. I roll out dough on the counters want to put cookie sheets hot from the oven on counters. I really like a cooks friendly kitchen.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:25 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicCarFamily View Post
Thanks so much for all the responses! I am leaning towards soapstone but realize there isn't many color choices. I really use my kitchen I make everything at home and very seldom do we buy premade or fast food or even restaurant except for special occasions. I roll out dough on the counters want to put cookie sheets hot from the oven on counters. I really like a cooks friendly kitchen.
Soapstone takes heat GREAT. Should be no problem putting a hot cookie sheet on a soapstone countertop. YOu can also roll out dough easily on a soapstone counter top too - ask me how I know - LOL.

Soapstone comes in darker or lighter gray colors, with varying levels of white or even quartz stripes (my quartz stripes had a lot of green in them).

Old 11-17-2019, 01:05 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Soapstone takes heat GREAT. Should be no problem putting a hot cookie sheet on a soapstone countertop. YOu can also roll out dough easily on a soapstone counter top too - ask me how I know - LOL.

Soapstone comes in darker or lighter gray colors, with varying levels of white or even quartz stripes (my quartz stripes had a lot of green in them).
On a side note, I haven't been on this topic for awhile but Kathryn! After all the many posts about your house and the way you had it decorated, you MOVED??!

Old 11-17-2019, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
On a side note, I haven't been on this topic for awhile but Kathryn! After all the many posts about your house and the way you had it decorated, you MOVED??!
Yes, and we sold our former house in two hours! And it closed a few weeks ago.

Love love love our new house too! And I'm decorating it too.

It is only 10 years old (the other house was over 20 years old) but it has needed some paint, a bit of flooring, light fixtures and a few faucets replaced, etc. so I've been keeping busy.

Old 11-23-2019, 03:29 PM

61 posts, read 73,392 times
Didn't read all the replies but wanted to say I have, and love, soapstone counters. I picked them out in 2005 when we did a huge reno on a house we bought. I spent tons of time designing the kitchen as I had never had the chance to create one from scratch before. I looked at every countertop material-I had a lot of countertop space so that was an important element.

Soapstone "won" for me as it wasn't shiny, was natural, doesn't need to be babied and is not "trendy". I still love it and would choose it again. I love rolling dough, pastry on it, it nicely thaws things-like take a pack of bacon out of the freezer and it thaws enough to cook by the time I make the pancakes.

Old 11-23-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshiregrl View Post
Didn't read all the replies but wanted to say I have, and love, soapstone counters. I picked them out in 2005 when we did a huge reno on a house we bought. I spent tons of time designing the kitchen as I had never had the chance to create one from scratch before. I looked at every countertop material-I had a lot of countertop space so that was an important element.

Soapstone "won" for me as it wasn't shiny, was natural, doesn't need to be babied and is not "trendy". I still love it and would choose it again. I love rolling dough, pastry on it, it nicely thaws things-like take a pack of bacon out of the freezer and it thaws enough to cook by the time I make the pancakes.
I love soapstone too and hope to put it in my kitchen again some day.

Old 11-24-2019, 12:29 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes, and we sold our former house in two hours! And it closed a few weeks ago.

Love love love our new house too! And I'm decorating it too.

It is only 10 years old (the other house was over 20 years old) but it has needed some paint, a bit of flooring, light fixtures and a few faucets replaced, etc. so I've been keeping busy.
Wow, congrats! Sounds like you like a project. OK, well, we'll be waiting for before and afters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating