Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 02:59 PM

100 posts, read 68,375 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody, I wasn't sure where to post this, so I will post it here for now.
I am hosting Thanksgiving at my house this year for close family only So far I have 13 people and 4 kids.

I live in a small townhouse and we do not have space for a sit down dinner for 13 people. Can you please share your tips on how to host a Thanksgiving dinner in a small space? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 03:06 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times
Put out a couple of card tables. Rent or borrow some folding chairs.

Old 11-04-2019, 03:15 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,092,947 times
Do you have a breakfast bar? Set up as a buffet and add folding chairs and snack tables. People will remember the fun and not the fact that there was no table. Perhaps, so decorative touches around if your budget permits.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:09 PM

17,471 posts, read 65,994,520 times
Turkey sandwiches from Subway!

Old 11-04-2019, 10:23 PM

61,629 posts, read 86,981,866 times
Yup, I agree- buffet style.
Folding table and folding chairs. You can even rent those.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:32 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,125,460 times
Formal won’t work, so make it casual. Some of the most fun parties I’ve been to, were annual Christmas parties hosted in Paradise Valley. The house was incredible, and could have hosted a sit down dinner for fifty, but the fun part was having everything casual. It was potluck, and dishes were set up in the kitchen, along with paper plates and utensils. Wine, beer and sodas were set up in another area, along with plastic cups and glasses, and you could help yourself. Deserts were in another part of the kitchen. Seating was wherever you wanted. A few folks gathered at the table, while the rest settled in the living room or out on the patio.

A big crowd attended these parties, but the same style would work well for your smaller gathering. Let your guests sit where they want, and have extra tables and chairs. Everyone should have a great time.

Old 11-05-2019, 05:07 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,193,739 times
People are coming to be with family, so set it out as suggested above buffet style. Kids can sit on the floor, and just use folding chairs for the rest.

Old 11-05-2019, 09:12 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,534,555 times
When we host at our home, we do it buffet style and people can sit where they want including couch, loveseat, small dining room table that has only 4 chairs, and I out up some camping chairs I have along with folding tv dinner tables. Works fine.

Old 11-05-2019, 05:01 PM

24,091 posts, read 32,431,870 times
I agree - informal and buffet style. Many town homes have a breakfast bar or long center island. Does yours? If so, I'd use that as a buffet.

Many town homes also have a finished basement, and are tri-level. While not very wide, they are tall and generally make good use of space. If you have a finished lower level, you could set up some tables down there. It's also a good place for "the kids table.

Informal does not mean cheap or tacky! Have fun! I also like the idea of card tables set up around the house. I'd decorate the tables with mums - small so people can see one another. Or an autumn leaf centerpiece.

In your situation I'd limit the offering to an entree - probably turkey, and no more than three sides, plus a salad. Three sides not including stuffing.

To drink, simplify. Make a punch - so many recipes! You can do one adult punch and one for children. Less work and confusion.

I would offer three deserts and ice cream. Again, serve yourself.

If card tables are not an option, invest in those white oblong folding tables that are popular with summer cook outs and garage sales. They are inexpensive and you will use them again.

A cute idea - give each guest a TG themed chocolate lollipop. Decorating with Mylar Thanksgiving colored balloons.

I am mentioning decor and food because all of this can distract from a tight space. Guests will leave with a festive memory - not the dimensions of your home, in mind.

Formal dining is really not on trend today.

Old 11-06-2019, 04:57 AM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Is it warm where you live? I’ve seen folks set up tables in their garage for holidays.

Otherwise, as long as you have a chair for everyone and a place to set up a buffet, you’ll be fine. It’s about sharing and the company after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating