Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 09:40 AM

330 posts, read 266,239 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone! I'm still not sure if I'm going to remove the floor mirror, I think I will take someones suggestion on here about painting them first just to see how they look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 10:04 AM

356 posts, read 371,145 times
I agree with some of the other posts, the mirrors are too large and chunky for the room. I would also only have one mirror in the room. I wold also get an area rug to bring in some color.

Old 11-13-2019, 10:09 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,478,210 times
I'd paint the walls a warm tone other than brown. Your room has yellowish, warm undertones. A warm shade of gray could work.

So can bold accent pieces that work with WARM shades. Such as a rug, pillows, etc.

Best bet would be to paint the room another color.

The mirrors are too large, but that's not making much of a difference to me.

Old 11-13-2019, 11:49 AM

61,709 posts, read 87,101,195 times
Finally at home so I can look at it on the computer - the first thing I noticed are things out of proportion. This is a fairly small room, or so it appears - the furniture are too big - the mirrors (why so big and so many?), the table and probably the chairs. Even the beige, empty planter (or whatever that is - way too big dwarfing the window).
Then the lamp by the patio door - there is no chair to sit and read, so what is the purpose?

AND then I noticed the curio cabinet. Is it blocking the way to the next room? I think there is a room just behind it. Looks like a dining room, no?

If that was my room, I would remove the big mirror - a smaller, long piece in a light frame would make the room appear bigger (those two are doing the opposite).
Perhaps the size of the yellowish ottoman, but not bigger. Place above the ottoman across the way to the next room. Then a smaller lighter table in front of the ottoman. Standing on a colorful rug.

The two chairs strategically close, but I don't know exactly where because I can't see the spot where you're standing and taking pictures. The lamp close to one of the chairs, but not in anyone's way. Or maybe between the chairs?

Colorful accents - toned red, orange, green or blue. Nothing neutral anymore.

The curio cabinet needs to go out of the walkway and on the opposite wall.
Could you please stand with your back to the fireplace and take a picture of the opposite area of the room?
We need to see that area to place chairs and the cabinet.

Out with the mirror above the fireplace. It's too big, too high and doesn't complement the room. You could put the picture on or above it.

The huge mirror with the thick, ornate frame is just way too big to put anywhere. I bet you could get pretty money for it, though. The other mirror maybe in the bedroom, dining room or in the hall?

Ah, and what I see in that mirror? Is there a picture on the opposite wall hanging high, touching the ceiling? We need to see that wall...
It almost looks like you have those big pieces out of context there, like from a big mansion or museum. They are gorgeous - but they seem not to fit into this small room. Rethink their purpose so they could be appreciated. Or sell them.

Old 11-13-2019, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue777 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone! I'm still not sure if I'm going to remove the floor mirror, I think I will take someones suggestion on here about painting them first just to see how they look.
Painting the mirror frame???????
The big standing mirror appears to have a gorgeous, wood carved frame. Painting it will probably ruin the look. Perhaps it will find a loving place in any of your other rooms, instead...

Old 11-13-2019, 02:09 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,129,439 times
Elnina is right, please don’t paint those mirrors. They are very elegant, but look huge and out of scale with the room. Painting them would ruin what is probably an original wood finish and wouldn’t fix the proportions. You might consider moving them to another room, or selling them.

Here is a room that I came across. I really like the colors in this room, the brown looks really good with these purples, oranges and greens. Notice how everything is in proportion, nothing is too large or overpowering. The seating is grouped up next to the coffee table, and it looks very inviting for guests. The fireplace is not dominated by anything too large, the room looks balanced. The lamp you have off in the corner, would look better next to a chair.

I really like your pretty hardwood floors, creamy white walls and whitewashed fireplace.
Attached Thumbnails
Any recommendations to break up these browns in living room?-383d0039-d856-4ec1-95cc-045e964c0074.jpeg  

Last edited by Taz22; 11-13-2019 at 03:10 PM..

Old 11-13-2019, 02:13 PM

I love this room ^^^^^!!

Old 11-13-2019, 03:02 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
You need more lighting! I like recessed lights in the ceiling, although others do not. But in a dim room, ceiling lights, plus other task lighting, can make a huge difference.

I would add a colorful area rug, and key some accessories to the colors in the rug.

And the two mirrors are too large for the room. Neither one looks right to me.

But, pretty room overall.

Old 11-13-2019, 03:03 PM

548 posts, read 1,217,389 times
The room is lovely, but that mirror over the fireplace is too large (and the frame too thick) for the space. I would remove it and re-assess.

Old 11-13-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albuquerque101 View Post
The room is lovely, but that mirror over the fireplace is too large (and the frame too thick) for the space. I would remove it and re-assess.
Yeah, I would move stuff around and see if there is a better setting that would compliment that room.
Thankfully there aren't many heavy furniture to move.
I have neighbor who moves all her furniture once a month When I visit her, I never know what to expect. She thinks that by doing that, her rooms never feel boring ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating