Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2019, 10:33 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times

Advertisements

Working on it! If I'm not able to lug the big tree in from the shed (untimely shoulder injury), then I'll put up my 4' silver feather tree. It weighs much less and requires less stretching and reaching. But ooh la la, it's so pretty when I use ornaments of a single color!

The other decorations will go up this week. I was busy last weekend finishing up the fall chores ... It's still technically fall, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2019, 10:36 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
how strange is it that people have such strong opinions on when other people put up their decorations. i paid a company to decorate the house. hired them early november with an understanding that they would go up before thanksgiving. they put them up a few days later, so they have been up since early/mid november.

Old 12-11-2019, 01:35 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
how strange is it that people have such strong opinions on when other people put up their decorations. i paid a company to decorate the house. hired them early november with an understanding that they would go up before thanksgiving. they put them up a few days later, so they have been up since early/mid november.
I personally do not care when others decorate.

We generally wait till after Thanksgiving. You do you. Enjoy your longer season of lights.

Old 12-11-2019, 02:28 PM

22,339 posts, read 29,439,446 times
I usually do December 1st.

Old 12-13-2019, 02:03 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK I am totally in the Christmas spirit now! I sort of was before but today it really bit me! I'M ALL IN!

So - several neighbors have gotten those really shiny, sparkly deer that stand in the yard. I like those but dang it I didn't want to be a copy cat. So I decided to go get SOMETHING to put in the yard today.

On the way to the store, I was admiring how sunshiny and pleasant December in Texas usually is, and is today. It is about 60 degrees and absolutely gorgeous outside! The leaves are off the trees now so the bare branches were against a deep blue sky and I passed all kinds of people outside putting out Christmas decorations - it was really starting to feel Christmassy to me.

Then I got to the big box store and they were completely out of deer - well, I didn't want deer anyway. But THEN I saw this huge - and I do mean huge - like at least 7 feet tall - elk made of lightweight wire, all sparkly with glitter, and he can light up at night (may do that, may not, don't know yet). He is bronzy glittery gorgeous with a huge spread of antlers! I couldn't find any in the store, so I asked a guy who worked there where they were and he looked it up and said, "Ooops, he's our last one - and we don't have a box for him. But let me see if I can sell him to you." And he COULD! In fact, he was THE LAST ONE in the system out of all the stores! I mean, a few other stores also had him on display but no more are being shipped and there were no more anywhere in boxes.

Well, that made me want him even more.

So anyway, he's huge but he's not heavy, so I just carried him (awkwardly) to the register. All along the way, at least ten people, maybe even more, exclaimed about how beautiful he is, how great he was going to look in my yard, etc. etc. which was pleasant.

THEN after I paid for him, and got him out to my SUV, this guy came out behind me and said, "I can put him in the back of my truck and take him to your house if you like." I said, "I really appreciate that but honestly, I can put these seats down. I can get him in my SUV." THEN several other people came over and said, "Let us help you," (and I needed some help because he was AWKWARD) and after some finagling, we got him in the car!

On the way home, I had glittery antlers in my face, and I was listening to "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus" and I'm telling you, the Christmas spirit hit me HARD!

That elk is seriously impressive! I think it would even fool a real one!

Old 12-13-2019, 02:42 PM

It wouldn't be a coastal Christmas tree without Poseidon Santa!
Attached Thumbnails
Did you put up any Christmas decorations yet?-fb_img_1576247793432.jpg   Did you put up any Christmas decorations yet?-xmas-tree-edited.jpg  

Old 12-13-2019, 04:15 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
I wonder how it came about that deer (elk in one case) came about as Christmas decorations???

Old 12-13-2019, 07:29 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,400 times
I have a box of Christmas decorations that came with me in my move to my new house last February. I have no idea where it ended up and it's driving me crazy as I would like to add that to this years decorations. Oh well, maybe I should dig around in the garage.

Old 12-13-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I wonder how it came about that deer (elk in one case) came about as Christmas decorations???
OOH....I happen to know this!

It's a Nordic tradition stemming from pagan winter solstice celebrations venerating "Mother Christmas":

https://gathervictoria.com/2017/12/1...her-christmas/

Old 12-14-2019, 08:04 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Who knows - I guess the same way red pick up trucks did so.

Elk, deer, reindeer maybe? Antlered things in the woods? Hunting season? Who knows. Nordic traditions? LOL

Doesn't much matter to me - I like them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating