Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 11:08 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,965,127 times

Advertisements

I was told by Sherwin Williams store that the lighting plays a great deal into grey colors . I had to go back a couple of times and get a solid grey . mine is going in a closet it has one white wall and the other wall is grey . I went with a Sherwin Williams called Featherstone grey it is a gorgeous shade of gray .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2019, 03:46 PM

13,437 posts, read 15,356,048 times
I have this same problem and will need to repaint. wanted a light gray and got a light blue. it sucks. now i'll have to repaint using a pro and it will cost 1500. two story family room plus loft area on second floor

Old 11-21-2019, 04:13 PM

22,905 posts, read 18,196,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI7788 View Post
I’m actually dead serious that there should at least be some sort of notation/warning on the swatches about these undertones.
How could they possibly create a warning that would suit everyone? Some customers may hope for exactly what you didn't. Don't forget the constant change in light. The light at a specific time of day will affect what you see at the paint store, in your room, on the swatch, or the wall, while wet, when dry. It can take a little time to realize what color you actually end up getting. I find that colors I tend to choose end up being "too much". Backing off to something paler, less pronounced than I think I want often turns out best.

Old 11-21-2019, 04:40 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,473,015 times
You could try different (warmer) light bulbs before you repaint. Gray & beige and even white can be tricky colors.

Old 11-21-2019, 08:32 PM

268 posts, read 174,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyfan View Post
You could try different (warmer) light bulbs before you repaint. Gray & beige and even white can be tricky colors.
Tried it instantly. No change.

Old 11-21-2019, 08:45 PM

1,441 posts, read 1,118,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Another tidbit I read is that when you like a swatch go for the next shade lighter when you go to paint.
^^^I'm going to try to remember this next time we're picking out paint colors!^^^

I feel the OP's pain. I think the "painful" part stems from the huge let-down after all the effort to make the "perfect" color choice and the excitement of what you had envisioned. I've been surprised by the end results almost every time we've painted, interior and exterior. Some of the surprises have been pleasant, others not so much.

Repaint if the result upsets you; it's only paint (and some time and a bit of money -- none of which you'll regret spending once it's fixed).

Old 11-22-2019, 08:21 AM

356 posts, read 365,010 times
If it is that off, are you sure they mixed the color accurately?
Sure paint is important but how a room looks goes way beyond wall color. Put down a nice rug, hang a masculine mirror, buy a pair of good quality lamps (search Homegoods for brands like Regina Andrew, Uttermost, Drexel Heritage, Jamie Young) Make sure lamps are large enough. Top of the lamp should be close to the hight of your head when you sit up in bed. You'd be surprised how paint will feel less important after you put all your things back in the room. Post a picture if you can.

Old 11-22-2019, 08:32 AM

268 posts, read 174,664 times
With the mixture I’m not sure how it could be “Wrong” when if I put the swatch on the wall it is an absolute perfect match to the baby blue. Like I said, it was all an illusion, with the main thing being me now seeing an entire room painted the color as opposed to a super small square. I’ve read that you really don’t get a REAL feel true idea for the color until its in your face as opposed to a 3 inch square. This is why people paint a nice little section of the wall with a roller first to get a better feel. I should have known better, I guess.

I noted earlier that I did begin to rearrange my room leaving only complimentary colors of gray (i.e. blacks/whites) and the gray of the color began “appearing” a LOT more but this would literally mean me redecorating my entire bedroom as in buying everything from new blinds to a comforter to wall art, etc. I am just not going that route. Truly a heartbreaking situation and a large loss of money that I’ll never ever forget. Really could barely afford the $400 to begin with. That being said I’m sure I’ll feel a good amount better after I paint it this weekend.

Old 11-22-2019, 09:01 AM

67,655 posts, read 60,289,862 times
Paint is a relatively cheap fix but I do feel your pain.

If it makes you feel any better, one time I painted our living room what I thought was a nice tan. It was more of a not as nice butterscotch. And my son went to school on Monday and told his teacher we had painted our living room orange.

Yeah - I repainted. Ugh.

Old 11-22-2019, 10:48 AM

5,401 posts, read 6,473,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI7788 View Post
With the mixture I’m not sure how it could be “Wrong” when if I put the swatch on the wall it is an absolute perfect match to the baby blue. Like I said, it was all an illusion, with the main thing being me now seeing an entire room painted the color as opposed to a super small square. I’ve read that you really don’t get a REAL feel true idea for the color until its in your face as opposed to a 3 inch square. This is why people paint a nice little section of the wall with a roller first to get a better feel. I should have known better, I guess.

I noted earlier that I did begin to rearrange my room leaving only complimentary colors of gray (i.e. blacks/whites) and the gray of the color began “appearing” a LOT more but this would literally mean me redecorating my entire bedroom as in buying everything from new blinds to a comforter to wall art, etc. I am just not going that route. Truly a heartbreaking situation and a large loss of money that I’ll never ever forget. Really could barely afford the $400 to begin with. That being said I’m sure I’ll feel a good amount better after I paint it this weekend.
At least the baby blue paint will act as a primer & result in a decent final coat. Everyone who decorates has had some sort of paint color disaster. I like to tint the primer because I think it adds depth to the final color. Please post how it turns out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating