Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 08:18 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,305,920 times

Advertisements

I like it. Easy to clean, durable, suitable for wet service. Personally I rely on my shoes for padding rather than the floor; the truth is that you're not going to notice a dime's worth of difference in the "hardness" between tile/brick vs. wood and wood substitutes. I bet a double blind test would show that people can't actually tell the difference. The difference in actual hardness of flooring materials is many orders of magnitude less than the difference between the insole and midsole of a good pair of shoes vs. any flooring material you would care to consider.

Only thing is that I think it would be mainly suitable for a large space; I think it would seem overkill for a small kitchen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 09:09 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I like it. Easy to clean, durable, suitable for wet service. Personally I rely on my shoes for padding rather than the floor; the truth is that you're not going to notice a dime's worth of difference in the "hardness" between tile/brick vs. wood and wood substitutes. I bet a double blind test would show that people can't actually tell the difference. The difference in actual hardness of flooring materials is many orders of magnitude less than the difference between the insole and midsole of a good pair of shoes vs. any flooring material you would care to consider.

Only thing is that I think it would be mainly suitable for a large space; I think it would seem overkill for a small kitchen.
I was quite young when I lived in a house built on a concrete slab. Kitchen had vinyl or asbestos tile—I don’t remember which. That was the worst floor to stand on! Standing on it hurt my feet and my legs. I disagree that padded shoes are the answer for a brick floor. Not only do you have a hard floor, you have more unevenness than with tile, especially as the brick looks like used brick.

And hard floors have another disadvantage in a kitchen. Whatever you drop, unless it is plastic, not only breaks, it breaks into a zillion pieces. Imagine trying to sweep glass shards up out of all those indentations and crevices after a glass shatters on that brick floor.

Surfaces in a kitchen should be practical first.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:31 AM

4,211 posts, read 6,898,754 times
My wife and i are both barefoot in the house except for the dead of winter. We both prefer wood floors everywhere in the living and kitchen areas. The feeling is extremely different vs any hard surface. But it's just a personal preference.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:51 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,894,485 times
LOVE IT!!

My grandmother had a brick-floor kitchen, and it was no worse than ceramic tile for standing. Nowadays you could simply put a padded mat in any work area like the sink or stove.

It's incredibly durable and doesn't show wear. It's easy to clean with a scrub brush mop, and doesn't "show" dirt like other surfaces. Like tile, it's unforgiving when you drop a dish. That's the only negative I can think of.

Old 02-06-2020, 09:59 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,019,740 times
I do happen to think that brick is poised to make a comeback in home decor, but not this particular style.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:27 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,418,641 times
Except for the texture, that brick floor looks exactly like the vintage vinyl floor in my kitchen and adjacent nook. At least mine is easy to stand on and clean.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:41 AM

603 posts, read 444,957 times
Nope. Doesn't work for me. It looks dirty.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:58 AM

2,539 posts, read 1,906,400 times
I love the brick and I don't see the issue with keeping it clean. I am not a professional chef and do not spend hours standing in the kitchen, so hardness on my feet is not an issue. The only thing is that dropped items are likely to shatter, but the same is true for tile. My kitchen has wood floors. I like them and think wood looks good in any kitchen..

Old 02-06-2020, 12:02 PM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
And hard floors have another disadvantage in a kitchen. Whatever you drop, unless it is plastic, not only breaks, it breaks into a zillion pieces.
Yikes, I didn't think of that. As a collector of antique dishes and glassware, I'll stick to vinyl or genuine linoleum. My Fiestaware has bounced right off the vinyl floor.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:43 PM

15,140 posts, read 27,756,930 times
Not a fan at all of that floor myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating