Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2020, 09:55 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times

Advertisements

We painted the walls of one of our bathroom’s yellow. The bathroom has reddish brown floor and granite with pink/brown/green in it. Then we noticed our water looked muddy. At first we thought something happened to the water pipes, but nope. At a friend’s suggestion, and I thought she was crazy, we taped white sheets on the walls and sure enough our water quit looking muddy.

Anyone have something like that happen before? Needless to say, we’ll be painting those walls white real soon.

Old 07-10-2020, 10:29 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
We painted the walls of one of our bathroom’s yellow. The bathroom has reddish brown floor and granite with pink/brown/green in it. Then we noticed our water looked muddy. At first we thought something happened to the water pipes, but nope. At a friend’s suggestion, and I thought she was crazy, we taped white sheets on the walls and sure enough our water quit looking muddy.

Anyone have something like that happen before? Needless to say, we’ll be painting those walls white real soon.
Try changing out your light bulbs. It might help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 05:01 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
I have had colors affected by light bulbs, for sure. I can’t help but ask why you would have yellow and brown in a bathroom?

Old 07-11-2020, 05:16 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,115,501 times
Water actually has a reflective surface. Why do you think the ocean is blue?

Old 07-11-2020, 11:31 AM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Definitely. It is about how different colors absorb or reflect different wavelengths of light. The paint color of several different rooms in houses I've lived in definitely affected the appearance of the furnishings. Especially if the wall color wasn't subtle or a neutral shade. Everything shifts again if there are larger windows (more changes in ambient light at different times of day) or when you start turning lights on or off. When you think about it, walls make up a lot of the "surface" of any room compared to the furnishings in that room. The most extreme examples of this are black and white. Black absorbs all colors, white absorbs none (it reflects all). Blue colors absorb different amounts of red light. Yellow absorbs blue but reflects red and green. While in that room looking at objects, your eyes will experience other colors as having less of the absorbed color and more of the reflected ones...which is why you get the impression objects in that room appeared muddy (a combination of red and green reflected light would turn out more brownish).

https://www.houselogic.com/remodel/p...affects-color/

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-11-2020 at 11:57 AM..

Old 07-16-2020, 03:33 PM

12,843 posts, read 869,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have had colors affected by light bulbs, for sure. I can’t help but ask why you would have yellow and brown in a bathroom?
I agree about the yellow. Years ago I read that if there's one color to never use in a bathroom it is yellow. Even though I like yellow it is not a good bathroom color.

Old 07-17-2020, 05:54 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainydayparis View Post
I agree about the yellow. Years ago I read that if there's one color to never use in a bathroom it is yellow. Even though I like yellow it is not a good bathroom color.
I had a yellow bathroom about 20 years ago and while I did have some cloudy water issues, that was because I had ultra hard water and the water heater needed to be flushed. There was nothing else innately wrong with the water and I had no issues with the yellow. I had a 1.5 bath townhome and it was my main bathroom.

Old 07-17-2020, 07:48 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,115,501 times
People avoid yellow in bathrooms if it will make your skin color look sallow. Women won’t like the effect on their makeup application for example. The yellow from the walls will reflect on to your skin when examining your face in the mirror.

In other rooms yellow was at one time thought to be cheerful so was used in lots of kitchens. Today people choose boring gray more than boring beige.

Old 07-19-2020, 01:41 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,167,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Lol - I was hoping the yellow would cheer up the the reddish brown. It did, but......

Yeah, not a good idea.

Old 07-19-2020, 01:48 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Lol - I was hoping the yellow would cheer up the the reddish brown. It did, but......

Yeah, not a good idea.

This dredged up a memory of a guest powder room my mom redecorated in one of our family homes. She wanted to make a deliberate somewhat whimsical statement and chose this wallpaper crammed with very large bright flowers in primary colors. Tiny space, a lot of wallpaper. It sure had impact. When guests first saw it they usually said they liked it, but I noticed they didn't tend to linger in there. When they came out again they often looked slightly pop-eyed. Not the effect she intended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating