U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2020, 10:09 AM

4,375 posts, read 10,088,261 times

Advertisements

I like the original galley. It's quite open. Additionally, I cook alot and have a large family. I've had several different types of kitchens. Galley is one of my favorites because it is such an efficient use of space.

All of that being said, I would get an electric range/oven and get rid of the raised double oven and simply replace it with counter.

I am not a fan of extra counterspace. Flat surfaces tend to collect stuff.

There is no way I'd get rid of the extra pantry.

Also, I would not move the refrigerator. It looks like if you move it, it will be next to a wall and when the door is open it will block the walkway to the dining room.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2020, 12:14 PM

27,360 posts, read 17,739,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
I caution you to tread carefully if you plan to put your dishes in a cabinet directly above the dishwasher. I have that present set up, and I cannot comfortably reach into the cabinet with the dishwasher door open - as in when unloading the dishwasher. I have to take everything out, put them on the counter, close the dw door and then put the dishes in the cabinet.

My kitchen is pretty small and that cabinet is fairly narrow. YMMV.
Well, the dish cabinet does not have to be directly above the dishwasher. It should be in reasonable proximity.

And your point makes a good case for engaging a kitchen planner.

Old 04-26-2020, 12:41 PM

2,224 posts, read 953,733 times
Similar to #22, we have had and currently have our d/w below the main dish cabinet. It was a stretch getting dishes from d/w to cabinet....until I realized hey, put the dishes on the counter very easily and then place them in the cabinet above. Strange this to take pleasure in, but I guess it's the little things that count.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:28 AM

4,291 posts, read 2,134,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsandgardens View Post
Similar to #22, we have had and currently have our d/w below the main dish cabinet. It was a stretch getting dishes from d/w to cabinet....until I realized hey, put the dishes on the counter very easily and then place them in the cabinet above. Strange this to take pleasure in, but I guess it's the little things that count.
Yep. Our dishwasher is in a very long island with no upper cabinets. We just unload everything onto the smaller island directly behind, then move it all to the wall cabinets behind that where the dishes are stored.

Old 04-28-2020, 07:52 PM

1,794 posts, read 3,296,964 times
Op, here. Thank you for all of the replies.

There were a few good ideas I shared with the wife. The drawing was a rough drawing, and we aren't stuck on the stools. I do like the idea of the counter wrapping around where the pantry is. It could be a coffee bar or something (thanks, post #18). Space is tight on the counters right now.

Galley kitchens aren't ideal to most, due to the newest "open concept" designs on every HGTV show, but they aren't that bad. My house is also several decades old, so if I expected a huge open space, I would move.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:14 PM

15,226 posts, read 22,815,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneyus View Post
Op, here. Thank you for all of the replies.
You did not answer my question: What does your designer say? You did hire one?

Old 04-28-2020, 09:45 PM

14,135 posts, read 53,695,926 times
Quote:
Galley kitchens aren't ideal to most, due to the newest "open concept" designs on every HGTV show...

You don't really believe that S#!T do ya!? HGTV is entertainment! Take what you hear as a load of BS. As I, and several others have noted, galley kitchens are the most efficient use of space AND the "working triangle".

Most "open concept" kitchens I have seen are actually a form of a galley kitchen- cabinets run on two walls, right angles from each other, and an island as the defining lineation. A galley kitchen doesn't have to have three, or even four walls to define the space.

Old 05-02-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You did not answer my question: What does your designer say? You did hire one?
Where did I say I hired a designer? We are brainstorming before we get consultations/quotes from different companies who have examples of their work. I'm sure those companies are capable of sharing different ideas.

Old 05-02-2020, 08:11 PM

15,226 posts, read 22,815,457 times
Quote:
Where did I say I hired a designer?.
You did not.
But, you should.
Don’t cheap out.

Old 05-03-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
You did not.
But, you should.
Don’t cheap out.
Umm, OK. Thanks for the opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating