U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 06:37 AM

677 posts, read 904,676 times

Advertisements

Yes, I know they subcontract. We already know the company name they are using, it's in my area. But I can't find much info on them. One good, one bad review. We are getting carpets ripped out, getting SmartCore Pro Vinly Plank instilled, and new molding. The price, including an employee discount we got is great. The other estimates we got ranged from the 5 k mark for Cortec to around 4,100 for MoHawk SolidTeach and Rigid Core (not sure who makes it). We plan to being here another 5-7 years, so while we want the floor to hold up, didn't want to go super high end. Lowes estimate is around 1k less then our middle estimate. It's a 20 mill wear layer but doesn't have anywhere near a good warranty as the MoHawks I looked at in the private floor store. We did all the scratch tests we found on youtube on the SmartCore and it held up fine

DH 100% wants to go with Lowes bc of the price and that this isn't our forever home. My anxiety is through the roof thinking Lowes installation will somehow go wrong,(no he won't install and we don't know anyone to do it), though all the private floor companies I visit subcontract their installers too. So we won't know who we were getting there either. Any thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2020, 09:17 AM

2,653 posts, read 2,283,624 times
Don't worry too much about this. This is more labor intensive and less skill intensive, and I am sure they have done it a thousand times before you. When you say "molding", I presume you mean they will install a shoe molding piece and not the baseboard piece that is likely there already. That's not difficult to do either. When they're done, just check the angle cuts on the shoe molding component to make sure they did it as close as possible. If one area where I see some cheapness occur is when they don't really measure correctly and/or check the angle of the corner cut and set the miter saw correctly. They will assume each corner is a perfect 90 degrees when in fact it may be 85 degrees or 95 degrees and try to hide it with too much putty. This is especially true on outside cuts where one wall connects to another to lead to another room area. Just watch that part, and you should be fine.

Old 06-03-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Don't worry too much about this. This is more labor intensive and less skill intensive, and I am sure they have done it a thousand times before you. When you say "molding", I presume you mean they will install a shoe molding piece and not the baseboard piece that is likely there already. That's not difficult to do either. When they're done, just check the angle cuts on the shoe molding component to make sure they did it as close as possible. If one area where I see some cheapness occur is when they don't really measure correctly and/or check the angle of the corner cut and set the miter saw correctly. They will assume each corner is a perfect 90 degrees when in fact it may be 85 degrees or 95 degrees and try to hide it with too much putty. This is especially true on outside cuts where one wall connects to another to lead to another room area. Just watch that part, and you should be fine.
No, I'm going to replace all the base boards, mine are shot, and most likely a shoe molding around it.

Old 06-04-2020, 06:45 AM

1,986 posts, read 1,032,581 times
You will be fine. If there is a problem Lowes will make sure its fixed. I had them install in a rental home and I was very satisfied with their work.

Old 06-04-2020, 10:33 AM

2,067 posts, read 850,371 times
We replaced the carpet in this house with pergo flooring from Lowe’s. They had a deal going on, if you bought the pergo, installation was free. The two guys who came here, did a super fast and professional job. I’d use Lowe’s again.

Old 06-05-2020, 08:24 AM
Status: "Tell your loved ones you love them." (set 5 days ago)

54,474 posts, read 42,626,775 times
Just be sure you check other flooring places around town, if you are going with Lowes because they're cheaper. Or you think they are.

We had a terrible experience with Lowes a few years ago. Ordered flooring, it came in, and then the subcontractor just would never show up. Over and over again, he "rescheduled." Finally, we found the same flooring elsewhere and overall, it was less expensive for them to do it than Lowes. They ordered it, it came in in three days, they delivered it the next day for it to sit in our house to acclimate (it was wood flooring) and then within less than a week of ordering, we had new flooring in our house, for less than we would have had to pay Lowes.

They weren't happy about that special order going back but I was sick of their crap at that point. We got a full refund but it wasn't without some hellraising on my part.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Just be sure you check other flooring places around town, if you are going with Lowes because they're cheaper. Or you think they are.

We had a terrible experience with Lowes a few years ago. Ordered flooring, it came in, and then the subcontractor just would never show up. Over and over again, he "rescheduled." Finally, we found the same flooring elsewhere and overall, it was less expensive for them to do it than Lowes. They ordered it, it came in in three days, they delivered it the next day for it to sit in our house to acclimate (it was wood flooring) and then within less than a week of ordering, we had new flooring in our house, for less than we would have had to pay Lowes.

They weren't happy about that special order going back but I was sick of their crap at that point. We got a full refund but it wasn't without some hellraising on my part.
I checked around with 3 other privately owned places. My husband works at Lowes part time and is more enticed by the price and his employee discount, but I'm worried about the quality of work. We buy all our appliances, tiles etc from them. But we hired a professional tile installer not from lowes to install. I actually looked into the smartcore product some more, and long term I don't think it will hold up. Not to mention the entire project is paid upfront. We went with the cheapest person to install our ceiling fans, and to put it nicely my ceilings now look like crap and we have to have them repainted within the next few months. So I'm overly cautious with going with lowes considering the big price difference. I'm almost certain we are going to go with the middle estimate we got from a smaller owned flooring store. 1k more, but we don't pay the balance until the floor is complete and we are happy and they have stellar reviews.

Old 06-06-2020, 08:05 AM

2,067 posts, read 850,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

That is a bad experience, but like most stores, service can vary. You got stuck with a flaky subcontractor. In this Lowe’s, I had a coordinator who set up a time for the guys to do the install and they showed up on time and did a very nice job. He also called after the job was done to find out how everything went. It sounds as though it was just you and the subcontractor, with no one to make the process easier.

I agree with you that flooring can be cheaper than Lowe’s if you shop around. My favorite floor store is Floor & Decor, they have a huge selection and great deals. I went with Lowe’s because of the free installation deal they offered. I’d gotten quotes that were insanely high for doing a floor install, so paying a little more for flooring with Lowe’s was worth it, since the install was free, otherwise the price would have doubled.

Old 06-07-2020, 10:10 PM
Status: "Tell your loved ones you love them." (set 5 days ago)

54,474 posts, read 42,626,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz22 View Post
That is a bad experience, but like most stores, service can vary. You got stuck with a flaky subcontractor. In this Lowe’s, I had a coordinator who set up a time for the guys to do the install and they showed up on time and did a very nice job. He also called after the job was done to find out how everything went. It sounds as though it was just you and the subcontractor, with no one to make the process easier.

I agree with you that flooring can be cheaper than Lowe’s if you shop around. My favorite floor store is Floor & Decor, they have a huge selection and great deals. I went with Lowe’s because of the free installation deal they offered. I’d gotten quotes that were insanely high for doing a floor install, so paying a little more for flooring with Lowe’s was worth it, since the install was free, otherwise the price would have doubled.
I forgot to mention - we had to pay for it all up front. WHAT? Flooring, installation, everything. Then when we said we felt uncomfortable paying for labor that wasn't done yet, the manager assured is he would be there for us anytime, for any concerns. Then he wouldn't take our calls after the subcontractor just didn't show up several times.

I do not generally pay for labor till the job is done, though of course I am willing to pay for materials. But what? Pay for the whole thing up front? No.

Wow, they didn't want ti give us our money back, but they did. Every penny of it. I had to ride that mule to get it but I did.

TERRIBLE experience! With Lowes AND with the subcontractor!

Old 06-07-2020, 10:28 PM

64,714 posts, read 61,033,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
Yes, I know they subcontract. We already know the company name they are using, it's in my area. But I can't find much info on them. One good, one bad review. We are getting carpets ripped out, getting SmartCore Pro Vinly Plank instilled, and new molding. The price, including an employee discount we got is great. The other estimates we got ranged from the 5 k mark for Cortec to around 4,100 for MoHawk SolidTeach and Rigid Core (not sure who makes it). We plan to being here another 5-7 years, so while we want the floor to hold up, didn't want to go super high end. Lowes estimate is around 1k less then our middle estimate. It's a 20 mill wear layer but doesn't have anywhere near a good warranty as the MoHawks I looked at in the private floor store. We did all the scratch tests we found on youtube on the SmartCore and it held up fine

DH 100% wants to go with Lowes bc of the price and that this isn't our forever home. My anxiety is through the roof thinking Lowes installation will somehow go wrong,(no he won't install and we don't know anyone to do it), though all the private floor companies I visit subcontract their installers too. So we won't know who we were getting there either. Any thoughts?
I had VPF I bought from Lowe's installed. I actually knew the subcontractor first. His MIL is a neighbor. He is the one who suggested SmartCore from Lowe's, because that's the flooring he thinks is the best for over a concrete slab (I live in a condo). He is one of the Lowe's subs, but I bought the flooring from Lowe's when they had a sale going on and had it delivered, and then the person I knew came over and installed it.

I'm very happy with the flooring.

Incidentally, I had them scheduled to come to the house for the installation, and then my governor put the shelter-in-place rules into effect for the day before. I called, and they said, "Oh, no, we are still coming. The man and his son did the installation, and I pretty much just stayed in my bedroom most of the day while they did the work.

Bonus: They are Brazilian, and they brought a box and put music on while they worked. I was completely enthralled to hear Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight" sung in Portuguese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating