Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 06:36 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times

Advertisements

The safest color to go with is plain old bright white. White has been in style since like what, the 1930's? I have all black appliances in my kitchen and I hate them, the dust shows very bad (and I keep a clean house). If I could do it over again I would go with white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 04:35 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
ohh goodie, people unhappy with the lifetime granite countertops will be heaving them out because a magazine said its soooo yestorday. I'll be sure purchase one at a garage sale for 100 bucks!

Old 05-04-2008, 09:02 AM

3,020 posts, read 25,733,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBB View Post
I personally have a "granite fatigue". There is simply too much granite around (in U.S. kitchens) and it is installed everywhere, regardless whether it goes with the style of the house or not.

Maybe the next trend will be to hide appliance, like we do in modern European kitchens? You only see cooktop, hood and walloven/s, the rest is fully integrated and invisible.
Yes, this is exactly what I have been looking for, everything invisible. I get up go stumble to the kitchen for a bowl of oatmeal and find nothing.

Just granite and nothing.

Who will care, I am fully integrated in Style, able to Interface and Liaison with nothing. If I can find a door maybe go commune with Nature in my slippers.

Where the Hell is the oatmeal???????????????

Old 05-07-2008, 04:21 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Like clothing fashions, my guess is that the next trendoid in kitchens will be whatever is dead opposite the current trend, therefore making current kitchens "obsolete" and making it impossible to NOT look dated.

I watch "House Hunters" way too much. When people are looking at a perfectly comfortable room and saying, "We'll need to update that," I don't get it. If it works and it's not very beat up, why change it? And where do people have all this money for renovations when they've just bought a house?

Maybe I've lived in the Boston area too long, where so much housing is beat up, and no one has a red cent left over after buying a house.

When I built my house in 2001, my builder offered to get granite remnants, because my kitchen was so small, it could be done. I realize, I like stone, I like granite- just not in a kitchen. Shiny, hard looking. I did look at blue granite ("blue bahia") and it was about three times more expensive than any other color (my usual unerring preference for the markup) and builder said the blue granite was often more brittle than other types.

I have a laminate called "blue denim." When it looks like hell, maybe I'll get some kind of not-shiny stone. Actually, I'd like poured concrete with color, but I think you need special framing.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:07 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Poured concrete is actually lighter than granite. If the framing is capable of carrying granite you could cast a concrete top. Check Taunton Books for How to do it stuff.

I happen to like laminate. Cheap and covers the plywood with something nearly industructable. In my kitchen this is usually covered with pots, pans, spices, oil bottles, microwave, toaster and the other stuff I cook with.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:29 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I love the color of my laminate.

The first time I saw a black refrigerator, all I could think of was "Darth Vader." I think they look awful. They lack... refrigerator-ness.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:36 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,782,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I love the color of my laminate.

The first time I saw a black refrigerator, all I could think of was "Darth Vader." I think they look awful. They lack... refrigerator-ness.
LOL I can just hear the tune for the cadillac commericals
...this isn't your DAD's refrigerator. Sleek, sexy, aerodynamic, turbo charged... refrigeratorness. (farfugnugen & tupperware extra, please use tupperware responsibly)

Old 05-09-2008, 10:49 AM

897 posts, read 2,824,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
The one thing with granite and stainless is that they are neutrals--most granite anyway. If you stay in the tan, brown, black family of granite they go with everything. You can change wall color and floor color to easily upgrade the look. In the 80's and early 90's everything was about color-hunter green counters, tile or vinyl with color, etc. That ages a room fast. In the 70's when you had harvest gold or avocado green appliances, again, aged a room quickly.

Even today if you put in a blue granite, your kitchen will age much faster then if you put in a tan or black.
Excellent point. Granite and stainless steel are classic, durable materials.
Choosing neutrals for the core of any room is the smart thing to do. Accessorize with color and trends.

While relocating/moving last summer, I saw a lot of homes. One of them had a kitchen that was recently remodeled using stainless appliances, walnut cabinets & blue-toned granite - very striking. Although it was pretty and a current color palete - all I could think of is how I would tire of that kitchen really quick. I thought it was a mistake to put such trendy colors in a home you were planning on selling. Last time I checked I think that home had been pulled off the market.

Always think long term when picking your expensive, hard home items.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:20 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
I think it's on its way out of style within the next few years. Not that it'll be a negative, just not something that seemingly everyone wants to install. This is something I've been meaning to ask my aunt about; she's an interior designer in Colorado. Sometime over the next year I'll be redoing a kitchen. The 16-year old house I'm buying has white cabinets, a green laminate countertop and black appliances so it's starting to show its age.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:35 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Personally I don't care for the cheaper stailess appliances. The top commercial types look good in a commercial type kitchne tho. Not my pick personally tho. granite seesm to be very common now days and is pretty reasonable compared to years ago ;so no doubt something else will come along like marble or soap stone.I am already seeing refigerators that are built in to match the cabnets. I also think unless they are very expensive cherry cabinets they look kind of cheap in many new houses I have seen. Rasied panel doors will always be popular as will true custom cabinets.A friend who does custom kitchen cabinats says that the industrial look is losing popularity and more traditional kitchens are becoming polualr again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating