Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 10:51 AM

17,624 posts, read 17,682,949 times

Advertisements

Our home has some windows that are long in height to almost floor length (front) and others that are long in length but short on height. In fact they’re almost the same measurements with some long horizontally and some long vertically. However all the curtains we have are nearly floor length. We’re debating on installing window length curtains for those windows that are long horizontally (bedrooms and dinning room). Any suggestions and considerations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2020, 11:35 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
If there will be furniture under the window, I would use window length. otherwise, I prefer floor length. It does a better job of keeping out light and drafts. OTOH if you have shades as well as curtains, then it may just come down to what you think looks better with your decor. In part, it depends on how you use your curtains (usually closed or usually open)

Keep in mind shorter curtains are a lot cheaper to clean and easier to remove and rehang.

We have tight fitting interior shutters in our house. I am not sure why they stopped using those. They are great IMO. Perhaps they were intended to help stop arrows, but they are also great at keeping light and drafts out.

Old 09-15-2020, 04:00 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Keep the length consistent in the same room or living space. That’s my advice.

But there is a trend away from drapes. Consider using plantation shutters or shades, or even blinds, instead of drapes. Go online and look at pics of rooms using shade or shutters for ideas.

Also, you look at rooms with drapes.

Old 09-16-2020, 10:35 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,433,072 times
I prefer floor length. To me shorter ones look like a kid wearing pants he has grown too tall for.

Old 09-16-2020, 06:24 PM

3,375 posts, read 1,970,783 times
If you have male dogs, floor length curtains/drapes can sometimes be irresistible

Regardless of ill mannered dogs, I prefer lightweight curtains that fall several inches below the windowsill. With that length, wall space opens up for maybe a bench below the window or just some open space that gives the room a more airy look.

Old 09-17-2020, 12:45 AM

566 posts, read 593,178 times
Be consistant with all one length. A room will appear chopped up otherwise.

Old 09-17-2020, 05:28 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times
I have dogs and i also foster so i have window length because the dogs can brush up against them if you have floor length and get their fur everywhere on the bottom half . Also a post above brought up a good point if you have ill mannered dogs( which I don't take in or allow )in your home they will hike their leg on the bottom half of the curtain . I cannot stress window length if you have dogs in your home .

Old 09-17-2020, 07:36 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
In my lace days (90s, back in the apartment), I had curtains and they did go to the floor. As said, such were my lace days and more for how they made me feel than any measure of practicality. Then, I only had one cat and she didn't bother the curtains too much.....but that one night when I put out the lace tablecloth, however.......

These days, if I did do curtains, it would depend on the room. Here in the den, they would be the length of the window for there is too much going on to sacrifice potential window box space. In the bedroom, in one theory, they would be floor length so to totally cut out the light when I have to sleep in the sunbeam or to live my fantasies as the Mistress of the Lands in Renaissance Italy. On the other hand, though, it might be wiser to have them window length since the bedroom has even more potential for window boxes. The dance room would almost certainly be floor length since floor space in there is too precious to even think of window boxes.

Speaking of dance rooms, just an item to put in the back the mind. There are times, especially in these pandemic times, when I have to do a video of a dance and I have become very conscious of my art work that may appear in the video. I avoid that entirely by shooting such things on my porch but I have noticed other dancers have curtains to cover their wall mirrors. Just saying that the use of curtains for one thing may influence how we use them for other things.

Finally, these days, I don't do curtains on my windows. With the surrounding forest, I am not really worried about people looking in. For those rooms where I might be concerned, I use floor screens.

Old 09-17-2020, 06:55 PM

5,134 posts, read 4,486,386 times
I prefer floor length. It looks more elegant.

Old 09-18-2020, 06:37 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Glad someone asked about this since I wanted to do something w/my windows. I have cream colored horizontal wood blinds inside the window frame. The window frame itself is cream colored with a sill. With winter coming, I thought layering a curtain over the window would be an option (I've never had curtains on these windows and would only do the bedroom.)
BUT....the windows are in the middle of the wall. 37 1/2 inches to the floor and the sill extends 3 1/2 inches out. The top of the frame is 13 inches from the ceiling
Everything I googled about window treatments said NOT to do window size curtains...that they should extend above and below the window, either to "just to the ground" or "puddle"- which I don't want for cleaning reasons - but also, our bed, because of the way the windows are positioned, is between two of the windows and the frame/sill is like 8 inches into the width of the bed at the head of the bed. Seems like long curtains would then have to be partially behind our bed. (we don't have a headboard because of the windows).
OTOH maybe I should just leave the windows as they are......I have 'green' around me in the way of trees and that is what I mostly see. I just thought it might be 'cozy' and warm it up to put some curtains up. I very much like the look of plain blinds inside the frame and there's nothing I have to take down and wash (like curtains).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating