Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 06:08 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,709,704 times

Advertisements

Is anyone aware of one?
I think I've seen advertised on tv, but would like opinions and recommendations.
It is cotton on cotton. It is a curtain, will not entail a lot of pulling. Gentle pulling.

Thank you.

(I'm trying to avoid sewing.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2021, 08:00 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Iron-on adhesive. Works a treat. Every fabric store has it, and I often see it in grocery stores. A brand name used to be something like "Stitchery Witchery".

Go to the local fabric store and ask advice.

Old 02-26-2021, 08:28 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,966,962 times
I've used it for many years but only for things that I knew I would eventually sew together by conventional measures.

For example, I would use it to hem a pair of pants quickly and see how I liked the length. After a few washings, the adhesive would start to deteriorate so if I liked that particular length I would hem the pants easily since they were already "pinned" by the adhesive. The adhesive also gave me the option of starting from scratch if the length didn't seem exactly right.

I've also used the stuff on curtain hems - turning 84" curtains into 63" in length. Curtains aren't washed as often as pants so the adhesive could last a much longer time but eventually I would wind up doing a hand sewn hem stitch, often while the curtains were hanging up. The adhesive is a great tool but it's not really a substitute for sewing.

Old 02-26-2021, 08:31 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
https://www.joann.com/dritz-stitch-w...s/1922830.html

Old 02-26-2021, 09:23 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I've used it for many years but only for things that I knew I would eventually sew together by conventional measures.

For example, I would use it to hem a pair of pants quickly and see how I liked the length. After a few washings, the adhesive would start to deteriorate so if I liked that particular length I would hem the pants easily since they were already "pinned" by the adhesive. The adhesive also gave me the option of starting from scratch if the length didn't seem exactly right.

I've also used the stuff on curtain hems - turning 84" curtains into 63" in length. Curtains aren't washed as often as pants so the adhesive could last a much longer time but eventually I would wind up doing a hand sewn hem stitch, often while the curtains were hanging up. The adhesive is a great tool but it's not really a substitute for sewing.
Sure is easier to hand sew a hem on a curtain when it's all hanging up than rumpled on the dining room table.

Old 02-26-2021, 12:58 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
There is also fabric adhesive spray. Google that phrase. Options appear in the results. I can't remember why I used it years ago, but I did. It worked.

Old 02-26-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
There is also fabric adhesive spray. Google that phrase. Options appear in the results. I can't remember why I used it years ago, but I did. It worked.
And liquid too - looks kind of like Elmer's Glue. I've only used the iron on adhesive tape.

Old 02-26-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Sure is easier to hand sew a hem on a curtain when it's all hanging up than rumpled on the dining room table.
It's definitely easier when the adhesive already holds the fabric together but I've also hemmed curtains while they were on the rod but the hem was just pinned in place (with straight pins) and the fabric would gap open between the pins. Hemming isn't my favorite sewing activity.

Old 02-27-2021, 07:53 AM

yeah, good point.
I want something to use on curtains.

I have blinds, and a room darkening drape, and I have half-curtains on the bottom. Bec. I am on the first floor. And I like as much light as possible.

There is a lamp outside of the apt which makes the bedroom not completely dark. I haven't been able to decide if the small amount of light coming in really disturbs my sleep, if it warrants re-doing the whole arrangement.

I realized that at night, when the drapes are closed, it is only the top half of the window that allows a little light in. so I had the idea-- looking for a quick solution, even if temporary - of attaching a half curtain to the back of the top half of the drape.

That is what I want the fastener for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post

Old 02-27-2021, 07:54 AM

this looks great. Have you used it? It is inexpensive, I will try it..

thx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating