Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2020, 11:51 AM

659 posts, read 468,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I like your wall color but lightening up the paint is one way to brighten your space. Replacing or painting dark furniture with lighter will also go a long way. I like the whitewashed wood look but that isn't for everyone.
Changing to lighter colored blinds as well....or you could do the honeycomb up/down style that diffuses light into the room. If all you have is the TV in your larger piece, then I agree with you that you could scale that down by replacing it with a piece that is less deep, but you could do one of those narrow console type pieces that has some storage in it for you and have the TV just sit on top. Personally, though, I prefer the TV hidden (in a cabinet in my upstairs room). I think it looks neater. In the 'TV room' downstairs it sits on top of a console.
Acrylic pieces do take up much less space visually. CB2, West Elm and many other places have them...you could shop around.
If the sofa is non-negotiable, I also think turning it so the larger section faces the window. Fewer pillows for a 'cleaner' look.
Perhaps do a smaller ottoman, too or lighten the color of the legs.
You are on the right track. I hope you 'reveal' after you're done!!

P.S. something I always read about small rooms is to keep everything a light color but have 'pops' of accent color here and there....like bright color pillows on the couch, or a folded throw. Your sofa looks neutral enough.
Yea thinking of light gray walls. Funny because I always liked my blinds but every time my mom would come by she would comment on how she hates them. Now I am starting to see they are too dark. Going to look in to some white wooden ones to lighten up the room. Going to get a narrow console tv and possibly hang the tv too. Also getting rid of that black side table and painting over couch. Will get some lighter colored art work with some color. Thanks !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2020, 02:17 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,039,944 times
OP, just be aware you might have a hard time with light gray walls with that existing floor. You will have competing tones.

Old 11-08-2020, 06:42 PM

9,347 posts, read 5,100,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillygirl123 View Post
Yea thinking of light gray walls. Funny because I always liked my blinds but every time my mom would come by she would comment on how she hates them. Now I am starting to see they are too dark. Going to look in to some white wooden ones to lighten up the room. Going to get a narrow console tv and possibly hang the tv too. Also getting rid of that black side table and painting over couch. Will get some lighter colored art work with some color. Thanks !!
Years ago I got some faux wood blinds at JC Penney. They were on sale. But they are still here. They are inside the window frame and still look good. If I could afford the honeycombs, I'd do them because I like the option that you can lower them from the top down.
I agree with the prior comment about gray walls with your floor. Not being the same 'tone' might be an issue. Don't forget to let us see your 'reveal.'

Old 11-08-2020, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
OP, just be aware you might have a hard time with light gray walls with that existing floor. You will have competing tones.
Uh oh I didn’t think of this. If I do really light like almost white do you think I can get away with it ? I guess what are my other options ? Just do like beige ?

Old 11-08-2020, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Years ago I got some faux wood blinds at JC Penney. They were on sale. But they are still here. They are inside the window frame and still look good. If I could afford the honeycombs, I'd do them because I like the option that you can lower them from the top down.
I agree with the prior comment about gray walls with your floor. Not being the same 'tone' might be an issue. Don't forget to let us see your 'reveal.'
Need to look in to the blinds. Have no idea pricing on wood versus faux wood.

Didn’t think about the color contrast. Just did some research and came upon the color Greige. That may be an option to complement the orangish floors ?

Old 11-08-2020, 09:02 PM

61,428 posts, read 86,506,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfomd129 View Post
I'm usually all for drapes, especially sheers but in this case I think wooden blinds or shutters (if you want to splurge) would be best. Drapes will add a layer on the walls that will take up space or the illusion of space. .
I thought it would be OK to add sheers and light drapes on the small wall, and that layer would visually make the room look less long and narrow.
Wide faux blinds are fine too, but the window still needs a finishing touch around the frame.

Old 11-09-2020, 07:00 AM

8,721 posts, read 4,991,408 times
Once that entertainment center, is gone, I think you will see a big difference. Walls need to be white, or gray IMO.

Old 11-09-2020, 07:18 AM

3,342 posts, read 1,928,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I thought it would be OK to add sheers and light drapes on the small wall, and that layer would visually make the room look less long and narrow.
Wide faux blinds are fine too, but the window still needs a finishing touch around the frame.
I know what you mean about having a finishing touch on a window with just blinds. When we moved into our 'new to us' house the previous owner had just blinds on a couple of small windows. Ordinarily I would have put curtains up to finish the window but these particular blinds were wide woods with a nice big header, or valance, so they looked fine without anything else. Eventually (four months later) I did put up sheers over them - old habits die hard - but they really looked good without the sheers because of the nice big header and thick wooden slats.

Roman shades would be another way to go for the OP's room.

Old 11-09-2020, 08:41 AM

3,342 posts, read 1,928,410 times
Quote:
Need to look in to the blinds. Have no idea pricing on wood versus faux wood.

Didn’t think about the color contrast. Just did some research and came upon the color Greige. That may be an option to complement the orangish floors ?
Greige is all the rage now! Just keep it on the light end.

Having just gone through the process of choosing the paint color for our living area, I'd definitely recommend trying out samples in the room before you settle on any color. The lighting makes a huge difference in how the color appears on the walls.

Old 11-10-2020, 02:21 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,039,944 times
Quote:
Uh oh I didn’t think of this. If I do really light like almost white do you think I can get away with it ? I guess what are my other options ? Just do like beige ?
IME, white paint needs A LOT of natural light in order to look good.

White paint without a lot of light can look dingy. From your photos, I can’t tell if you have enough windows to
make white work. This is why sometimes apartments painted white look terrible.

If you are set on gray, you need a warm gray, with brown undertones, not a cool gray with blue undertones.
Get some paint chip cards and put them on top of a sheet of white paper, and the undertones should start to look more obvious.

If this were my home, I would approach this differently. I would paint the walls a dark rich color, like chocolate brown. The I would use all white and mirrored furniture pieces to pop off the dark wall color. A small space can often benefit from dark paint because the color makes the walls visually recede. It is counterintuitive but it works.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a3/1c...9f187f47d0.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/82/61...aed332b4a7.jpg

https://www.google.com/amp/s/michael...r%3fformat=amp

A deep dark gray or navy could also look great.

Also I think you are going to put money into the blinds when the blinds are not the problem. Everything in that room is the same height. You need to stagger the height of things. You need to hang curtains almost to the ceiling and have them hit the floor. IKEA has inexpensive linen panels that can be hung on an inexpensive rod and look amazing. You can get a steel rod from Home Depot for next to nothing, spray paint it, and add double width curtains and it will look better than the blinds.

Last edited by calgirlinnc; 11-10-2020 at 02:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating