Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 08:40 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,407,323 times

Advertisements

Christeen, I had my cellulars installed last week and have come across a huge problem with them. I ordered Red Pepper from Levolor and it turned my entire bonus room hot pink!!!! I'm talking a full out disco if I just hang the mirrored ball up. Then the Mocha color is completely white during the day. You can't even tell its brown until nighttime due to the light coming through. Whats the point in that?? There's no darkening of the room at all. My paper shades were much better. I'm going back and forth with Levolor on this matter. I had to now order the blackout shades which Im not thrilled about because then those two rooms will be like caves which is completely useless and stupid. If you want me to send you some pics, you can DM me with your email.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 05:59 PM

380 posts, read 2,350,828 times
Aack! Omg, sorry about the crazy colors you're getting in your house! And so much money too. I'd think the person who came w/ color swatches and even the catalog descriptions should note how the colors will change w/ sunlight. Sorry to hear this. I hope they're able to fix it, though what a hassle . . . Ugh.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:02 PM

Here's the pictures of my useless blinds. These are supposed to be red and now my room is hot pink. Also, the last picture is suposed to be dark brown. They do not block any light out at all..

Old 07-17-2008, 06:53 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,786 times
Oh my goodness!!! Will HD do anything with you about them and the color?
I use to sell blinds and I always encouraged people to go with a neutral because blinds are an investment (I dont care what people say they are expensive). I saw in an earlier post that you got Levolor. Just from dealing with them in the past, please hold on to your receipt.
I love the bali/graber line of blinds (northern lights, tinted whites and garden retreat). The material is awesome and I sold those more than anything especially in the flax, biscuit and almost white (bali brand).
If I can think of anyway to help tone them down some, I will let you know. There has got to be something to help some.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:53 AM

Thanks ladybug but I've already been in contact with L and have sent them numerous pictures. All they told me is that "thats the way it is" I told them it was absolutely unacceptable and how can they honestly expect someone to deal with that???
SO when I went back to HD that day, I reordered the blackout's for the pink room and the bedroom. Let's see if they try to charge me more money because it ain't happening.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:23 AM

955 posts, read 3,647,836 times
yeah.. you HAVE to get room darkening or black out to darken rooms or block any light... other wise they are simply light filtering for basic privacy from the outside. LOVE my blinds though... (neutral colors - tans and browns with white blackouts in the bedrooms).

Old 07-20-2008, 10:07 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christeen View Post
Ok, I've only seen cellular shades online and in catalogs, but they look nice and seem to be well-received by the folks here. The only complaint I think I've read on this thread is that they might retain strong odors, which I imagine any cloth or cloth-like window coverings would do. Also the installation issues w/ HD (sierra & himain, did you get them fixed/installed ok?!).
OK, coming back to clear HD's name. I was actually quite surprised by the way they handled it. Pretty good, particularly for a big-box... They told me even before the appointment, they'd have them replaced if not fixed, even with an upgrade - cordless. The thing is that even though I seriously was considering getting cordless ones myself at first, I realized they wouldn't be practical for me.

The problem wasn't really in the blinds per se, but in the first installers not taking the time and putting enough effort into installing them properly. They need some fine tuning. It's ridiculous to even expect them to do a whole house in 1 1/2 hours and do it right... I still have some gaps, but they're due to the windows being crooked. One thing I'm not particularly happy with is the gap on top of all of them showing some of the cords. At the time of fixing them I heard that Levolor used to have some strip of sorts up there making it look better, but they decided to do away with it in order to save money and apparently are getting quite a few complaints about it now. That's why HD was afraid to have them replaced with the same type.

I love the top-down feature, though. It gives you privacy and still lets light in.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:16 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
Aack! Omg, sorry about the crazy colors you're getting in your house! And so much money too. I'd think the person who came w/ color swatches and even the catalog descriptions should note how the colors will change w/ sunlight. Sorry to hear this. I hope they're able to fix it, though what a hassle . . . Ugh.
It must be really hard to pick colors because the swatches are too small and attached to the books, so you can't take them to a lamp and figure what it'll look like for real. I was looking at other shades with bigger swatches in JC Penny and took them to a lamp. Would've never imagined otherwise how worthless they'd be...

My color choice was easy as I wanted them neutral. Got Levolor Sand. At night they show even more color than I wanted, but they still match the carpet and the tile. At first I thought I made a huge mistake by getting the blackouts in the master bedroom, but got used to them. They definitely show their color at all times because they don't filter any light. However, I'm only OK with them because I also have the top-down option, giving me light during the day. Otherwise I'd hate them.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Here's the pictures of my useless blinds. These are supposed to be red and now my room is hot pink. Also, the last picture is suposed to be dark brown. They do not block any light out at all..
Whoa! That is PINK! Have you sent them pics of the room w/ the windows open so you can show what color the room should look like? Sorry it's been such an ordeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
It must be really hard to pick colors because the swatches are too small and attached to the books, so you can't take them to a lamp and figure what it'll look like for real. I was looking at other shades with bigger swatches in JC Penny and took them to a lamp. Would've never imagined otherwise how worthless they'd be...

My color choice was easy as I wanted them neutral. Got Levolor Sand. At night they show even more color than I wanted, but they still match the carpet and the tile. At first I thought I made a huge mistake by getting the blackouts in the master bedroom, but got used to them. They definitely show their color at all times because they don't filter any light. However, I'm only OK with them because I also have the top-down option, giving me light during the day. Otherwise I'd hate them.
Hmm, so it sounds pretty hard to figure out the color you'll end up with if you can't put the samples up to natural light. I know the Smith & Noble site says they'll mail you swatches, maybe those would give a better idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
OK, coming back to clear HD's name. I was actually quite surprised by the way they handled it. Pretty good, particularly for a big-box... They told me even before the appointment, they'd have them replaced if not fixed, even with an upgrade - cordless. The thing is that even though I seriously was considering getting cordless ones myself at first, I realized they wouldn't be practical for me.

The problem wasn't really in the blinds per se, but in the first installers not taking the time and putting enough effort into installing them properly. They need some fine tuning. It's ridiculous to even expect them to do a whole house in 1 1/2 hours and do it right... I still have some gaps, but they're due to the windows being crooked. One thing I'm not particularly happy with is the gap on top of all of them showing some of the cords. At the time of fixing them I heard that Levolor used to have some strip of sorts up there making it look better, but they decided to do away with it in order to save money and apparently are getting quite a few complaints about it now. That's why HD was afraid to have them replaced with the same type.

I love the top-down feature, though. It gives you privacy and still lets light in.

Glad to hear HD fixed things. Sounds like the issues are more w/ Levolor than HD.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:
It looks like vacuuming is the cleaning method of choice. If so, how do you clean the back of the shade, ie, the side facing the window? Also, how do you keep the little honeycombs inside clean? When I look at the side views of these shades, looks like some dust, even bugs, can get inside (eg of views: Smith+Noble - Honeycomb Shades - Cellular Shades, Window Blinds & Coverings).

Do you all vaccum the back and insides of these shades as well?
Btw, still wondering about the vacuuming, especially inside the honeycombs. Thanks for all the info, everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating