Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 08:19 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times

Advertisements

OK, folks, I keep procrastinating and I've been living with temporary paper shades for quite a while now , so please help me out here. Have to do something soon!

I went to a store today, talked with somewhat knowledgeable person, and narrowed down the choices a bit. I like some of the cellular shades, but they look to me almost like they're disposable... How do you clean them and are you satisfied with the result? I'm particularly interested in your experience if you have lighter-color cellular shades. Also, do they provide enough privacy at night on their own? Looks like they should let some light in during the day...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2008, 09:49 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
I have them on most of the windows in my house... clean them with a vacuum. We are happy with the results, especially the room darkening units. Have been reasonably happy buying them from this vendor... Cellular Shades - Privacy Enhancing 1/2" , 3/4" and 3/8" Honeycomb Shades

Old 05-04-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I have them on most of the windows in my house... clean them with a vacuum. We are happy with the results, especially the room darkening units. Have been reasonably happy buying them from this vendor... Cellular Shades - Privacy Enhancing 1/2" , 3/4" and 3/8" Honeycomb Shades
Just vacuuming them? Are they light-colored? Granted, these in the stores have been touched by people a lot, but they looked dirtish... How long have you had them?

Thank you for the vendor suggestion. I don't think I'll go this route as I wouldn't trust myself to take correct measurements.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:53 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
I have light colored cellular shades in several windows and all we do is vacuum them as well. They have been there for about 12 years and look fine. There are several different levels of coverage you can get with the cellular shades. We have the medium ones in our kitchen. It is enough to block the direct sun but still lets some light through. I think you can see shadows outside if there are lights on inside. In our bedroom we have the light blocking kind and they let in no light from the outside nor can you see in from the outside.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I have light colored cellular shades in several windows and all we do is vacuum them as well. They have been there for about 12 years and look fine. There are several different levels of coverage you can get with the cellular shades. We have the medium ones in our kitchen. It is enough to block the direct sun but still lets some light through. I think you can see shadows outside if there are lights on inside. In our bedroom we have the light blocking kind and they let in no light from the outside nor can you see in from the outside.
Sounds good. Thank you very much, golfgal. Out of reps, but I'll owe you one.

There are so many things to consider and you can't really picture what they're gonna look like once installed and I just can't make a decision...

I'm really surprised you have them in the kitchen (and for a pretty long time) and they're fine. I would think the steam from cooking is kinda greasy and would be absorbed by the shades as well as the smell. Not that I cook that much... Strange both of you recommend vacuuming, but the lady I talked with in the store didn't mention it at all. When I asked her how you're supposed to clean them, she said spot cleaning with water and mild detergent. After I heard this, all I could picture was mess and stains...

Old 05-05-2008, 10:10 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
I will be putting cellular shades in my house as well. I'm doing mid coverage for living areas and then the darker for the bedrooms. You can get single, double, or triple thickness (honeycombs) and that will help with the light situation as well. I'm not sure about cleaning but I would figure a light vaccumming would do.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I'm not sure about cleaning but I would figure a light vaccumming would do.
Well, I like to be fairly sure about those things as I don't feel like changing stuff like this every few years.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:15 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,370,597 times
We installed cellular shades in our office - the one's that are blackout. It has been 8 years and they look like new - no wear - they get vacuumed every so often. I have the light filtering ones at home that provide privacy - they are great.

Like you, I waited and researched - made the right decision. You won't be disappointed.

Old 05-05-2008, 03:25 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,400,492 times
I did some research on line and many of the sites including Levolors say to vacuum with a brush attachment or use a feather duster. It also states to clean with water use a lukewarm sponge and lightly dab.

FYI, If you are looking to do something very soon regarding the shades, HD has Levolor brand on sale (15% off) till the 28th of this month and full house installation for only $89 till 6/4. Normally they charge $95 for three windows and then additional money per window after that.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
We installed cellular shades in our office - the one's that are blackout. It has been 8 years and they look like new - no wear - they get vacuumed every so often. I have the light filtering ones at home that provide privacy - they are great.

Like you, I waited and researched - made the right decision. You won't be disappointed.
Thank you for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating