Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2009, 09:59 AM

169 posts, read 1,489,182 times

Advertisements

i want to change the look of my sofa and love seat and put them in formal living room. i do not want to buy new sofa because these one are in perfect shape. i bought them 5 years back and now i am tired of same look. the cheapest option is to buy a slip cover. i am not sure how do they look in real life because pics in front of all these package looks perfect. does anyone use them? what all things i should keep in mind while purchasing them? here is the link of the slip cover i want to buy. please help.

Stretch Microfiber Suede 2-piece Sofa Slipcover from Overstock.com
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 01:16 AM

128 posts, read 1,070,599 times
lovely color you have chosen for your sofa slip cover. One should keep in mind to buy such products from a reputed supplier to avoid any kind of low quality product they sell. You could also check out your local market first if their outlets are there in your nearby area. Second is the quality of the products. read online about the fabric they have used manufacture. the price could be a little on the hogh side but you will get a good result and durability from it. so its worth it!

Jeanne

Old 04-13-2009, 03:43 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,592,135 times
I bought these two:

Bed Bath & Beyond - Stretch Pique Sage 2-Piece T-Cushion Loveseat Slipcover by Sure Fit®

Bed Bath & Beyond - Stretch Pique Sage 2-Piece T-Cushion Sofa Slipcover by Sure Fit®

The love seat cover fit quite well but the sofa one had extra material on the backside and it appeared not enough on the front. Each are two piece slipcovers which allow the cushions to be zipped into one piece and the other piece covers the frame. The area around the arms seems to have extra material and the bottom of the slipcover has elastic around it. These are the two areas that don't fit right for my couches. My couches have a skirt and the elastic on the slipcovers seems to fit a little too snug along the bottom. I love the material and they seem to be a worthwhile investment. I had limited color choices because I have T-cushion couches. Also I had to consider how welll it would withstand my dog.

Two piece slipcovers are better because they reduce the need to re-tuck the slipcover after someone stands up. If you know anyone who sews, perhaps they could tailor it for you in the future. I bought mine through Bed Bath & Beyond so I could use the 20% coupons. I'd recommend buying them locally that way you can quickly return them if they don't fit. Do you have a Bed, Bath & Beyond near you? You can even order online and return at the store if you need to. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
need advise on purchasing slip cover-loveseat.jpg   need advise on purchasing slip cover-couch-loveseat.jpg  

Old 04-14-2009, 05:07 PM

169 posts, read 1,489,182 times
i will check at bed bath & beyond.

i checked these pics and pic showed on the website. it seems these covers do not snug like upholstery. they do not look exactly the same as they advertise. correct me if i am wrong.

Old 04-19-2009, 08:29 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,643,687 times
The slipcover thing should work ok as long as your couch does not have the flap that comes down and covers the legs! the stretchy kind won't work on that. You can also check the JCPenney catalog online. they have slipcovers in a nice variety too!

Old 04-20-2009, 02:09 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,592,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusam View Post
i will check at bed bath & beyond.

i checked these pics and pic showed on the website. it seems these covers do not snug like upholstery. they do not look exactly the same as they advertise. correct me if i am wrong.
If you have the exact same style of sofa/loveseat as shown in their pictures, it will probably fit quite nicely. But not all couches are the same. That's why I posted that I have extra fabric around the arms of my couches and it fits too snug at the bottom because the cover has elastic around the bottom and I have a skirt on my couches.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:42 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
frankly most of the material used for those slip covers is not something that I like since it is knit to stretch and conform to couches that might vary a little in shape/size...I have found that it is difficult to get them to stay looking nice because when people sit/move on the furniture it becomes wrinkled...

good luck
you can have slipcovers made but frankly it is an expensive endevor even when you get pretty cheap material...

Old 04-27-2009, 11:39 PM

128 posts, read 1,070,599 times
You can always go for thicker material t o avoid wrinkling after sitting on it.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:59 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,485,070 times
what color is your current sofa? could the cushions be recovered to coordinate w/ the rest of the sofa and still change the look to something you would like?

Old 05-02-2009, 02:25 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,180,895 times
check overstock.com...I got some nice ones there for a sofa and loveseat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating