Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2021, 08:32 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
I’m a daily bather and our last house had been updated by a flipper and it had a standing bathtub (vs. built-in.) Beautifu. But. Hated. It. I need surround ledges to put shampoo bottles, soap, my beverage, my books, candles, etc..And I like to sit on the edge and swing my legs into the tub. So, when we recently moved we had the bathroom updated and I installed a comfort/nook bathtub. Love it. Since the bathroom should be a sanctuary, its important that comfort supersedes fashion.

Everyone is also tearing out the large half-wall vanity mirrors and replacing them with small framed mirrors over each sink.. I really like the light and space of the traditional large mirrors in bathrooms...so updating or not, I’m keeping ours!
I agree with the tub and mirror. I gutted both my bathrooms within the last 10 yrs and replace the old mirrors new ones of the same style. Everyone wanted me to put a framed mirror over the sink but I just couldn't see it working out for us. I get that it's a "look" but I remodel with nice looking practicality in mind more than trendy things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2021, 11:53 AM

2,478 posts, read 1,545,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Seems like what everyone is using these days. For us, it’s just decorative anyway, we never take baths.
Is that marble on the shower floor in hex? Or porcelain like the rest? Looks great.

Old 07-31-2021, 12:07 PM

2,478 posts, read 1,545,581 times
So we ordered a porcelain “Calacatta” for the walls and porcelain marfil for the floor outside the shower. Not as nice, both in appearance and in feel. But less maintenance and certainly less cost. I almost fell out of my chair when I got the quote for the genuine Calacatta Gold tile. When I researched it online prices prices were far less than every local place we looked.

Work begins in two weeks. Will post progress.

Old 07-31-2021, 01:44 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Is that marble on the shower floor in hex? Or porcelain like the rest? Looks great.
Thank you. I am really happy with the way it turned out. Even months later, it still feels great walking into the bathroom and admiring it. The hex tiles on the shower floor are marble.

<edit>. I just double checked with my wife. I am wrong. The hex tiles are porcelain, they just look like marble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
So we ordered a porcelain “Calacatta” for the walls and porcelain marfil for the floor outside the shower. Not as nice, both in appearance and in feel. But less maintenance and certainly less cost. I almost fell out of my chair when I got the quote for the genuine Calacatta Gold tile. When I researched it online prices prices were far less than every local place we looked.

Work begins in two weeks. Will post progress.
Right? Who knew porcelain could be so expensive? But then, who knew porcelain was so versatile? It seems like they can do anything with it.

Good luck. I'm sure it will come out great. Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

Old 03-25-2022, 05:23 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
I agree. We just remodeled our master bath and switched from marble to porcelain. In 14 years since we built the house, the marble in the bathroom has lost it's gloss and stained in areas. And personally, I think the porcelain looks a lot better than the marble ever looked, even when it was brand new. They are doing amazing things with porcelain these days.

Granted the marble was brown, which is a color we never really liked much in the first place. We just listened to the builder's designer at the time, which was a big mistake.

"]

And here is the 'after' with the porcelain. I'm not sure if you can tell from the picture, but it has so much texture to it.

That's a dream shower!

Old 03-25-2022, 09:27 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
That's a dream shower!
Thanks, we still love it as much as the very first day it was installed.

Old 03-27-2022, 06:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Seems like what everyone is using these days. For us, it’s just decorative anyway, we never take baths.
I take a bath in a huge soaker tub every single day of my life. So some people do take baths!

I love your bathroom by the way.

Old 03-29-2022, 07:37 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
I love the new bathroom, it is beyond pretty. I also like that you did drop the ceiling, to me, the bathroom did not need a vaulted ceiling, that was a good idea.

I don't use a tub either and I get your logic of why you had it installed. Still, I would have had it removed and put large potted plants in that area since the windows are there, or maybe a dresser of some sort, and would have looked pretty, and yet the connections still would have of been there in the event the house went up for sale. But, if your happy by having the tub there, then that's all that matters.

I do love all the materials and colors you chose for this bathroom project.

Old 03-29-2022, 10:39 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
I'm not enamored with marble.

We're redoing two bathrooms, and both are mostly porcelain, with ceramic subway tiles for one of the walls.

I don't like subway tiles but it seems to be the best choice when the floor has a pattern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating