Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 09:44 PM

197 posts, read 155,745 times

Advertisements

https://www.city-data.com/forum/atta...1&d=1623987830
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2021, 05:17 AM

7,682 posts, read 1,272,339 times
I'm sure Pinterest would have some good ideas....

https://tinyurl.com/4p992cf5

Old 06-18-2021, 08:29 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Treat yourselves to a beautiful piece of art. All you need is one, sizable piece that you both love. Hang and enjoy.

Stay away from wallpaper. That’s my advice.

Hang a single piece of art at roughly eye level. Many people hang things too high.

If the wall continues to stump you, hire a decorator a couple of hours to give you advice.

Coffee table. Keep it uncluttered. One nice thing is all you need. You can switch out something seasonally, if you wish. I like the decorative box idea. If your table is rectangular, get a curved or square box. If the table is round, get a square or rectangle box.

Old 06-18-2021, 10:32 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,912,913 times
Leave the coffee table alone. My friend has one with dozens of small framed photos on it. Useless as a coffee table and things fall over if you nudge it by accident.

Use it for coffee or snacks then clean it off when done.

Old 06-18-2021, 12:53 PM

3,377 posts, read 1,973,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Treat yourselves to a beautiful piece of art. All you need is one, sizable piece that you both love. Hang and enjoy.

Hang a single piece of art at roughly eye level. Many people hang things too high.

If the wall continues to stump you, hire a decorator a couple of hours to give you advice.

Coffee table. Keep it uncluttered. One nice thing is all you need. You can switch out something seasonally, if you wish. I like the decorative box idea. If your table is rectangular, get a curved or square box. If the table is round, get a square or rectangle box.

I've had a few different careers in my life and one of them required decorator/design training. Your post reminded me of one of the things we were taught about end tables, coffee tables etc and that was to mix up the shapes. If you have sharp geometric lines, add circular interest with the coffee/end tables. So I like your idea of putting a circular "box" on a rectangular table and the reverse.

Old 06-19-2021, 09:55 AM

197 posts, read 155,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post

Yes maybe a decorator is the way to go but not sure that cost
I wonder if anyone can do a virtual type thing where we take a picture of the wall space then add designs to see which is best , kinda like a sample of different ideas... hmmm

Old 06-22-2021, 12:23 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Why not use the services of a furniture store decorator? Places like Havertys and Ethan Allen have them. You are not obligated to buy a lot from them, just explain you are decorating gradually, and listen to their ideas.

Really, your home will be more of a reflection of you if you go slowly and build on it. Like Silibran said, buy a beautiful painting, a sofa (watch it’s sized right) and a couple of chairs. Then, take your time filling in with tables and lighting.

I have found that if I love something, it’s tends to look good with the other things I’ve chosen.

Old 06-22-2021, 03:25 PM

9,467 posts, read 5,233,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remirosie123 View Post
No, the wall runs the length of our bedroom , so no windows, I trued adding a pic, but keeps giving me error and won’t let me post it.
No built ins aren’t an option as the layout of the room won’t allow it, it would look really weird if we did that and switched things around , but good advice!
Thanks!
I also saw planks for walls at Lowe’s...not sure on those yet
Ah, so the big wall is the other side of your bedroom.
Do you have a sofa against the wall?
Have you considered a gallery wall? Framed photos, pictures, etc? Or a sculptural piece?
Do you know anyone who paints? How about a 'soft' mural?

Coffee tables - one trend is using a tray and gathering everything inside it. Or, on the really simply side, a beautiful coffee table book.

Do you have a style you like?

Old 07-05-2021, 02:02 PM

3,062 posts, read 2,040,914 times
remirosie

How big is your condo complex? If there are other units for sale you can go online at realtor.com or zillow and take a look at photos of how other people have decorated their wall and living room. You will find out what appeals to you and what turns you off. Gets you started thinking by seeing other similar rooms.

I tried wallpaper once on a similar condo wall, was not worth the expense when done. Paint would have provided almost the same look.

I'm a painter so have no trouble getting something on my walls lol. But art is a big leap if you haven't done it before, especially getting the right size for the space. Some galleries will let you purchase art and return it if it's not the right choice however, check around for that. What many people put on their LR wall is a conversation starter for visitors. People will ask questions, you can explain why you chose it.

Have fun decorating your new home!

Old 07-11-2021, 04:39 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
This article helped me stage my coffee table. It says, books, something tall, something oddball, and something living.

https://www.southernliving.com/home-...r-coffee-table
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating