Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 12:14 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times

Advertisements

I have three of them, two that are twins bought from a modern furniture store, one inherited from my grand aunt. Three....and they are getting over loaded.

So getting another one, in these very expensive days, is one option. Another one would be, I think, to take a shelf out of one of the twins, its shelf supports, and find a glass cutter, maybe at a Michaels, to make me some additional glass shelves, the right size post into the hole shelf supports, and increase the shelving in the twins to use the dead over head space.

So it seems to me.......but this is the first time, if I do, that I have done it. Have others had these modern problems and then, how did they solve it? Is finding someone to increase my glass shelving an impossible dream?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 05:42 PM

558 posts, read 434,795 times
Here's another option . . . cull your collection. I only have one small display piece so I have to do it regularly.

Old 07-23-2021, 08:32 AM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post
Here's another option . . . cull your collection. I only have one small display piece so I have to do it regularly.
That^^.

Less is more. And certainly better, when it comes to stuff sitting around the house!

Old 07-23-2021, 09:39 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,580,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSusana View Post

Ita. When I moved into my husband’s home..I added one small Jonathan Charles cabinet to display a few pieces in a space I thought looked empty. The only cabinet he had was a walnut drink cabinet...kind of a decorative mini bar you can close. It looks super nice.

Too much collecting of anything tho is out of style IMO. One small display cabinet is enough. I love entertainment & sideboards tho with minimal decor on top...like a couple of picture frames, a vase of flowers or a special piece picked up on vacation.

Old 07-23-2021, 08:08 PM

6,816 posts, read 11,545,464 times
You can get a glass shelf cut at a glass shop and I imagine it will be much cheaper than Michaels.

Old 07-24-2021, 05:16 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,603,624 times
Or consolidate into a larger piece. Glass china cabinets are hitting the secondhand market in droves b/c younger buyers don't want them and the current owners are going into assisted living, etc., and there's no room to move them. Look online at craigslist or FB marketplace and you can get them for free or almost free. You just need a couple of guys with a truck.

Old 07-24-2021, 05:54 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
Eliminate some dustables. Use them for target practice.

Old 07-24-2021, 07:28 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,107,382 times
So many posters here just don’t get it. The items in your curio cabinet are art. And they are behind glass to avoid being actual dust collectors. Add another glass shelf if it doesn’t look too crowded.

And I agree with whoever said don’t go to a craft store. You can get glass or acrylic cut to size while you wait at Lowe’s and maybe similar places. Or better yet a glass cutting business because you want a thicker piece of glass. Window glass might not be strong enough but ask about tempered glass.

Old 07-24-2021, 10:32 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,580,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
So many posters here just don’t get it. The items in your curio cabinet are art. And they are behind glass to avoid being actual dust collectors. Add another glass shelf if it doesn’t look too crowded.

And I agree with whoever said don’t go to a craft store. You can get glass or acrylic cut to size while you wait at Lowe’s and maybe similar places. Or better yet a glass cutting business because you want a thicker piece of glass. Window glass might not be strong enough but ask about tempered glass.

Tho real art pieces are statements on their own in a corner, on a wall...or on top of a sideboard by itself. Stuff in curio cabinets or on shelves from Lowe’s is usually just collectibles or knick knacks that nobody needs IMO..AND can look cluttered.

Old 07-24-2021, 02:54 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Tho real art pieces are statements on their own in a corner, on a wall...or on top of a sideboard by itself. Stuff in curio cabinets or on shelves from Lowe’s is usually just collectibles or knick knacks that nobody needs IMO..AND can look cluttered.
Plus, too many of them crammed together in the cabinet reduces the view (hence the enjoyment) of ALL of them! Adding shelves doesn't really address that. There comes a point for most collections when a purge of all but your most cherished or meaningful pieces is overdue. BTDT. I've collected several types of objects over the years (antique native baskets, fossils, working waterfowl decoys, Inuit ivory carving and ulus) but had to face downsizing before moving into a smaller house. Wouldn't be able to display them all and don't see the point of having them if they're just stored away in a box in a closet. Thought I'd never be able to sort/let anything go. Surprisingly, it wasn't that difficult. Once I got started and gave careful thought to each piece and why I valued it, I found it very positive. Now my reduced collections are made up of what is most meaningful and they can all be displayed; beauty enjoyed. Anyway, most the enjoyment of collecting really came from from the learning curve, the hunt and acquisition, the stories behind the pieces, not the physical possession. Like many other things in life, more isn't necessarily better. Sometimes its just more.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-24-2021 at 03:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating