Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 02:40 PM

14,313 posts, read 11,786,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I actually own a "cocktail ottoman" and I have a tray on it as well as a candle (but not a tall one like in the photos). And I light that candle, baby. But I also have occasional tables at the ends of my two sofas, and I have COASTERS out and by golly, put a drink down on anything in there, as long as you put it on a coaster! LOL

I totally get what you're saying, Diana. When I was working in real estate, and even before, when I was taking drafting classes or doing interior design, I always focused first on USAGE of a room. COMFORT. Comfort in sitting, eating or drinking, movement, you name it. If a room isn't comfortable and user friendly, then I do not like it. Nor do I want to live in chaos. Peace, comfort - to me a home is where we go to recharge.

Here's my cocktail ottoman and my living room:

Kathryn, I'm happy to say I do think I could walk in there, even holding a drink, and sit down without knocking something over. AND you have a few pillows, but not so many that you'd have to move them around to even sit down. Looks very comfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2022, 02:44 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,197,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Kathryn, I'm happy to say I do think I could walk in there, even holding a drink, and sit down without knocking something over. AND you have a few pillows, but not so many that you'd have to move them around to even sit down. Looks very comfortable.
Thank you so much!

I am super cognizant regarding walkways, distances to put drinks or whatever, where to put your feet, etc. I cannot STAND to be crowded up, or to be holding a drink with no place to put it!

Old 02-16-2022, 02:56 PM

7,213 posts, read 6,981,525 times
I always assume these sorts of things are to make the space look 'adult'. You hear the phrase 'define the space' and this is what you get. It's defined as a space for grown ups. Of course it's not realistic for the way people live. Just like fashion models that put on ridiculous 'clothes' that are more art pieces than functional outfits. It's a nice fiction, nothing more.

Personally, this is one of my pet peeves:

It's a fireplace. Stop putting candles/flowers/whatever in it.

Old 02-16-2022, 02:57 PM

^ Especially that many! Too many candles, or too many dolls, and it starts to look a little creepy and unsettling!

Old 02-16-2022, 03:08 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,197,371 times
Ugh, I hate all that crap in the fireplace.

Old 02-16-2022, 03:12 PM

41,718 posts, read 74,654,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I would assume that if there is a large tray the ottoman has been repurposed as a coffee table, and that it isn't intended to also be used as an ottoman. I don't know, I don't find it that odd.
Exactly. It's actually quite common for a large ottoman to double as a coffee table. A tray keeps any errant spills to a minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
It's a fireplace. Stop putting candles/flowers/whatever in it.
I like it. That many candles aren't terribly practical, but it's pretty.

My first apartment had a beautiful marble (non functioning) fireplace. I covered the opening with one of those giant woven fans from Pier 1 or World Bazaar, added pillar candles on the hearth, with some pieces of driftwood I picked up on the beach, and placed three or four floor pillows in front of the hearth. Oh, so romantic.

Old 02-16-2022, 03:31 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,498,883 times
Quote:

Particularly, things that are tall, unsteady, filled with water or coffee, or set on fire. Whenever I see this I think...these people obviously don't have children, pets, or even use this room or this ottoman for its intended purpose.

Quote:
But shouldn't the staging make people to think about living in the room?

Yes…BUT how is a tall vase or using the ottoman for a tray going to change that? Those are easy things to think around IMO. No house is going to be staged just like we would want it or live in it.

Staging is meant to show the home…not to look lived in & sloppy. AND it gives ppl decorating ideas for furniture placement & how open walkways will be. All the staging we saw when we were looking for our new home was about simplicity AND making you feel like you could move right in. But we still thought about how we would live in each home.

Not everybody has children or pets either….tho we did see a couple of homes that staged a nursery.^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

Want to talk about "bad staging"... let's talk about "virtual staging"!

Ita….AND why?

Old 02-16-2022, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Yes…BUT how is a tall vase or using the ottoman for a tray going to change that? Those are easy things to think around IMO. No house is going to be staged just like we would want it or live in it.

Staging is meant to show the home…not to look lived in & sloppy. AND it gives ppl decorating ideas for furniture placement & how open walkways will be. All the staging we saw when we were looking for our new home was about simplicity AND making you feel like you could move right in. But we still thought about how we would live in each home.

Not everybody has children or pets either….tho we did see a couple of homes that staged a nursery.^^

Most of these pictures were NOT taken from the MLS and are not Real Estate photos, per se. They're more for other kinds of marketing I've seen. IF they were staged for RE photos, it would be even WORSE to set up something as precarious as that first ottoman with all the pillars on it. You're just asking for things to get broken to let the public in there.

My argument is if staging is supposed to show the home and make it look inviting, it shouldn't look dangerous.

It distracts me to see pictures staged with precarious hazards.

Old 02-16-2022, 03:44 PM

15,947 posts, read 20,906,769 times
Quote:
Most of these pictures were NOT taken from the MLS and are not Real Estate photos, per se. They're more for other kinds of marketing I've seen. IF they were staged for RE photos, it would be even WORSE to set up something as precarious as that first ottoman with all the pillars on it. You're just asking for things to get broken to let the public in there.

My argument is if staging is supposed to show the home and make it look inviting, it shouldn't look dangerous.

It distracts me to see pictures staged with precarious hazards.
Maybe it doesn't look all that dangerous to some people. Pre-cat-in-my-life you probably would have found the coffee cup on the magazine (or book) ottoman in my house. Since it was just me it wasn't something I found precarious and I did it all the time, so that particular picture actually looks like my lifestyle.

Old 02-16-2022, 03:57 PM

17,403 posts, read 65,544,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Ita….AND why?

Why not!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating