Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 07:08 PM

11 posts, read 41,541 times

Advertisements

Hi
We are thinking about renting a place, which has the most hideous bathrooms. The rest of the house is fine! Minus the kitchen but I think I can get around that one....

Any ideas on how you could make this better, without spending a huge amount? There is another bathroom, but I'll save that for later.

Any help would be really appreciated.

btw, the sink in the bathroom is the one that doesn't match the tub...(just to make things even harder!)

L
Attached Thumbnails
Can this rental bathroom be made prettier?!-bathroom-up.jpg   Can this rental bathroom be made prettier?!-shower-up.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2010, 08:00 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
I'd put 2" white plantation (faux wood) blinds on the windows and paint the walls either cocoa brown or color match the tile trim color. I'd use brown, tan, white and rust towels and a nice fluffy white area bath rug. I'd replace the mirror if possible with a white framed one. I really don't think the bathroom is that bad.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:06 PM

107 posts, read 214,328 times
I would put up white shutters on the bottoms of the windows with no curtains and no valances if the property manager allows it. Also, I don't know if there are apartments across from yours where they can see it. Don't want any peeping toms. I agree about a white framed mirror and white towels.

For accessories white starfish dangling from the top of the windows like a valance and on the toilet tank you could put a copper or amber colored bowl/vase with a tall white orchid in it. You could also get a bath mat that has seashells on it to bring out the coral color of the tub.

You have a nice new vanity though and the bathroom looks spacious for a rental.

Old 12-23-2010, 09:19 PM

292 posts, read 1,244,361 times
Why did they get rid of the original sink? At least it coordinated and blended in with the tile. What bothers me more is that awful shower stall door.

I guess you could work on adding more white like the other posters have said. Maybe add a white shower curtain?

Is the tub really a coral color? It looks more like some indescribable almond/yellow/beige to me, but it's also a dark photo.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:54 PM

We were wondering about replacing the flooring with a whiteish vinyl (not bright white)? Not my favourite flooring by any means but we are only there for a few years. I like the ideas about the shutters, and noone can see in.

The tub itself is actually a yellowy, beigey mustard. Don't know how you would describe it. Then a coral accent, and a silver line below that!! How taste's have changed.......

I was wondering too about losing the door. Its horrible. I wonder if it could be cleaned up?

Old 12-24-2010, 04:26 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
Cute retro bathroom and I agree - too bad they replaced the sink with the new vanity. I'd give the room some punch and style by adding black (this will add to the retro feel and add a little drama). Since you have the white sink, etc., I would change the floor out to black and white self-adhesive square tiles (medium size squares), black towels (or big fluffy white towels topped with black hand-towels), a larger mirror with black frame and white shutters on the windows.

Or instead of the white shutters on the windows - do something a little less matchy/matchy and do dark matchstick blinds (Lowe's has them).

Take the shower door out if you can and replace with a chrome rod and a thick cotton quilted white spa style shower curtain -I've seen white spa shower curtains with black trim - that would be perfect.

This would be a good floor too but a little pricier and more work to install:

Last edited by Cattknap; 12-24-2010 at 05:35 AM..

Old 12-24-2010, 12:10 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Renting? And you care how the bathroom LOOKS?!? I suppose if it was dirty or appeared to have issues with non-functional fixtures then I could see the concern, but really why does it matter how your bathroom looks in a rental?

Old 12-24-2010, 12:42 PM

292 posts, read 1,244,361 times
That's an odd question, chet everett. It's the poster's home (or will be), so why shouldn't she care what it looks like? I've owned 3 homes in the past 15 years (and done various levels of bathroom redecorating/remodeling). Now I'm renting. Should I automatically not care what the bathroom looks like? I wouldn't spend money to do any permanent upgrades to someone else's bathroom without any incentive for myself, but there's certainly nothing wrong with seeking advice to spruce it up with some new linens or somesuch, especially when you're dealing with a "difficult" color.

Last edited by OrangeCoriander; 12-24-2010 at 12:52 PM..

Old 12-24-2010, 01:17 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
When tenants that wanted to "remodel" or "upgrade" some part of the place I was renting to them I almost always would have a little talk with 'em. If they wanted to spend their time and money making the place "prettier" no real problem...

Old 12-24-2010, 06:00 PM

Chet - I care how it looks because when paying 4000+ dollars for a rental per month, I think I can. Our life consists of moving place to place due to husband's job and I'm not going to live in horrible places just because of that. If I can do anything to make it look better, I'm going to try. Otherwise, the landlord loses out on our business. Its easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating