Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Wallpaper vs Paint: The Better Fit For Your Home Walls
Designer Wallpaper for Home Walls 0 0%
Paint 31 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 01:25 PM

830 posts, read 1,538,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
My parents had their dining room stenciled in the 1960's-1970's. It was lovely. When they got tired of it and styles changed, a swish of the paint brush removed any reminder of the stencil. Easy Peasy.
I love stenciling, both the historic styles and modern whole-wall stencils available today. You may need to sand a bit, though. Every time I have painted over stenciling it has telegraphed through even multiple coats of paint and primer. It depends on how and with what it was applied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2023, 01:33 PM

830 posts, read 1,538,189 times
I grew up in a house which was wallpapered (over what I guess one might call unfinished horse hair plaster walls from the late 1800s. I’m not sure if they were ever really intended to be left bare. They didn’t seem to have a finish skim coat.)

I helped repaper the whole house, in some rooms multiple times. It was a huge job, but we actually liked the wallpaper back then. We would go to a wallpaper store and look through books and I loved doing that! In the last couple decades, though, my parents have bit by bit removed all the paper, repaired walls (yes, in some cases the paper removed chunks of plaster) and painted.

I see a lot of houses online which have new wallpaper. Circa 2007 or so there were a lot of bold “modern” patterns, but now I see a lot of classic patterns which, frankly, are not much different from what I saw in the 1980s. And they actually appeal to me a lot and I think they would look great in my traditional-style house. However, I just cannot get past the work which would be involved to remove them down the line.

Old 01-03-2023, 01:38 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,747,799 times
My neighbor was the smartest one, when our families bought twin homes next door to each other over 60 years ago, he paneled, we painted, he saved money over the years not maintaining stained, painted walls like we had to!

Old 01-07-2023, 05:22 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wp169 View Post
My neighbor was the smartest one, when our families bought twin homes next door to each other over 60 years ago, he paneled, we painted, he saved money over the years not maintaining stained, painted walls like we had to!

Paneling is ugly.
Id rather paint every 5 years or when ever it needs it.

My parents had paneling up the tall hallways back in the 70's, it looked nice, I guess, everyone on the block was doing it.
But, it has long since been removed, so, while it served its purpose, nothing is forever.

I still think any paneling is ugly.
I do like wallpaper though.

Old 01-10-2023, 09:42 PM

5,829 posts, read 4,169,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Ah, the old wallpaper debate surfaces again lol. Seems like a thread on this comes around every few months. I actually don't think IMHO that there is a right or wrong answer, but just a question of what someone's preferences are and I can say this as someone who spent YEARS removing wall paper from the 60's and 70's in our first home. That first house of ours was wallpaper in every room, hall and bathroom. The only room that didn't have wallpaper had that fake wood paneling from 1965 which was also removed. It was a painful, long process to remove it and we actually put some wallpaper up again after we were done. We found a cool paper for the nursery that we loved and we also wallpapered the DR and the powder room. I don't think it hurt resale because when we eventually sold that house, it sold in 2 weeks at asking price.

Would I ever wallpaper an ENTIRE house - nope, but I think a wall here or there or a room here or there are ok as long as you know that when you eventually remove it, it will be a PITA. In our current house, we opted for wallpaper in the DR only and it's only the top 2/3rds of the wall (the bottom in wainscoting). If we ever change it out it won't really be that big of a deal. To each their own I suppose.
There's no debate going on. OP is a one-post shill clearly trying to disingenuously frame wallpaper in a positive light for some reason. My guess is he or she works for a wallpaper company. This is astroturfing at its finest.

We've just fed the troll for four pages.

Old 01-13-2023, 05:08 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
There's no debate going on. OP is a one-post shill clearly trying to disingenuously frame wallpaper in a positive light for some reason. My guess is he or she works for a wallpaper company. This is astroturfing at its finest.

We've just fed the troll for four pages.

yes we did.

eh, it happens...

but i noticed it also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating