Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 07:47 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,187,022 times

Advertisements

I think staging and neutral colors go a long way when it comes to selling a house, but then again it isn't everything. Any muted colors (or currently trendy color) rather than bright, bold colors can be a welcome sight. We sold a home a couple years ago in 9 days that had a master bedroom painted a deep burgundy on the upper 2/3 of the wall and dark beige on the lower 1/3, a nursery painted in wide alternating shades of pale yellow stripes, the kitchen, family room and hall were varying intensities of the same khaki green (Ralph Lauren burlap) and the living and dining rooms were a muted medium lavender color. I set up my camcorder to record peoples' opinions of the house and ALL 8 sets of people who went through told their realtor they loved the colors and said it looked like a model home. Others commented on how clean the house was including the baseboards. Didn't hurt to pay a cleaning company a few bucks to come in and clean literally from top to bottom. Decluttering, moving things into storage if needed, is a must. Removing personal collections and family photos helps too. Oh, everything off the countertops. No one wants to see a toaster, coffee maker, coffee grinder, toaster oven and a blender. Cuts down visually on the amount of counter space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2007, 04:23 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
IMO (as a potential buyer) fresh paint is VERY important! Neutral is best but does NOT mean beige and white only. Check out the Pottery Barn Colors by Benjamin Moore. They are very popular now and many are neutral but warm!!!

Also, check out www.devinecolor.com. Gretchen has WONDERFUL paint colors. Many that are considered "neutral" but just enough pop to make your house stand out. Devine paint is a Portland Product but I know you can get it in Chapel Hill.... maybe other locations. Ck the website.

Also check out http://www.yolocolorhouse.com
Again very much like Devine in that it is neutral but has pop. It's also earth friendly paint.

As a potential I buyer I want something that I can move into and not feel depressed about. Even if it's not the color I would have picked, I want something that looks fresh and good until I get the time to paint. I have kids and painting sometimes takes a year to get to. Is your home a family home? If so paint it now. The buyer won't want to have to deal w/ painting right away esp. w/ kids.

WALLPAPER: if you have it. Get rid of it. I can only speak for what I see on the West Coast, but NO ONE here uses wall paper any more. Unless it's the $800 a roll stuff designer or silk stuff, take it down.

ASK your REAL ESTATE AGENT what you should do to your house to get "top dollar". Even if you are a few months a way from listing call a few and ask them what you should change. Here in Portland, my agent has given me some good advice.... even down to the exact color to paint certain rooms. Your agent will know what buyers in your price range expect. My agent recommended things I did not think of. Like taking out the traditional kitchen island that matched the cabinets and putting in a free standing John Boos type Island. Thats the trend here. (However, as many tranditional islands in NC that I see, I don't think that is the trend there.)

College / Sport Memoribilia: pack it loving away for you next home. It's one of those personal items that doesn't move a house.

Carpet: if you have forest green or baby blue carpet rip it up and put something else in. Those are things buyers are going to knock money off the asking price for. Also, if you happen to have hardwoods under the carpet, rip out the carpet and hire someone to refinish them. Beautiful floors are so important. Floors and walls.... that's the first thing the buyer sees when they walk in. Not to mention it will make your house stand out online!!

Good luck!! I personally am enjoying our last minute fix ups of our house before we list it this spring. It's sort of my gift to the house. silly I know.

Old 01-06-2007, 05:32 PM

653 posts, read 2,986,218 times
PDXMom - You sound like a listing agent's dream! Not everyone is willing to put money into a house they are moving out of, but each of your points is excellent, and you will certainly reap the reward.
Best wishes!

Old 01-06-2007, 05:59 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,756,527 times
I've staged many homes for sale or rent in the area - spec homes, private homes and rentals.

Neutral colors are best - creamy white, not stark hospital white. Clear away the clutter, furnish sparingly, add touches of green & naturals.

I always put just enough in a new property so potential buyers can begin to visualize their touches - they just need something to get them imagining, to open their minds. Even if they do not like the dish or the throw pillow, it gets them thinking what they would put there.

An empty room is cold and echoing. Some furniture softens the space, especially in a bedroom, it makes it look cozy. As a rule, I do not do window treatments beyond antique white wood blinds. A clean, simple look is best, with the blinds for instant privacy.

A few silk potted plants throughout but not silk flowers. Some people like them, it reminds others of cheapy artificial flowers - better to stick to simple greenery. Nice pillar candles with a never lit wick (looks cleaner), a strategically placed decorative seashell (we're at the shore) gives a casual and serene look. A lovely bowl filled with *lemons, red apples or pomegranates, or beautiful pine cones would have the same effect. *Unlike a private home where you are there to make sure the fruit is fresh for a showing, if it's a spec home I find artificial fruit at the craft store to fill the bowls with the same effect.

I always place a brand new book with a beautiful cover on the coffee table, and a nice bottle of wine with two lovely wine glasses on the dining table or kitchen bar. Gets people thinking about living in the good life in this home. Remember that you want a potential buyer not only to look at the house, but visualize the pleasant life they would live in it.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:10 PM

266 posts, read 1,052,183 times
Default Many good comments...

but those suggesting variations in the area, price range, etc. are "right on the money", in more ways than one. The comment that if houses sold better vacant then model homes would be vacant" fails to consider that the models have top notch decorating with "ideal" items and no mundane daily living items. The truth is some of us do not have the furniture, etc. to make our homes look like models. Vacant can be better and it can help for buyers that need to move soon, so don't let it worry you if you must move before your house is sold. In this area resales compete with the vast numbers of new construction homes. To get top dollar and the fastest sale you need to think about what buyers see when they look at new construction, many of which are vacant, completed homes. I have many, many buyers who opt for new construction even after seeing some great resales. There are a number of reasons for that which you cannot control, but some you can. As others have said, neutral is best and in this area decorator colors are a risk unless you really know what the trends are for your type of home. Buyers may intend to paint, but few want to do it right away after a stressful move. You should NEVER use your furniture to hide scuffs and stains. Buyers will move things and look behind things. It is much better to replace the carpet and apply that fresh paint NOW. Also, EVERYTHING should be spotless and neat. That's more important than anything. I am not kidding. folks. Don't let your house sit on the market for weeks before deciding to go ahead and get everything repaired and spiffy. The first few weeks are the most critical and this is a buyer's market. Just do it!

Old 01-06-2007, 10:14 PM

553 posts, read 2,331,341 times
NY'er and NC Homefinder hit the nail on the head.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:12 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,252,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
IMO (as a potential buyer) fresh paint is VERY important! Neutral is best but does NOT mean beige and white only. Check out the Pottery Barn Colors by Benjamin Moore. They are very popular now and many are neutral but warm!!!

Also, check out www.devinecolor.com. Gretchen has WONDERFUL paint colors. Many that are considered "neutral" but just enough pop to make your house stand out. Devine paint is a Portland Product but I know you can get it in Chapel Hill.... maybe other locations. Ck the website.

Also check out http://www.yolocolorhouse.com
Again very much like Devine in that it is neutral but has pop. It's also earth friendly paint.

As a potential I buyer I want something that I can move into and not feel depressed about. Even if it's not the color I would have picked, I want something that looks fresh and good until I get the time to paint. I have kids and painting sometimes takes a year to get to. Is your home a family home? If so paint it now. The buyer won't want to have to deal w/ painting right away esp. w/ kids.

WALLPAPER: if you have it. Get rid of it. I can only speak for what I see on the West Coast, but NO ONE here uses wall paper any more. Unless it's the $800 a roll stuff designer or silk stuff, take it down.

ASK your REAL ESTATE AGENT what you should do to your house to get "top dollar". Even if you are a few months a way from listing call a few and ask them what you should change. Here in Portland, my agent has given me some good advice.... even down to the exact color to paint certain rooms. Your agent will know what buyers in your price range expect. My agent recommended things I did not think of. Like taking out the traditional kitchen island that matched the cabinets and putting in a free standing John Boos type Island. Thats the trend here. (However, as many tranditional islands in NC that I see, I don't think that is the trend there.)

College / Sport Memoribilia: pack it loving away for you next home. It's one of those personal items that doesn't move a house.

Carpet: if you have forest green or baby blue carpet rip it up and put something else in. Those are things buyers are going to knock money off the asking price for. Also, if you happen to have hardwoods under the carpet, rip out the carpet and hire someone to refinish them. Beautiful floors are so important. Floors and walls.... that's the first thing the buyer sees when they walk in. Not to mention it will make your house stand out online!!

Good luck!! I personally am enjoying our last minute fix ups of our house before we list it this spring. It's sort of my gift to the house. silly I know.
PDX Mom you hit the nail on the head for the Portland area. My house has been freshly painted using both DeVine and Benjamin Moore paints. DeVine Paints are so thick you may not need a dropcloth. I've found that Benjamin Moore's Start and Finish Primer covers dark colors completely if you want to repaint with lighter neutrals. I understand that Moore paints also has an environmentally friendly line. Also, we have a John Boos Stainless Steel Worktable in our kitchen -- no need for a center island. Only problem I don't want to leave it with house. And, of course, all hardwood refinished.

Old 01-07-2007, 03:04 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times
I had fresh flowers on the table by my entry while we were selling. I also had the "light classical" station playing, very quietly, for all open houses & showings. I also put out my nicer "fingertip" towels in the bath & lots of acent pillows on the bed.
I did not light candles, but I aired the house out & kept all the dog stuff(bed, bowl, etc.) and dog out for each showing to avoid the mess & inevitable barking. I sprayed Neutra air b/c I did nto want it to seem like I was covering up anything.
I had repainted some trim and the lingering smell of fresh paint was a big hit with the potential buyers, too!

Old 01-07-2007, 06:22 PM

1,118 posts, read 4,756,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
I had fresh flowers on the table by my entry while we were selling. I also had the "light classical" station playing, very quietly, for all open houses & showings. I also put out my nicer "fingertip" towels in the bath & lots of acent pillows on the bed.
I did not light candles, but I aired the house out & kept all the dog stuff(bed, bowl, etc.) and dog out for each showing to avoid the mess & inevitable barking. I sprayed Neutra air b/c I did nto want it to seem like I was covering up anything.
I had repainted some trim and the lingering smell of fresh paint was a big hit with the potential buyers, too!
Yes, that's all good. It's important to appeal to the senses of a potential buyer beyond just the visual.

When we have had our own homes for sale, I also play light classical music. All the blinds were opened wide, windows open just enough for a bit of fresh air, all lights on, ceiling fans on, fresh flowers on the dining table and the master bedroom dresser. All bath towels put away, laundry magically invisible, no dirty dishes + sinks and faucets shiny, closets cleared out by at least 50%.

I agree with PDXMom - no wallpaper! I have a border in the master bath right now, painters will be doing the entire house soon and will be removing it. We're prepping the house now to sell, so it'll be a nice soft buff color throughout every room of the house. Neutral but inviting.

I have done the trick of fresh cookies just out of the oven (Pillsbury refrigerator cookie dough does the trick), or a bit of simmering cinnamon on the stove. Not so much now though - everyone knows that trick by now. It is important for the house to smell good, and fresh paint smell is a good one too. Smells clean and new. I guess if I wanted to be sure that the house appeals to a guy, I could spray a can of "New Car Smell" around - that scent is irresistible to my DH!

Old 01-07-2007, 06:42 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times
The kitchen was the hardest. Never a dish in sight, not even a dishrack- that went under the sink!
Like PDX I enjoyed the last bits of $ & effort we put into the house, some new light fixtures, a new fan... we spent about $500 but our house went much faster than the other ones in the neighborhood at the time, so it was worth it.
But, beyond that, leaving the place pristine was a last "gift" to the house after living 9 years in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating